The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The King of Diamonds by Spooks (2016/05/13)

Spooks

37 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

2. 2. Appearance

3. 3. Narrative & Text

Just got around to this mission, and I really enjoyed it. I'm not actually done, I had completed the main objectives and then an optional one popped up, and I know there's more out there I haven't found yet. I actually like that feeling a lot, that there's stuff I haven't discovered yet (like a real city). Big and complex, nicely designed, lighting is just right. For my own FMs, I'm going to have to steal from be inspired by this mission. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I've been playing this for 2 Days. I finally got to the safe, but there's no Diamond. It's my last objective. Where is it?

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:03 PM, acolyte6 said:

I've been playing this for 2 Days. I finally got to the safe, but there's no Diamond. It's my last objective. Where is it?

In case you're still having trouble here on Sunday, it's

Spoiler

still in the house, explore to the attic and it should be in a chest there.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Swedish Taffer said:

I cannot get into that attic room, where the diamond is. I guess that the guy with the key is in there, i have waited and waited, for at least half an hour. I can hear someone near, i guess in the room. Talks like a hammer maybe. Is this a bug? Or how do i get him out of that room?

He should come out of that room after a minute at most, and there shouldn't be anything he's stuck in. I don't know if the latest updates may have messed with the navfile in some way... I figure maybe he's alerted but even if so he should return to patrol sooner rather than later... I just did a test and he comes out fine, since the old man's unarmed he should run out of the room instead of pull out a sword and wait.

Try to make some noise to get him out and if you can't, I don't know what the bug's about, you may just have to noclip through. Sorry for the inconvenience. ?

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Tried to make noise, but nothing. What do you mean with "you may just have to noclip through"?
If you want to look at my save file, it would be nice :) 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X_FlBL0bFwp1PabYjg_6JPPgZAoG5EIP/view?usp=sharing

If you get him out, could you save it and post it? Or if you, or someone else could sent me a save file, where he is out, and just the diamond objective left :) 

I checked the save and not only is he stuck inside but most all of the doors don't work, so even if he wasn't stuck he wouldn't be able to open the door.

Do your doorhandles also go all the way down but not up? Is there no clicking, "locked" sound when you try to open that door? That's how it is on my end and I think a dev should look into why it's like this, it's definitely a bug or perhaps a savegame corruption.

If you don't want to restart the mission you can open the game console with ctrl+alt+` and type in "noclip" without quotes, it will allow you to fly through walls. You only need to lockpick one container that's in that room to get the diamond, fly back out and disable fly mode by typing "noclip" again. It's a cheat, obviously, but it really looks like save corruption to me and it's better than having to start over.

• 5 months later...
On 10/5/2019 at 11:51 AM, Swedish Taffer said:

I cannot get into that attic room, where the diamond is. I guess that the guy with the key is in there, i have waited and waited, for at least half an hour. I can hear someone near, i guess in the room. Talks like a hammer maybe. Is this a bug? Or how do i get him out of that room?

Same problem. Used mentioned cheat "noclip" to get inside. The landlord is desperately trying to walk to the door, but he is stuck near the chair, so he can't get any closer to his goal. Ha-ha, got him spooked from the inside. He still could not leave the room, as he was just running in circles near the door. Probably something is wrong with his patrol path.As for now,  I confirm, mission is not completable without cheats.

Still great city mission, definitely one of my favourite city missions in TDM.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It looks there's a bug, either in this mission, or in TDM, or most likely a combination of the two.  I also was wondering where the key to attic had got to, and as reported above, had to noclip inside and found the landlord walking but stuck to the chair.  That's a shame, I wonder what broke?  I'm running TDM 2.07.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just finished this one. Nice mission, I really enjoyed it.

The difficulty was just about right,

Spoiler

even though the Expert objective to not knock out anyone in the King compound came as bit of a surprise... as someone who usually KO's almost everyone, I dislike such objectives, and people who like to ghost can always ghost, regardless of any no KO objectives, while people who KO don't have that choice, when there is a no knockout objective.

I liked the gameplay, good and interesting objectives. 

Spoiler

The ritual to kill the guard captain was a nice touch, especially when you go back and check on him, haha.

Visuals were good, although I've seen better looking missions. If anything, the mission felt a tiny bit empty, because, many houses weren't accessible.

Spoiler

I also would have loved to enter the tennants. Dunno if that was possible?

Readables were great. Story telling was great. The mission reminded me a bit of the original Thief 2's Ambush mission.

Overall really impressive for your first mission.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

Following chakkman's ressurrection of this rather old thread, I decided to play this mission as well, and if the author is still interested, I've found a leak in the brushwork. It's near where you acquire the two noisemaker arrows (in the streets before you enter the tavern, near where the additional mission is located). The bright square shows the leaked geometry.

The second image depicts a piece of railing hovering in mid-air, because of a missing texture at one end, and a missing brush at the other.

The third image simply depicts me getting stuck inside a horse. I don't know if this is a map bug or an engine bug. Crouching did get me unstuck eventually. I simply clubbed the horse and got it to turn into me, to get stuck.

kingofdiamonds_2022-05-16_19.57.09.jpg

kingofdiamonds_2022-05-16_20.27.24.jpg

kingofdiamonds_2022-05-16_20.38.04.jpg

Edited by Nort

3 hours ago, Nort said:

The third image simply depicts me getting stuck inside a horse. I don't know if this is a map bug or an engine bug. Crouching did get me unstuck eventually. I simply clubbed the horse and got it to turn into me, to get stuck.

I had this as well in another mission also by clubbing. Maybe something to do with the horse entity.

• 1 year later...

Saw this FM in my list and it said my last playthrough was in 2020 so figured I'd try it again to see what was updated. What a good gem this one was! I think it's at the top when it comes to story and world building, one of the FM's where readables do a lot to immerse you and paint what's going on while events are dynamic and actually feel involved: I'd paint this as a textbook example on doing progression and elements of surprise in a FM... just my own feeling, but recent ones have become a bit too linear and predictable even if the graphics are more impressive, I feel kind of nostalgic for missions like this. With that being said, I should end with a hilarious thing that happened at the end and had me laughing out loud.

Spoiler

I did the optional objective of taking down the captain with the curse, which turned him into a flaming skeleton. I watched as the undead captain fought the guards and was ultimately defeated. Once the guards had calmed down, I used a water arrow to put the flame out once the skeleton was dead on the ground. Because the flame is marked with the AI notice spawnarg, that triggers guards complaining when they see it turned off. Thus instead of being terrified they literally fought a demonic skeleton that nearly killed them, which they were calling a thief and armed criminal on the lose at that, the guards complained about another flame being out and it being too dark to see because I put out the magic flame in the skull :D