The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ CPU/GPU News

jaxa

Can't see the power consumption of CPU+Mobo.

In the TOMHW article it seems higher than Intel system ('cause the mobo).

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 3 weeks later...

ARM is attempting to bridge the performance gap between Apple and stock Cortex designs, and ARM and x86:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15813/arm-cortex-a78-cortex-x1-cpu-ip-diverging

You could see one or two Cortex-X1 cores alongside A78, A55, and whatever the successor to A55 is.

In other news, it looks like AMD will refresh the 3900X, 3800X, and 3600X in July with 200-300 MHz higher clock speeds:

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-matisse-refresh-ryzen-9-3900xt-ryzen-7-3800xt-ryzen-5-3600xt-cpu-benchmarks-rumor/

It might not matter much with Zen 3 around the corner. But if the pricing is attractive, it could be a good refresh for some.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the Zen 2 refreshes:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15854/amd-ryzen-3000-xt-cpus-zen-2-more-mhz

It looks worse than expected (no base clock increases!), but maybe the prices will settle below the SEPs.

A bigger disappointment would be Zen 3 delayed to January, as is being rumored.

Edit: Also looks like 3900XT and 3800XT don't come with a bundled cooler, hurting their value even more.

Edited by jaxa

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nvidia RTX 3090, 3080, 3070 announced

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16060/the-nvidia-geforce-special-event-2020-live-blog

TL;DW: RTX 3070 ($499) will have slightly better performance than RTX 2080 Ti ($1199)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16057/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-rtx-30-series-ampere-for-gaming-starting-with-rtx-3080-rtx-3090

Edited by jaxa

The real performance should be :

RTX 3090 = RTX 2080 Ti + 50-70%
RTX 3080 = RTX 2080 Ti + 20-30%
RTX 3070 = RTX 2080 Ti + ???

20 GB variant of the RTX 3080, 16 GB variant of the RTX 3070 might be available later. Nvidia can put a 3080 Ti in that gap later if AMD kicks some ass, or they could cut down 3090 to only 12 GB VRAM. (One rumor is that Nvidia is putting away the "Ti" and "Super" branding because it confuses consumers.) A new Titan will probably come in at $3,000 with 48 GB memory.

PCIe 3.0 (Intel) will be a slight bottleneck for these GPUs.

AMD's upcoming top GPUs will be able to beat 3070, and probably 3080. 3090 unlikely but possible (and not needed). AMD will try to launch by November (before Cyberpunk and Christmas season).

Update: 16 GB variant of RTX 3070 already spotted.

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

20 hours ago, Anderson said:

I've heard that a lot of companies (like Apple) will not like it. They would prefer a more neutral party like SoftBank, or more of a joint venture between several stakeholders.

I'm not sure what improvements Nvidia ownership would bring to a consumer. More frequent additions to the Tegra lineup, more Jetson Nano style dev boards, a lock on future Nintendo console hardware (ARM + Nvidia GPU)? Their ARM customizations could be made more official. None of that seems to matter. Let me know if I am missing something.

The real thing keeping ARM Holdings honest is the threat of businesses switching to RISC-V. ARM Holdings has already adjusted licensing to counter RISC-V.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

AMD Zen 3 CPU announcement on Thursday, October 8.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16077/amd-announces-ryzen-zen-3-and-radeon-rdna2-presentations-for-october-a-new-journey-begins

These will probably beat Intel's CPUs at gaming for once. Expect somewhere between 15-25% better performance. They may launch 8-core 5800X and 12-core 5900X first, and 6-core 5600X and 16-core 5950X in December.

Zen 2 prices will probably drop, so you should hold off if you were going to buy a 3900X or something.

Edit: What are you confused about?

Edited by jaxa
  • Confused 1

Ryzen 9 5950X, 16 cores, 4.9 GHz, 105W TDP, $800
Ryzen 9 5900X, 12 cores, 4.8 GHz, 105W TDP, $550
Ryzen 7 5800X, 8 cores, 4.7 GHz, 105W TDP, $450
Ryzen 5 5600X, 6 cores, 4.6 GHz, 65W TDP, $300

All available on November 5.

19% higher IPC, 26% higher gaming performance at 1080p. Should beat or tie Intel in most games.

As you can see, prices are up about $50 across the board from the Zen 2 launch prices. AMD is pretty confident these are going to fly off the shelves.

Edited by jaxa

Jeez the RTX 3090 is advertised as a gaming model, when its huge amount of vram suggest it's something for video editors or modellers. Its performance is only slightly above 3080, while it costs $1500. I really hope people are not buying into that crap.

On the other hand, RTX 3080 has a VRAM deficit with only 10 GB, which will hurt it in some games at 4K resolution (more going forward).

AMD will put 16 GB of VRAM in its flagship RTX 3080 competitor (6900 XT or whatever it will be called) and one or two more models. It might also have a cut down card with 12 GB.

Nvidia will respond by releasing a 20 GB version of RTX 3080, and a 16 GB version of RTX 3070. The price tags will be high.

Nvidia made a mistake by using new, power-hungry, and expensive GDDR6X. It should have used cheaper GDDR6 and included more of it to begin with.

24 GB or 32 GB of VRAM is also useful for machine learning, not just modelers. Gamers? Not so much just yet. Nobody wants 8K resolution gaming @ 30 FPS (be careful when looking at benchmarks, because of DLSS).

I wonder when that resolution bullshit will end. You have to be far enough from a big monitor or TV to see everything, so the panel sizes can only go so far. And the further away you sit, the more irrelevant pixel count is. I have a short-throw projector that looks brilliant at 1080p, not because of the pixel count, but the quality of the lens and the lamp.

Edited by peter_spy

4K TVs (but not OLED ones) are downright cheap, 4K video is becoming prevalent, 4K gaming is real (in reality, most people still do 1080p).

8K and up, meh. Unless you are talking about VR, where 16K is probably the end goal, but foveated rendering will reduce the GPU requirements.

1000 Hz displays are a legitimate target.

Edited by jaxa

• 3 weeks later...

Based on AMD's marketing bla, yes. As far as I read, the not verified performance is also only possible in combination with tech from the Ryzen 5xxx's (Smart Access Memory).

So, yeah, time to soft-pedal that hype-meter. ;) Wait for some independent benchmarks, then we'll see.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1