The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Accountant 2: New In Town by Goldwell (2016/05/09)

Goldwell

Apologies if this is a necro, but just wanna say I recently got into TDM over the new year (despite the original Thief trilogy being one of my favorite things of all time since they came out... no idea why it took me so long!) and just wanted to say I adore this FM a lot. Like seriously amazing work - and I've played your other stuff too. The second half of the mission could have maybe been spun off into its own map, but yeah, the apartment building and neighboring ones was some top tier stuff. Any plans for The Accountant 3?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RoboChrist 9000 said:

Apologies if this is a necro, but just wanna say I recently got into TDM over the new year (despite the original Thief trilogy being one of my favorite things of all time since they came out... no idea why it took me so long!) and just wanted to say I adore this FM a lot. Like seriously amazing work - and I've played your other stuff too. The second half of the mission could have maybe been spun off into its own map, but yeah, the apartment building and neighboring ones was some top tier stuff. Any plans for The Accountant 3?

Thank you for the kind words!

Sorry to say but currently there are no plans for the accountant 3.

• Like 1

A mission that I really like and that invites me to replay it, always finding new details. But when playing it again this time in 2.09 I had a strange failure at the end, after being on the train, with the credits, at the end of these, instead of going to the menu of the finished mission and the statistics, I find a screen completely black, although I was allowed to move and even the footsteps could be heard, but nothing was seen.
I had to leave the mission, unable to finish it.

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

11 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

A mission that I really like and that invites me to replay it, always finding new details. But when playing it again this time in 2.09 I had a strange failure at the end, after being on the train, with the credits, at the end of these, instead of going to the menu of the finished mission and the statistics, I find a screen completely black, although I was allowed to move and even the footsteps could be heard, but nothing was seen.
I had to leave the mission, unable to finish it.

Thanks letting me know!

It sounds like the objectives are broken somehow, i'll have to go in rewire them for the next mission update.

• Like 1

Thanks, when you can. It is a great mission and among my favorites. The mission as such works flawless, only it fails in the end after the credits

For if it's useful, in case the cause depends on my system, I add the specifications.

Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST

Win10 64 build 1909

CPU
AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G 2 Cores -3,1 GHz - 8Gb

GPU1
AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics
Principal/Integrado/Híbrido - 1Gb

GPU2
Radeon(TM) 530
Discreto/Híbrido - 2Gb

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, RowanMercer33 said:

I have a quick question I am new to the game and am in the middle of the quest right now.I’m in John’s apartment and I stole the ruby from the skull.Now I’m stuck fighting the skeleton.Question is he killable or do I need to sneak past?

Also if I’m in the wrong section of the forum I apologize 

• 4 weeks later...

All this free time really got me to explore all the missions I've somehow missed. Like the Accountant 1 & 2. Got through 1 without getting stuck, but not this one lol.

I don't know how/where to proceed. I'm in the building (1st floor) where the broken elevator is. Went back up the vent to find the 'vent note' & back to the start, but I can't find anyway out of these 2 buildings connected to each other with the vent duct. Please help. 

Edited by Acolytesix

1 hour ago, Acolytesix said:

All this free time really got me to explore all the missions I've somehow missed. Like the Accountant 1 & 2. Got through 1 without getting stuck, but not this one lol.

I don't know how/where to proceed. I'm in the building (1st floor) where the broken elevator is. Went back up the vent to find the 'vent note' & back to the start, but I can't find anyway out of these 2 buildings connected to each other with the vent duct. Please help. 

Hint:

Spoiler

One of the rooms includes a globe. Examine this item more closely...

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I remember playing this a while back, probably around 2017-2018 but it was long enough to forget most things about it so it was a genuine pleasure to play it again. I do remember how for some reason it didn't exit the mission after the credits back when I first played it, but this version worked perfectly so that's a relief (I need my mission stats to see how badly my stealth went).

That said...

On 3/23/2021 at 11:08 PM, Goldwell said:

Sorry to say but currently there are no plans for the accountant 3.

Oh man, the mission ended on something of a cliffhanger and even promised a sequel in the credits (Postal Service). I'm curious to know why plans fell through.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

1 hour ago, Xolvix said:

I remember playing this a while back, probably around 2017-2018 but it was long enough to forget most things about it so it was a genuine pleasure to play it again. I do remember how for some reason it didn't exit the mission after the credits back when I first played it, but this version worked perfectly so that's a relief (I need my mission stats to see how badly my stealth went).

That said...

Oh man, the mission ended on something of a cliffhanger and even promised a sequel in the credits (Postal Service). I'm curious to know why plans fell through.

Yeah, this is one of my favourite missions, very impressive in all regards.

10 hours ago, Xolvix said:

That said...

I tried quite a few times to make a sequel but kept running into technical issues. The mission started you on a moving train which was traveling through the snowy mountains. But there were lots of logistical and technical issues I ran into with the train. And because the train was such a big part of what I had planned I didn’t want to just throw that away and do something else.

I had tried reaching out to Grayman who worked quite tirelessly to try and fix the issues I was encountering but ultimately he couldn’t get it working so I just gave up on that version of accountant 3. 

After this I tried to make a mission which was quite different but nothing felt right to me and I couldn’t settle on anything I liked so I moved on to other projects.

I know it sucks to leave something on a cliffhanger. But I tried my best to make it happen and it just didn’t work out. Sorry!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Goldwell said:

I know it sucks to leave something on a cliffhanger. But I tried my best to make it happen and it just didn’t work out. Sorry!

All good, the creative process is such that this happens sometimes. Not like it's a complete loss, plus there's always the chance to make references to the story in other projects if set in the same universe without having to make a direct sequel (if it makes sense). Anyway, thanks for responding!

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2021 at 11:01 PM, Goldwell said:

I tried quite a few times to make a sequel but kept running into technical issues. The mission started you on a moving train which was traveling through the snowy mountains. But there were lots of logistical and technical issues I ran into with the train. And because the train was such a big part of what I had planned I didn’t want to just throw that away and do something else.

I had tried reaching out to Grayman who worked quite tirelessly to try and fix the issues I was encountering but ultimately he couldn’t get it working so I just gave up on that version of accountant 3. 

After this I tried to make a mission which was quite different but nothing felt right to me and I couldn’t settle on anything I liked so I moved on to other projects.

I was gonna ask for Chapter 3 but now I read this.
Damn, that sucks, this explains all the years it took though, I remember playing this back in 2017, I replayed it just yesterday and I'm surprised I don't remember much of it, it's a great mission, legendary.

I'm saddened to know that Chapter 3 is on hold, but at least you are still active and making more other great missions, I hope you will find a way to breakthrough the issues you're having with Chapter 3, I can hardly wait!
It really is one of the best TDM missions, I just LOVE how the mission

Spoiler

suddenly turns into something "mystic" at the end, that Reaper is scary, too

Edited by The Black Arrow
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm still playing this. Fantastic mission. I just can't find

Spoiler

where the attic is where I'm supposed to find the orb. I found at least 2 attics, one with a garden in it, the orb wasn't there.

Nevermind. I already found it. Would make it a bit more logical if you could put it in your inventory. But I guess this makes it more puzzly.

Here some screenshots of things I encountered while playing:

Spoiler

ac2_2022-03-22_22_11_12.jpg.c2b8cf36bd99846dd2ebaff177bc1f09.jpg

ac2_2022-03-22_21_08_34.jpg.e86b8097d9d40705fb5e8f0d06d859f9.jpg

ac2_2022-03-22_21_22_02.jpg.6f0b372c893981f3ae0f75cb7738876b.jpg

ac2_2022-03-19_23_27_47.jpg.615560498e35808f9338aa2eab029c34.jpg

ac2_2022-03-19_23_13_10.jpg.ec4ae766109d2ab5c0efdb3babb4f3e3.jpg

ac2_2022-03-19_23_31_05.jpg.1044d6648e61ad1cb885064f05837f7b.jpg

ac2_2022-03-22_20_59_13.jpg.cee68d9b32c8badc53f50251f0f869c7.jpg

ac2_2022-03-22_20_58_58.jpg.c3e860dba40f5ada3a786a7ccbf78f7b.jpg

Also, could you give me a hint about Lord Balcon's big treasure? I have no clue where I could find it.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, datiswous said:

Hi, I'm still playing this. Fantastic mission. I just can't find

Hide contents

where the attic is where I'm supposed to find the orb. I found at least 2 attics, one with a garden in it, the orb wasn't there.

Nevermind. I already found it. Would make it a bit more logical if you could put it in your inventory. But I guess this makes it more puzzly.

Here some screenshots of things I encountered while playing:

Reveal hidden contents

ac2_2022-03-22_22_11_12.jpg.c2b8cf36bd99846dd2ebaff177bc1f09.jpg

ac2_2022-03-22_21_08_34.jpg.e86b8097d9d40705fb5e8f0d06d859f9.jpg

ac2_2022-03-22_21_22_02.jpg.6f0b372c893981f3ae0f75cb7738876b.jpg

ac2_2022-03-19_23_27_47.jpg.615560498e35808f9338aa2eab029c34.jpg

ac2_2022-03-19_23_13_10.jpg.ec4ae766109d2ab5c0efdb3babb4f3e3.jpg

ac2_2022-03-19_23_31_05.jpg.1044d6648e61ad1cb885064f05837f7b.jpg

ac2_2022-03-22_20_59_13.jpg.cee68d9b32c8badc53f50251f0f869c7.jpg

ac2_2022-03-22_20_58_58.jpg.c3e860dba40f5ada3a786a7ccbf78f7b.jpg

Also, could you give me a hint about Lord Balcon's big treasure? I have no clue where I could find it.

Re: I'm not sure what treasure you're referring to sorry. What gave you a hint that Lord Balcon had a big treasure?

I haven't played this mission in many years and have forgotten a lot of the finer details haha :)

Re: the bugs you found, those are quite interesting! When the mission was released there was an issue with that safe I believe, but the shadow bugs weren't there. That does appear to be a problem with running an old mission (I think this was a 2.03 mission) on 2.10.

However I do plan to go through and update all of my older missions for 2.10 at some point, so i'll add those bugs to my todo list, thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Goldwell said:

Re: I'm not sure what treasure you're referring to sorry. What gave you a hint that Lord Balcon had a big treasure?

Spoiler

ac2_2022-03-24_02_04_18.thumb.jpg.3b03b9d2589042a729e3046a8029b681.jpg

21 hours ago, Goldwell said:

Re: the bugs you found, those are quite interesting! When the mission was released there was an issue with that safe I believe, but the shadow bugs weren't there. That does appear to be a problem with running an old mission (I think this was a 2.03 mission) on 2.10.

The safe bug was also in Away 0: Stolen Heart  , I don't know if Geep was able to fix it. The shadow bug I also encountered in Betrayal (nice old mission).

Edited by datiswous

Regarding the bad performance near the luminous mushrooms, I suppose that must be because each one is a light source. So you have a lot of light sources close together with overlapping light radii, and that's a recipe for bad performance. You could fix this by setting each one to "extinguished" "1" and putting a single light source in the middle of each mushroom patch.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

4 hours ago, datiswous said:
  Reveal hidden contents

ac2_2022-03-24_02_04_18.thumb.jpg.3b03b9d2589042a729e3046a8029b681.jpg

The safe bug was also in Away 0: Stolen Heart  , I don't know if Geep was able to fix it. The shadow bug I also encountered in Betrayal (nice old mission).

Taking a guess i'd say that was probably the stuff inside the safe then. Definitely need to have a look at that.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:09 AM, Goldwell said:

Taking a guess i'd say that was probably the stuff inside the safe then. Definitely need to have a look at that.

No it wasn't. Like I said, you can get the stuff from the safe, but you have to close it and then open it again so that the stuff inside gets frobable again. Also,

Spoiler

this is the safe that fixes the elevator so otherwise it would stop progress.

The way this happens I think is that when I lockpick the door of the safe, I stand close to the door. When I open the lock the door swings open, but is blocked by me standing too close, so I have to close it, step back and open it again, but that is the second instance of opening, which makes the stuff unfrobble somehow.

The automatic opening after picking lock doesn't work propperly most of the time, because of player blocking the door. I was already thinking an automatic step back could be scripted in before open action. So the script would have to take into account the minimal distance to open of whatever it is you open and moves the player that distance backward when it is opened. This could give problems with stuff placed behind the player though.

Also, the

Spoiler

place where you are teleported to with the orb. The brightly lid room with the guy walking to the safe, saying some stuff (some of the background audio should be toned down a bit I think, it's hard to hear what he says) and then noticing you when walking toward you and then you are teleported back. Are you supposed to be able to do something here? I was frozen there it seemed. It was unclear to me what the scene meant, maybe you go forward in time to daylight?

Edited by datiswous
safe, not save (although it might be related)

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings I wanted to let the author know about a particular bug, that I've encountered. When I was playing through the accountant 2. Slight Spoilery section so read on your of discretion.

Spoiler

In the flat of the sleeping cultist the objective appears to bring the "magical orb" back to the cauldron. And as I've found the said orb and carried it all the way to the apartment I placed it inside the cauldron to complete the objective. But there was no interaction. I tried few times putting the orb in and out but simply the cauldron nor the task changed. I assume it may have something to do with that me updating to the current version that is 2.10. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KalaviKnight said:

Greetings I wanted to let the author know about a particular bug, that I've encountered. When I was playing through the accountant 2. Slight Spoilery section so read on your of discretion.

Hide contents

In the flat of the sleeping cultist the objective appears to bring the "magical orb" back to the cauldron. And as I've found the said orb and carried it all the way to the apartment I placed it inside the cauldron to complete the objective. But there was no interaction. I tried few times putting the orb in and out but simply the cauldron nor the task changed. I assume it may have something to do with that me updating to the current version that is 2.10. 

Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

I will mark that down as something to fix for the next version release.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:38 PM, KalaviKnight said:

I assume it may have something to do with that me updating to the current version that is 2.10. 

It's not that I don't believe you and I hope Goldwell will fix it, but I played with 2.10 recently and did not have this issue.