The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ CPU/GPU News

jaxa

• 2 weeks later...

ok well the threadripper is one beastly cpu omgawd... strangely it does not translate to a better gaming experience, my old board actually runs things smoother than the threadripper. where it shines is when doing multiple cpu intensive tasks like running the msys2 compiler to rebuild the whole slew of packages avaliable for it. on my old board this took days... the threadripper munches that down to hours woa!!!.

next up is raising dough for a newer gfx card, the 980 gtx ti i got hold of has been holding up nicely but i just got a 4k monitor and just running in UHD resolutions allmost fry it... in fact it gets so hot that i use it to heat my 52 m2 flat atm, ambient temperature hits around 24" with this running 🤣

The 13900K is maybe a few % faster in gaming than the 7950X/7700X while using more power and hitting higher temperatures, so 7950X3D/7800X3D are going to have free reign until Meteor Lake arrives.

17:20 average gaming results (1080p)
17:42 average gaming results (1440p)
23:00 power/temps during gaming (Cyberpunk 2077)

Edited by jaxa

amd's ryzen certainly hit a stride :) id argue that things would have looked very differently for consumers if intel had been the only player on the market eg. (multicore cpu's would have come a lot farther in the future and 64 bit also, while prices would have been a lot higher).

You don't even have to look back that far in the past. You can see the effects of ineffectual competition during AMD's Bulldozer era when Intel milked the same quad-cores over and over, and heavily segmented by disabling hyperthreading. Then they suddenly jumped to 8 cores with Coffee Lake Refresh (Coffee Lake had 6 cores but IDK if that was a reaction to Zen or planned), 10 cores with Comet Lake, regressed back to 8 cores with the Rocket Lake disaster, and bet the future on heterogeneous x86 with Alder Lake and beyond.

Now plain quad-cores are around $100 budget chips, and probably going to disappear from desktop lineups within a couple of years.

On AMD's side, they came in hot into workstations, ramped up to 64 cores, and then stagnated (releasing Pro models only and very delayed). Because there has been very little competition from Intel in workstations and the chiplets can make more money by going into Epyc CPUs.

• 2 weeks later...

finally upgraded my aging 980 ti to a 1080 ti and woooot... i can run hzd in ultra in 4k with around 60 fps now blinks 😮 also tried metro 2033 but that one does not run to well in ultra 4k i get around 29 fps.

the evil within 2 gets loads more than 60 fps in 4k so nice :) the witcher 3 also happily chucks along at around 75 fps. what i find most impressive though is that the card even at ultra settings at 4k newer goes above 55 degrees, my old one at 1440 would hit 85 to 90 degrees on some of the heavier titles above.

9 hours ago, revelator said:

btw this card is paired with an old 3930k 🤣 shows how little the cpu matters when the resolution goes up.

You'll probably hit a CPU bottleneck somewhere. Also, you are on PCIe 2.0 which could have a small impact on GPU performance.

Reminder to self to show you something later (much later).

hmm seems im not alone in getting some impressive results with this old setup paired with the 1080 ti, some other guy did this with a setup that was much like my own, his x79 board was not quite as flashy as my old asus x79 deluxe (he used a gigabyte board) but the cpu was not botllenecking it in the least :).

ill see if i can find the article again he also benchmarked this setup.

ill try to spruce it up sometime later with a 1680v2 xeon, this cpu has 2 more cores though it also clocks a little lower than my 3930k 3 ghz vs 3.2 but is unlocked and the turbo frequency is a bit higher 3.9 vs 3.8 and can be overclocked to the same levels.

it is also based on ivy bridge so can use gen 3.0 pcie without hacks with the nvidia card.

tdp is also a bit lower than the old sandy :), it does not support avx2 but neither does mine and does not matter much anyway since avx2 gives a roughly 5% boost.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

From what I've seen out of the reviews, the 7950X3D and 7900X3D should be avoided. Get a 7800X3D if you want the absolute best gaming performance, or a discounted 7900X/7950X for multi-threaded.

7950X3D reviewers are able to easily simulate the 7800X3D by disabling the CCD without 3D V-Cache.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z97 extreme6/ got myself one of these for my media pc.

strange board ... it was the only z97 board out there with real m.2 nvme, it also has a crap ton of sata connections, sadly this comes with a downside if you can call it that -> when using the nvme you forfeit the ability to use SLI as the haswell cpu's and chipset simply lacks the PCIE lanes to run both. besides that it is actually pretty well stocked and runs really stable. overclocking on the 4790k devils canyon is hit and miss though, mine does not overclock well at all :S even the slightest load will skyrocket the cpu temperatures (~35 to 95 degress in less than a second) and it flat out crashes when hitting these temps so i run it at stock. Looks like i was one of the unlucky ones who got one of the bad IAN 4 models that came out (all in that series overheat like crazy when overclocked even the slightest). Runs current games so well that i also use it for when my chums are on visit so we can play together :).

yanked it in a lian li lancool III cabby, and gave it an 360 AIO which was kinda a waste since not even the biggest cooler can keep this cpu from overheating when overclocked anyway ugh... but maybe one day i can get my hands on a model with better thermals.

probably going to delid the devils canyon and apply some kryonaut instead of the crappy tim intel used...

anyone else notice the trend where quality has degraded over the years on hardware ?, my old 3930k needs a good cooler but once that is in place it overclocks comparativly higher than any cpu from the haswell and up.

i can reach 5.2 ghz with the 3930k and it is rock stable, the normal clock on this cpu is 3.2 ghz so a 2 ghz overclock 😮 the haswell starts of at 4 ghz and the best models out there can only hit 5 ghz on liquid nitro wtf... sure the 3930k gets hot as hell at that speed but it newer hits 100 degrees the hasswell hits that at 4.6 ghz no matter the cooler used.

add to that pc cabbies made from what appears to be tissue paper sold at a premium with threads that crumble after changing cards one time (and just in case someone comes with the overtightning idea i used finger screws and no screwdriver so unless i can break your hand by shaking it id rule out that idea especially seeing as i have advanced arthritis...).

for comparison i still have my old hafx cabby and besides being rather dusty from standing in the closet for several years all threads are fine. and to put some shame on the current offerings which btw cost double what the hafx was sold for, it still beats every single cabby out there when it comes to cooling ability.

the downside of the hafx is the size and weight but tbh "it is a full tower (server size)" and it is fairly noiseless even with a full fan compliment so maybe not the worst tradeof.

and as a bonus you can still use dvd burners and 3.5" harddrives (a lot of em) and it also has room for quite a load of ssd'd or 2.5" drives.