The Dark Mod Forums

Ost Dark Mod Vol. 1

pakmannen

cover.jpg

So, I went trough our ambients and picked out 10 longer pieces, and made a little mini-album. This could be something we release May 1. The tracklisting is:

1. Saxmeister - Victrola (0:33)

2. Saxmeister - Mansion 1 (2:45)

3. Saxmeister - Mansion 2 (0:48)

4. mrDischarged - Mansion 3 (1:32)

5. Saxmeister - Underground 1 (0:48)

6. Pakmannen - Underground 2 (2:39)

7. mrDischarged - Church 1 (1:46)

8. Schatten - Church 2 (1:14)

9. Muze - Musicbox (1:34)

10. Tyrot - Darkmod Teaser (1:59)

It's on the FTP. Audio/darkmod_ost1.zip

Link here

If anyone has any suggestions on tunes which should or should not be there, speak up.

Also, it would be cool if Oddity could do that Travolta pose with the haunt model. We could use it as the album cover. :)

I think we should add a couple more. MrD's (I think) Caveambient1b and Schatten's caveloop should go in there. If you put in caveloop, change it to a city ambient...for some reason it reminds me more of lonely streets than a cave. Maybe even Twins1 as well...it was a good track.

Also, on Muze's musicbox..is there a way you can make the musicbox chimes a little softer? I thought it sounded better when they were in the background a bit more.

I think it would be better if the OST contained worked-over versions of the songs, rather than what was designed for use ingame. A few reasons come to mind:

We can add some proper intro/outro to the songs - I know I would like to listen to a fleshed-out song rather than an ambient loop. Second, we can safely add sounds that would be distracting in the game. Third, we can give the songs ample playlength.

And for selfish reasons, I'd rather have a "proper" version of my songs released. ;)

I think it would be better if the OST contained worked-over versions of the songs, rather than what was designed for use ingame. A few reasons come to mind:

We can add some proper intro/outro to the songs - I know I would like to listen to a fleshed-out song rather than an ambient loop. Second, we can safely add sounds that would be distracting in the game. Third, we can give the songs ample playlength.

And for selfish reasons, I'd rather have a "proper" version of my songs released. ;)

Well, there are two problems with this:

1. It may give people the wrong impression. They might think all music ingame will sound like this.

2. Most of the people who made the music are no longer around. Not sure if I feel comfortable messing around with other people's work.

Other than that it is of course a good idea, and I agree with you. It's more fun to listen to a more complete song than ingame music. ;)

Okey, I moved this topic over here instead. I've been thinking about what you said Shatten, and maybe we should do a mix of both more ambient oriented tracks, and more melodic/edited songs.

You (Shatten) has only got one track on (the church thing, which you said you wanted to work on a bit more, right?) right now. You should have at least one more. (You've got some good stuff for sure :) ). So what other track would you like to see on the list?

The new contributor fella, drewb50, should also get at least one track on the soundtrack. I'll have to talk to him about that.

Renzatic wanted to also add a bunch of shorter ambient pieces between the longer tracks. How does everyone feel about that?

New Horizon, have you started doing any recordings yet? Would be cool if we had a guard saying something as well. Maybe we should even include some sfx much like the Kill Bill Soundtrack did.

Actually, I changed my mind about the church track. You can use this version for the OST if you like, but it wouldn't work in the game, because it fades in/out.

For my second track, I would provide either darkwood, children, or the twins once I made a proper track from that. I'll try to stick with the deadline. :)

I think it would be ok to include some sfx, as this OST is actually more a score and gives people an idea of how the game will sound like. If we feel like it, we can always release a real "OST" when the mod comes out or later on, with worked over tracks made for listening as "stand-alones".

Actually, I changed my mind about the church track. You can use this version for the OST if you like, but it wouldn't work in the game, because it fades in/out.

Actually, it will. :) The "themes" aren't meant to loop, but be more like the music in Thief 3, if you played that. Think the Widow's mansion where the "theme" played once every two minutes or something like that. I guess the church track could be a little longer but overall I think it works fine.

For my second track, I would provide either darkwood, children, or the twins once I made a proper track from that. I'll try to stick with the deadline. :)

Man I'm looking forward to the twins track, hehe. :)

I think it would be ok to include some sfx, as this OST is actually more a score and gives people an idea of how the game will sound like. If we feel like it, we can always release a real "OST" when the mod comes out or later on, with worked over tracks made for listening as "stand-alones".

Yeah. Also notice how I called it Vol. 1. In 6 months or so we could release another one with new tracks etc. And yes, maybe create a "real" soundtrack with cutscene music, reworked tracks and stuff like that.

Yeah, the volumes 1-whatever idea sounds great.... Give 'em a tease now and we can all do remixes/extended versions later.....

Yeah, the Twins track is great! I've been listening to that one way too much!

Soundtrack (OST) is a great idea! Thanks, Pak!

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Ey saxy! You're... alive! Unless you're some evil robot clone sent here to take your place. But then again, who cares as long as you keep making those things with sound in them. So, to get back on topic, now that you're here, what tracks of yours do you want on the ost?

<evil robot voice>No, really... it's me.... I'm Saxmeister!!! Honestly....</evil robot voice>

Seriously, you pick what you think is best. I've got some more I will start work on this weekend. I think I'm going to finally be able to start work again. I had a computer malfunction (I had to replace a memory stick went bad and corrupted my Windows registry completely!) so that put me behind even more. But, I'm getting back on track now!

I agree with Renz's choice of adding more of MrD and Schatten's things to the tracklist. How about some more of your own, Pak????? 15-17 tracks is a good number! :) I'm just flattered to have had mine put on the "album" on the first place! Thanks!

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Okay, quick question (I may sound crazy after this....)

I just downloaded the OST file and was listening to the tracks.

Track 2 is Mansion 1.... it has it credited by me, but I honestly don't remember writing this one?!?!?!? Is this someone else's file with my name on it? If it was written by me then just laugh and keep going about your regular business, but if it wasn't then that person should have the credit.

Again, maybe I'm crazy!!!! It's been a while since I've been able to sit down and do sfx/ambients so I can't remember....

Haha Sax, I know how you feel!

It's not one of mine, I'm pretty sure.

Pak, the second song from me is one of those:

http://www.m-tex.net/schatten/amb_twins_full.ogg

http://www.m-tex.net/schatten/amb_darkwood_full.ogg

Your choice. If you decide for darkwood, just apply a small fade in/out. It's designed to loop and wil sound a bit cut off this way. :)

Okay, quick question (I may sound crazy after this....)

I just downloaded the OST file and was listening to the tracks.

Track 2 is Mansion 1.... it has it credited by me, but I honestly don't remember writing this one?!?!?!? Is this someone else's file with my name on it? If it was written by me then just laugh and keep going about your regular business, but if it wasn't then that person should have the credit.

Again, maybe I'm crazy!!!! It's been a while since I've been able to sit down and do sfx/ambients so I can't remember....

Heh, that's the only one I didn't have a name attached to. ;) It must be mrD's then.

I'm going through all the new ones now, so we should have a new tracklist pretty soon.

Alright, I added a whole bunch of new stuff, there is currently 19 tracks. I also got rid of the pretty booring titles and instead named them the way the authors first did (as far as I could remember anyway). 4 of the tracks lack these "titles" though, so that should be fixed.

I also didn't work much with the order of the tracks, so if you guys could try something with that it would be great. Just post the trackorder you'd like to see.

Also added two or so shorter ambients, like Renzatic wanted. Including drewb50's frogs. :D

Well, here's the current list:

1. Saxmeister - Victrola (0:33)

2. MrD - Mansion 1 RENAME (2:45)

3. Saxmeister - Mansion 2 RENAME (0:48)

4. mrDischarged - Mansion 3 RENAME (1:32)

5. Shatten - Twins (2:42)

6. Schatten - Clockworks (0:15)

7. drewb50 - Mechanists (1:56)

8. mrDischarged - Cathedral (1:46)

9. Schatten - Defiled church (1:14)

10. drewb50 - Chant (0:32)

11. Muze - Musicbox (1:34)

12. Muze - Alienbirds (0:53)

13. Shatten - Darkwood (2:19)

14. drewb50 - Frogs (0:04)

15. Pakmannen - Underground (2:39)

16. Saxmeister - Caves (0:48)

17. Theo - Underwater (0:30)

18. drewb50 - Ambient01RemixB RENAME (3:40)

19. Tyrot - Darkmod Teaser (1:59)

And you can grab it here: (no meta-data in those files, so winamp might place them in the wrong order and display wrong names)

http://www.tjoff.com/saker/darkmod_ost1_version2.zip

(It's not on our own ftp since I couldn't connect to it)