The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Accountant 2: New In Town by Goldwell (2016/05/09)

Goldwell

My gosh this was a wild ride! The city section alone could stand on its own!

The level design and story/readables were fantastic! I really liked the music; especially 

Spoiler

in the gambling den and in the lobby where you meet the special thief character. The "expected ending" in the sewers, when the grim reaper comes for you was exciting and freaky. I really enjoyed traveling through the portals to new and exciting places.

I know it's been quite a few years since this mission was created, but I hope the sequel is still in the works!

Edited by SirGen
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I don't think it needs to be a spoiler but I'm having trouble with the Pagan Orb. I only read here that you have to be very gentle with it and let's just say I wasn't. I fired it across the rooftop to the terrace with the priest and then fired it up into the ducts then so I'd say it is well and truly broken. I thought I had a save before I picked it up but I don't, and the thing doesn't interact with the other part of the puzzle whatever I try. I tried everything, is it only a restart or is there a console command I can use? Thanks. Loving the mission so far.

The placement of the orb is a bit finicky, but IIRC you just have to drop it into the pot.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

7 hours ago, datiswous said:

Are you sure you use the right orb?

Spoiler

I presume it is. It is up in the attic of the cultists house. When you are looking at the cultist chest on the right hand side of the screen there is a box up against the left hand wall and the Pagan Orb is between this box and the wall? It looks like it is the right thing but it could be completely wrong seeing as it doesn't do anything.

It should be a green crystal-looking thing on a spiky stand, that lights up blue when you're holding it. Is that what you've got?

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

On 12/30/2022 at 9:50 PM, thebigh said:

It should be a green crystal-looking thing on a spiky stand, that lights up blue when you're holding it. Is that what you've got?

It's a green spiky thing that lights up blue when I pick it up but it's not on a stand. It looks like a hand grenade. I think I need to play the mission again in case I broke something. I was up in that attic before I found out about the pagan orb.

Edited by evildiesel

It's always sad to have a story end before it's time. The best stories utilize techniques but aren't driven by it. It sounds like you were indeed heading into Avatar territory. Not for the lapse in time between instalments, but for the pizzazz you felt was needed to tell the story.  Too bad. I will always like and replay The Accountant 2. Thank you for that gift.

21 hours ago, CountMorillonite said:

It's always sad to have a story end before it's time. The best stories utilize techniques but aren't driven by it. It sounds like you were indeed heading into Avatar territory. Not for the lapse in time between instalments, but for the pizzazz you felt was needed to tell the story.  Too bad. I will always like and replay The Accountant 2. Thank you for that gift.

If you haven't played the Shadows of Northdale missions yet, I highly recommend to do so. The Accountant 2 was good, but, the Shadows of Northdale missions are quite a step ahead in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

@Goldwell

ac2_2022-03-22_22_11_12.jpg.c2b8cf36bd99846dd2ebaff177bc1f09.jpg.34410d24aee1cdeb2de33d622d5450d8.jpg

This missing material I found in TDM 2.03:

Spoiler
// Modified: AluminumHaste
textures/darkmod/glass/stained_glass_hammers_one_sided
{
    noshadows
    translucent
    glass
    forceoverlays
    sort decal
    sort nearest
	forceOpaque
	sort postProcess

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/window/ornate/round_hammer_orange_ed

description "A highly ornate transluscent stained glass window of the Builder."

{
        vertexProgram heatHaze.vfp
        vertexParm  0  0 , 0  // texture scrolling
        vertexParm  1  2  // magnitude of the distortion

fragmentProgram heatHaze.vfp
        fragmentMap 0  _currentRender
        fragmentMap 1  textures/darkmod/glass/round_hammer_local
    }
	//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	{
		blend gl_dst_alpha, gl_one
		maskalpha
		cubeMap env/gen1
		// tone down the reflection a bit
		red     Parm0 * 0.2
		green   Parm1 * 0.2
		blue    Parm2 * 0.2
		texgen  reflect
	}
	// add our texture on top
	{
		blend   gl_dst_color, gl_one
		map	textures/darkmod/glass/round_hammer_local
		red     Parm0
		green   Parm1
		blue    Parm2
	}
	{
		blend filter
		map textures/darkmod/window/ornate/round_hammer_orange
	}

// This is the code required for frob highlighting this texture
	{
		if ( parm11 > 0 )
			blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
			map         _white
			rgb         0.40 * parm11
   	}
	{
		if ( parm11 > 0 )
			blend       add
			map         textures/darkmod/window/ornate/round_hammer_orange
			rgb         0.15 * parm11
	}
	bumpmap textures/darkmod/glass/round_hammer_local
	specularmap textures/darkmod/window/ornate/round_hammer_s

// TDM Ambient Method Related 
	{							
		if (global5 == 1)		
		blend add				
		map				_black		
		scale			1, 1		
		red				global2	
		green			global3	
		blue			global4	
	}							
	{							
		if (global5 == 2)		
		blend add				
		program	ambientEnvironment.vfp	
		vertexParm		0		1, 1, 1, 1		// UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump	
		vertexParm		1		1, 1, 1, 1	// (X,Y) UV Scale for specular		
		vertexParm		2		global2, global3, global4, 1	

fragmentMap		0		cubeMap env/gen1				
		fragmentMap		1		textures/darkmod/glass/round_hammer_local			// Bump				
		fragmentMap		2		_black			// Diffuse			
		fragmentMap		3		textures/darkmod/window/ornate/round_hammer_s			// Specular			
	}
}

This does have vertex program code (arb?) still in it, not sure if really needed.

This is how it looks ingame (when I add the material to the fms material folder):

ac2(2023-03-1820-27-14)(154.831003.231358.59).thumb.jpg.6b502a8862b964d52c275ce103941d70.jpg

Not sure if this is how it's supposed to look, but better than nothing.

This texture now shows up fine (previously I reported there was a black square on it). Maybe Dragofer fixed it for 2.11:

Spoiler

ac2(2023-03-1820-46-26)(667.36-369.151166.69).thumb.jpg.f805582b7d92357d518cd3093062cf66.jpg

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this up so long after all the release, but since this series will probably end up cancelled, there are some things I'd like to know, if @Goldwell would be willing to share.

Spoiler

I'm still bummed this series got cancelled, it was one of my favorite maps, especially the creepy village in the mountains. It reminds me of Rodamill, but this place is somehow even more terrifying. You get the feeling of desperation these people were living through once they got stuck and isolated from the rest of the world, as the reaper picked them off one by one like sheep in the dead of night.

I suspect there was a larger theme at play we never got to see unfold, but I'm wandering what did Corbin do to attract the attention of the red reaper? Who or what is the red reaper, and who the hell is the dead guy that awaits you in the library behind the portal in the sewers? I suppose Corbin was chosen for his special skills, just like Garrett was chosen by Constantine, but what exactly did he do to get the attention of these supernatural entities? What's the deal with those entities, and why are they fighting against each other for the ownership of the jewels? Speaking of the jewels, what exactly are they?

And finally, the question that bugs me the most, is the dead guy talking to you on the ledge above the city really a good guy who seeks the jewels for some noble end (maybe something to help end his undead state), or is he a villain who dupes you into working for his nefarious ends since Corbin is pressed into a corner and left with no choice?

I know I'm asking for a lot, but any bit of info you would like to divulge would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Silverflame3

• 2 months later...

With TDM 2.12, the credits showed the cursor during the credits along with some warnings printed to the console.

Here's a fixed "credits.gui" file for Accountants 2 (version 3):
https://gist.github.com/daftmugi/f180850af5612eed149d93b8fa3c56c5

Check the "Revisions" tab on the GitHub gist to see what changed. In short, it uses "nocursor" instead of "showCursor", and it fixes the number of args passed to "transition".

ac2(2024-01-3022-07-04)(-99603616-403.75).thumb.jpg.10f77b457699e323d8e1a3f6c67bfa89.jpg

• Like 1

With TDM 2.12, after the credits finished, the "Mission Complete" screen did not display. I found that the screen was black and I could hear my footsteps when I tried to move around.

I think the reason for the mission not completing successfully was that the "Do not kill or harm allies" objective was never marked as "1 = STATE_COMPLETE" instead it was left as "0 = STATE_INCOMPLETE". Note, I didn't use noclip throughout the mission.

Same as: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/18054-fan-mission-the-accountant-2-new-in-town-by-goldwell-20160509/&do=findComment&comment=458491

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I felt like an absolute dunce, when I started the mission for the first time... Because, the note confused me. I thought that I was supposed to complete the task on the note and then return to this door, it will be open I'll talk to an NPC or something and will progress further. So I spent several minutes looking for a door outside, and finding none. I thought - maybe I need to use the window, it's partially open, I bet I can squeeze through it.
So I did, and fell out of the map, whereupon I saw the rest of the map and realized that the note was slipped under MY front door.

Had to restart =D

I enjoyed the mission, but I also missed the painting. I should've tried "the Number" right away. 
The sneaky boi was great, I wish we had encounters like that on some occasion. It's such a novelty IMO.
I wasn't attempting the Ghost so eventually I was fed up with this guard and used my gas arrow, then... this happened.

Spoiler

Op6fA3i.png

I enjoyed the final stretch, but my immersion was broken a little, because the area where we get a new mission had a missing wall and a floating tree, for some reason.

Great map, and mission.
PS: I realize that they probably just drop them, but taking first mission into the account, I can't help but think that people eat fingers with rings on them.

• Like 1