The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Accountant 2: New In Town by Goldwell (2016/05/09)

Goldwell

This mission series was the first after the Tears of St. Lucia, that I played (and completed this part II yesterday:-) ). Beautiful design, one surprise after another...and everytime I thought that's it...I was wrong. Thank you for this marvelous and briliantly balanced experience.

Thank you for the kind words :)

im glad you had a good experience, and welcome to the dark mod community

• 3 weeks later...

An odd bug occurred when I completed the mission under 2.04. The credits displayed and the screen went black. However, the game was still running as I could do things like swing the blackjack and hear the noise. I had to abort TDM with the task manager.

• Like 1

An odd bug occurred when I completed the mission under 2.04. The credits displayed and the screen went black. However, the game was still running as I could do things like swing the blackjack and hear the noise. I had to abort TDM with the task manager.

Did you use noclip or notarget while playing?

I believe the game is always still running during the gui overlays. E.g., you'll hear nearby sounds continuing in the death screen. So that part isn't strange. The bug is that something tripped up at the end of the credits and it hung. I think that'd be a problem in the gui code.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

How the ending works is that the credits GUI rolls and then at the end a trigger_once ticks off the only mandatory objective that should be active at that time which in turn completes the mission.

Considering it worked for myself, beta testers and many people who have finished the mission I'd say it's working however the only time it seems to do something as MVT describes is if someone uses the noclip or notarget console commands during the mission which causes certain triggers to miss their queue and in turn messes up the sequence to end the mission.

There might be something else going on here but everything seems to point to above. Unless there is a bug where occasional users just don't get the objective ticked off which seems like a strange one but I dunno.

• Like 1

Did you use noclip or notarget while playing?

Yes, but it was usually off. Tried to check things with noclip, but could not get console at the hang. Tried again today and got the short scene after the alter, and the hang occurred slightly later.

At all times, I saved the game before looking around in noclip. I restored the game to its pre-noclip state before continuing play.

Edited by MVT

Yes, but it was usually off. Tried to check things with noclip, but could not get console at the hang. Tried again today and got the short scene after the alter, and the hang occurred slightly later.

At all times, I saved the game before looking around in noclip. I restored the game to its pre-noclip state before continuing play.

If you technically finished the game without noclipping and notargetting via your save/load system then I have no idea what the issue could be. Perhaps you noclipped/notargeted through an area and forgot to load your save prior to that, perhaps I made a mistake while mapping, perhaps there is a bug with the game itself in regards to finishing objectives via a gui screen. I'm not sure sorry.

It's not strictly related to this beautiful FM (but to TDM lighting system/lantern in general), but what's that line?

The_Dark_Mod_2016_10_23_21_09_30_327.png
The_Dark_Mod_2016_10_23_21_15_47_270.png
It's the first time (in years!) that I see it.
Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

It's not strictly related to this beautiful FM (but to TDM lighting system in general), but what's that line?

The_Dark_Mod_2016_10_23_21_09_30_327.png
The_Dark_Mod_2016_10_23_21_15_47_270.png

On the floor is a decal texture (basically to make it look dirtier and to help break up the texture pattern), in TDM it tends to draw that line depending on distance from the decal.

However in 2.04 it was either improved or fixed. Skip to 2:14 of this video to see it in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so3hPDySfxw

Edited by Goldwell

Man I've been gone for a while. Gaming computer died. :( This is the first mission I'm playing on my new computer (aside from the training mission) and it's so lovely. The atmosphere is great.

("Hm, will I regret taking this conspicuous red stone? yES I WILL REGRET TAKING THAT CONSPICUOUS RED STONE."

("Hm, will I regret exploring this room that has furniture overturned? yES I WILL REGRET EXPLORING THAT ROOM or at least shooting that arrow.")

I'm not finished yet - I'm mostly crawling around in vents being delighted that I can explore areas adjoining the target area - but it's a great way to return to playing TDM.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the floor is a decal texture (basically to make it look dirtier and to help break up the texture pattern), in TDM it tends to draw that line depending on distance from the decal.

However in 2.04 it was either improved or fixed. Skip to 2:14 of this video to see it in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so3hPDySfxw

Uhm, it appears only on some ojects.

The_Dark_Mod_2016_11_16_00_30_12_070.png

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the noobish rant, but I can't get out of the 1st floor.

I'm done with the 3-4 tenants, the guards and the management guy(who inherited the place from his uncle) and cleared out the office. However, there seems to be a lift on this floor that I can't find anywhere.

Ran around the 1st floor 5 times and there's just no way to continue

https://s11.postimg.org/kfy64b12r/2016_12_01_10_03_07_1920x1080.png

Edited by mylaptopsbad

Sorry for the noobish rant, but I can't get out of the 1st floor.

I'm done with the 3-4 tenants, the guards and the management guy(who inherited the place from his uncle) and cleared out the office. However, there seems to be a lift on this floor that I can't find anywhere.

Ran around the 1st floor 5 times and there's just no way to continue

https://s11.postimg.org/kfy64b12r/2016_12_01_10_03_07_1920x1080.png

Take that key from your picture, go into the office which is opposite the room you're standing in. Open the door, unlock the safe in the corner and there is a button on the side (inside) the safe, press it and the elevator will be active.

Head back out to the hallway and you will notice a new door opened which is next to the little guard quarters and that is the elevator.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Where's key/way into door with gears on lock in Griswalds secret passage?

General hint

Search around Griswolds dinning room

Specific hint

Inside Griswolds dinning room is a grandfather clock, frob it to move it, then frob the button on the back of it & crawl into the little room that opens up. The key to the safe you're after is sitting on the table there.

• 1 month later...

That was a rollercoaster ride. Amazing stuff!

When I went exploring the neighbor buildings I thought to myself "wow, the scope of this mission is huge!" Oh, if only I knew what was to come :laugh:

About the creature on the second floor, it was a little disappointing that guards don't really mind skull face tenants (I lured them into finding each other). I guess if it pays the rent :P

The first gem was in an odd dome with a sky texture. I'm curious about what that was supposed to be.

One last comment. Is this an intentional homage to thief missions? because it really feels like we went through a tiny bit of a bunch of classic missions, like shipping and receiving, life of the party, break from craigscleft prison and many other bits of reference. Not to mention running errands for a god.

I had a great time! well done on awesome mission.

• Like 1

That was a rollercoaster ride. Amazing stuff!

When I went exploring the neighbor buildings I thought to myself "wow, the scope of this mission is huge!" Oh, if only I knew what was to come :laugh:

About the creature on the second floor, it was a little disappointing that guards don't really mind skull face tenants (I lured them into finding each other). I guess if it pays the rent :P

The first gem was in an odd dome with a sky texture. I'm curious about what that was supposed to be.

One last comment. Is this an intentional homage to thief missions? because it really feels like we went through a tiny bit of a bunch of classic missions, like shipping and receiving, life of the party, break from craigscleft prison and many other bits of reference. Not to mention running errands for a god.

I had a great time! well done on awesome mission.

First of all I will state that I have finished the full story of these however I will write the below information coming from the perspectives you only learn about in accountant 2.

As for the creature on the second floor aka John the jeweler, I like to leave things open to interpretation but looking at it from another perspective perhaps it is only you who is able to see his true face, that of a real monster. To the guard he might only see his regular appearance and so not be bothered by him. Perhaps by breaking into John's apartment and rummaging through his personal items you were able to break through his fascade or maybe part of the magic he possesses rubbed off onto you.

As for the crystal dome, the floating skull mentions this to you when he says "step into the portal behind me. It will take you to the first crystal, I have placed a protective shield surrounding it so no one can get in your way."

The dome that you are seeing is the protective shield, there are evil spirits who have yet to reveal themselves that are tracking down the crystals for their own gain. The spirit who possessed the floating skull has contacted you because he needs your help urgently before these other spirits can steal all crystals. The spirit is also aware that if you come into contact with one crystal it will transport you to a nearby location of the next because these crystals desire to be brought together.

This mission is definitely a homage to thief missions, during my creation of this I played through thief 1 and thief 2 as well as plenty of custom FM's. This inspired me in many ways and helped to change what was the original vision for the mission. I wanted to take the player on a journey through the supernatural where friends and foes are uncertain.

Accountant 2 only touched very lightly on this world. Accountant 3 and onwards peels back the layers in this unfamiliar universe as Corbin traverses through the unknown.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Uhm, it appears only on some ojects.

The_Dark_Mod_2016_11_16_00_30_12_070.png

No idea what you are trying to show there, just a black screen mostly.

Can you lighten it up?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I see. That's a different issue that needs to be looked at.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Only the preview is dark, the picture is fine :D

I wanted to show the problem WITHOUT the lantern on.

Edited by lowenz

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played tdm since a few years now and tried out this map. It was really nice to play! I liked the idea of a

hub level design - a few open areas which are conected in one point, so it's easier not to leave something out - I also liked the idea of completely changing the playstyle in the second part.

to optional quest where you had to put the orb in the bowl did not work for me

Where can i find "Accountant 1" ?

It is no longer available. A new and improved version is due out soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Playing this FM ATM, and really liking it. I wonder, though,

i broke in to some house, through some vents, and, in the office room, there's a strange pagan artefact, and a writing saying that there's some kind of gem hidden in the attic of the guy's brother. I wonder where that attic is, frankly, i got a bit lost in the mission, and, especially, the vent system, because it's so freaking huge, and i don't want to search all over again. I really can't imagine where the said attic, or house is, because, i literally have been everywhere, at least i feel like i have.

Edit: Nevermind, got it. :D

Knew that shovel would become good for something. :P

Or, well, that wasn't it. Guess i was in the wrong attic. So, i still have to ask where that attic where you will find the orb is.

Edited by chakkman