The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Volta and the Stone by Kingsal (05/26/2016) V1.3

kingsal

Need help , looked everywhere for the

water valve , can someone give me a broad clue? Is it in either the downstairs or upstairs bath house rooms , outside the main building or what?

Thanks , sorry to be a pain.

Thanks Oldjim , don't know how I missed the obvious , I'll put it down to age ! i may have to leave this for a while , still

getting somewhere now. Climbed to the top of the stone tower after opening a gate expecting to find the main objective at the top and all I got out of it was three fire arrows! Was my journey really necessary I thought ?! Are they of use after or just a loose end to be used on the odd guard? Maybe as usual I'm off on the wrong track.

Nice scenery though!

When I pick up again I'll have a closer look , did rush it a bit through lack of time before I go away! Thanks again!

Really enjoying this, but need help with a couple doors

[spoiler]Where is the key to this door?

There's also what looks like a secret door downstairs in the pub, but I can't find a lever or button to open it[/spoiler]

Sorry, the spoiler function doesn't work for me

Edited by Azaran

I spent ages at the top of the tower

looking for the little door which had opened right under my nose!

I'm going to put that down to age as well.

Glad someone else is the same as me. :wub:

Now finished with the kind help of a couple of hints from Oldjim. Beautifully set out mission , I suspect I made it more difficult than it was with the way I played it and I expected a more killer ending. But lovely to look at and many thanks for making it and giving me a couple or more hours of pleasure. :D

Thanks!

and I found a secret key in the attic, where do I use it?

Secret door in pub

a button next to the bar

Re spoiler you need to add a close spoiler

Yeah I did, but it's not working for some reason

EDIT: Ok it worked with BB Code

Edited by Azaran

Loved this map!

Negatives: I played it on hard and to be honest I felt it was a bit easy, I thought the lighting left me never really feeling exposed, and I though

there were never enough guards, as I could crouch run at least half the time. Some (minor issues), Z fighting on the stairs to the tower, and panel textures

in the library weren't misaligned. A carpet in the north chamber was floating in the air.

Positives: I loved all the new textures and <models?>. So much so at times I just stopped to admire them and wished the V

banners didn't have the V cause they'd be great to use, but understood the need.

Jaw dropping design, just loved the street. I was sort of expecting a Bafford style from this thread and was hoping it wasn't

a reproction, but a rethinking. Was very glad to see that was so. So many things link back to T1 & 2. I loved all the little conversations,

especially between the noble and the captain of the guard. Was great that you provided a little window to sit and watch that. Also the

engineer in the bathhouse gave just the right clue when needed. Just loved it through and through. 9 out of 10 mostly for design and style.

Neon

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Wow. Just wow. What a great mission. Thanks so much for an awesome experience, kingsal :)

I played on Hard, and I felt there could have been more guards around. I didn't need more than three water arrows, and avoiding the guards wasn't too difficult. Nonetheless, this is a masterpiece. The place is huge, and exploring was fun and at times challenging. The map could have been a bit bigger. And I do mean the map of the three areas, obviously, as the mansion is perfectly large as it is. Took me well over four hours to complete the whole mission. All in all, I liked this one a lot!

Question:

I found a Hidden key but I have no idea where to use it. Also, there's this one locked room with bars I can't enter. It has a golden dagger, or something, behind it. I thought the Hidden key might be for it, but none of the keys I've picked up work, and neither do my lockpicks. Is there a hidden switch or a button I'm missing?

• Like 1

What an impressive debut !

The sense of mise-en-scene displayed in the mission is simply great. You managed to make a killer looking level out of relatively low poly assets, thanks to the brilliant use of lights. Gameplay is good, even surprising at times. The loading screen and briefing video are looking very professional. I feel like you're setting up new standards for the Dark Mod.

Oh yes, by the way that thief-y sound at the start of the mission, that's in the start of every single Thief mission. That should be a tradition! Love that it's here.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I had already future-proofed KoD when I released it by putting a bunch of ai_see 0 spawnargs on lights, meaning some areas are easier to stealth through, like the room with the safe for instance. Nothing too major though.

OT: I still need to finish this, argh!

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

• 2 months later...

When I saw what was at the top of the tower, I wondered whether I was in for something out of folklore.

I liked the suggestive use of the (pagan?) symbols; I think I even found one under a flowerpot or similar. A definite sense of lurking and intrusion all round...

• Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this mission, kingsal. I greatly enjoyed it.

This mission was a perfect re-introduction to Thief for me. I haven't played anything Thief in probably about a year, so I was worried I'd be terribly rusty. Thankfully I wasn't! I was able to successfully play Hard (chosen due to my expected rustiness) with no KOs (which says a lot, as I've always been a 'stack up the unconscious bodies then run around freely' type of player). I DID miss quite a bit of loot, though I was able to get well over the requirement.

I look forward to the continuation of the story. I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great mission. Visually interesting, guards not aggressive on the streets like someone else already said, good amount of secrets, secrets hidden well but not too difficult.

The most fun situation was when I was trying to steal the crown in the great hall. I was hiding behind the thing, trying to pick the small door, and had to keep popping up and down to pick the lock. Very tense, very interesting, very fun. Thanks.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Quick review:

Nice mission with cool aesthetic/visuals/colors. I liked being able to blow the horn, and hearing the horn back :) Cool ambient music. The load screens said to use "M" for map... but for me, 'm' is not assigned to map I think by default(?). Nice secrets and loved the beams to walk on above rooms. Felt the character's inner-voice audio was a little too harsh/crisp sounding on the "s" sounds. Overall an enjoyable mission, thank you!

Edited by Darkness_Falls
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous mission, especially the

greenhouse and bath areas were beautifully done. I actually felt almost disappointed that I couldn't relax in the pool in RL :)
The water level controls were really fun also, it would be great to see more environment changing effects like that in more missions.
There were some rooms that were so well rendered (e.g. cold storage room) that it seemed odd that there was nothing special to be found there (maybe I missed something :) edit: looks like I did :blink: )

In terms of gameplay, it was mostly good, but I felt towards the end that I had way too many different arrows left unused.

Of course the amount of equipment used in a mission shouldn't matter so much (and it was a fun and engaging mission), but perhaps some more opportunities to use more items could have made it even richer. The final part of the mission in the tower was cool (especially the paintings) but felt just a small bit of an anti-climax: it seemed like perhaps some sort of eldritch daemon was about to pay our hero a visitation but there was no such backlash.

Thanks for all the work you put in to this!

Edited by Peanut