The Dark Mod Forums

The Aftermath

Hylix Ulyx

I'm a lazy bastard. Insomuch as this is a true statement, I ignored the search function, therefore, if my question has already been asked and/or answered, please beat me. Even if it hasn't....

And now, the question:

Since the Dark Mod is really a toolset (though, from what we've seen, the campaign will be hax0rz :P ), once the "editor" is finished, will there eventually be an addtional forum for those of us who would like to recruit others to aid in the creation of our own FM's using your tools?

Thanks in advance,

Hylix.

Edited by Hylix Ulyx

Um...I'm gonna push the boat out and say YES. We'll probably have a bug forum, a question forum and perhaps more.

We have other ways to help you help yourself as well; there is a documentation forum being slowly filled with tips and tricks as we make the tools, and we may well set up a wiki similar to the T3 editing one at ttlg.com

Hopefully we might get a forum at TTLG too, on release.

Here's how I predict it'll go:

1. We'll release the mod.

2. If people take to it, tons of questions will be asked on Thief Gen.

3. Moderators will eventually get fed up with us clogging the boards

4. We'll get our own forum.

So the secret to getting our own forum is: Piss Off The TTLG Moderators.

I've already started! :D

Who gives a fuck about TTLG.

Why do we need to rent one of their seedy little back rooms, when we already have a 26 room mansion here. and can build an extension any time we like.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Aye I'd rather start our own community here. Through the looking glass is fine, but I'd rather stay on this side for the time being. A forum there would tie our Thief inspired project directly to Thief itself, as if we were stealing the series. This isn't Thief, it's the Dark Mod.

well if ever there was a forum on TTLG, we'd all need to be admins there to prevent a T3 flamewar and the fact that we actually KNOW what we made ourselves.

IMO, it is somewhat better letting us handle it. But that's not to say I don't want the TTLG folks to be CRAZY MAD IN LOVE with Dark Mod, I obviously do; they are our main audience in one respect. But the forums as a whole are part of a much larger community, and we have to respect the Admin's wishes.

Exactly - the Thief areas are onlyone small part of the 30 or so TTLG forums, I don't know why people see that as the Mecca of thiefy stealth. Half the members there don't even visit its various Thief forums.

Anyone ionterested in the Dark Mod will be coming here anyway, just like if the Ion boards hadn't shut down, the most important T3ed forums would have been there.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

TTLG is just so well known and so popular Oddity, that even if ISA forums were open I think that the T3Ed stuff would still be at TTLG. The editor was given to TTLG bigwigs for testing after all, and the wiki is there.

But the Thievery forums were only at TTLG before it's release, then it moved over to the BlackCat forums.

TDM is akin to Thievery - a total conversion inspired by Thief, but not Thief. Therefore the main editing forums should be here (IMHO).

However, the FM forums at TTLG are a different thing altogether. When TDM FMs start coming out there will doubtless be questions posted there and that might be approproate really. Since TDM is primarily a toolset and FM creators can make whatever they like and ther is no question that some of the FMs will be set in the Thief world. Eidos might not like that but they have no control over it (do they?) and it will happen.

At the very least TTLG will have a big-ass-in-your-face link to this site and the forums here. Although perhaps not antagonising some of the admins (as has been done before) would be a sound plan.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

But the Thievery forums were only at TTLG before it's release, then it moved over to the BlackCat forums.

It's interesting that that's actually probably the main reason I didn't take part in Thievery play (despite it apparently being great, and my having UT) when it was the thing to be doing. It just didn't have the exposure necessary to attract probably 90% of the people it could have ultimately attracted, had it been more in the public eye. Sadly, I guess I didn't notice beyond the mentions that it was being done.

A thing kinda has to be IN people's faces for them to notice, usually.

No matter how much the TTLG boards deteriorate, the thick stench of elitism pervades viciously. My "Hylix Supplement" thread would've gotten flamed to a crisp and locked on that board. Even Cobra6's fine artwork, though initially well-recieved, would've eventually met a scathing bloated monologue courtesy of Gingerbread Man served with a side of lock.

I had an "insane rant" thread up once that, although it was never locked, got a visit from GBM. We had small banter, but he can't help but be patronizing. It's his "persona".

Unless they really know you, there isn't a whole lot they'll tolerate.

But that's the trick.

I agree with Renzatic. Once the Admins get tired of locking TDM threads, and not wishing to alienate themselves from the many already interested regulars, they'll just give in and casually insist all topics be started at the new TDM Editors Forum courtesy of TTLG.

Of course, they'll make it seem like it was all thier idea.

Don't get me wrong. There are alot of great folks there who just want to talk shop about Thief and other innovative games, as well as talk about just general everyday shit.

Unfortunately, none of those people Administrate or Moderate TTLG.

If it seems like I"m trashing them abit, I am a little.

I've just never understood how elitism could flourish at a video game forum.

I don't know how many times I've read a post from a member implying, insinuating, and outright saying "get a life!" to another forum member.

When you post more than one hundred times in forum deveopled for fans of a video game, that boat they call "Get A Life" has already set sail.

Hylix.

Edited by Hylix Ulyx

Hmm. Yeah, I never saw much of a problem with TTLG (Ion was annoying, but TTLG is generally good) but then again, I rarely leave the Thief subforums. And there, it's pretty much as expected - there are long timers, newbies, and everything in between. Assholes and benefactors, too - a pretty normal mix. Community chat? Heh, I won't touch that, unless the exposed hot-topic item is something that really catches my attention.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't get me wrong.  There are alot of great folks there who just want to talk shop about Thief and other innovative games, as well as talk about just general everyday shit.

Unfortunately, none of those people Administrate or Moderate TTLG.

I am a moderator at the Eidos Thief forums (kick me if you like), and I also spend a lot of time at the TTLG Fan Mission forum. I work with the TTLG Fan Mission people frequently when beta testing fan missions. So far as I know, that last statement is simply not true, at least in the FM forum. General Chat may be something else... I don't know. Anyway, I know one moderator in the FM forum who would be unhappy to know you feel this way. Really, I think that they would be, and they already are, very appreciative of your work, just as I am. This does not mean that you should not have your own forums. But I would think that if TTLG starts a Dark Mod forum it would be a good thing for The Dark Mod.

Edited by smithpd

I was making a sweeping generalized statement, for effect of course.

And with all sweeping, generalized statement, there are always a few (or most) for whom the statement does not apply.

Apparently, from some of the replies to my statement, I'm one of the few who shares my general distaste for the forums...so I just won't go there anymore, and keep my gullet shut about it.

As for inadvertantly scooping you into my angry stew, I apologize...though I will say I meant mostly the Comm Chat and Thief Gen forums.

Hylix.