The Dark Mod Forums

Builder Elite Guard Concept Acn1002

Springheel

Here is a coloured version of our elite builder guards. I've replaced the chain mail here too. I'm not happy with the hammer, but we'll work on the weapons later. This is actually based on a historical set of armour I found pictures of. Very cool.

concept%20builder2%20colour.jpg

I also like the hammer, but think it should have a larger head giving it the appearance of more mass and a more "dayammm, I would NOT want to be hit by that!" feeling.

Perhaps the elite guards would have that hammer type, whereas the standard hammerites would have the typical hammer we're accustomed to?

Maybe elite guards should be able to flip that hammer around at their discretion and attack our thief with the sharper side of the hammer to inflict greater damage? Say, one of every 5 hits would be with the pointier side? Having them occasionally turning their hammer around would also create a small pause in their swinging, allowing our thief to take a health potion, switch weapons, or have a better chance at getting away without being hit again.

Good work, especially if it's historical. At first, I thought it maybe looked a little too futuristic, but if it's legit then that's cool! Maybe its the coloring that makes it look futuristic. Is the coloring authentic, too?

looks great, but I don't like the stripes on the armor, too. IMO that's unrealistic - have you ever seen colored stripes on a metallic armor ? would it be cloth or painted onto the metal ?

well there is this,

http://www.gloryofdresden.com/modularbuild...ILDED-ARMOR.jpg

Also, i was wondering, are we going to employ the same thing with different guard body types as they did in T3, such as a skinny, a muscular, and a chubby guard?

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

well there is this,

http://www.gloryofdresden.com/modularbuild...ILDED-ARMOR.jpg

Also, i was wondering, are we going to employ the same thing with different guard body types as they did in T3, such as a skinny, a muscular, and a chubby guard?

Thanks god_is_my_goldfish,

That works for me. :) I'm not very well versed in armor.

Coloured armour was quite common. The reference pic was black and silver...I'll post it when I'm home from work.

I don't know, I like the stripes. They make him look a little more ceremonial, a little more polished, and a little more dangerous. Changing it to solid colours makes him look very similar to the normal guard version. It was the decorative nature of the stripes that attracted me to the armour in the first place. As I said elsewhere, painting armour was quite common, historically.

Here's the original picture I used as a reference.

armour.jpg

Edited by Springheel

Changing it to solid colours makes him look very similar to the normal guard version.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. With BT's recoloring it looks like both sets of guards use similar breastplates, but the elite guards have the extra set of equipment for their arms and legs due to their status. It's like they're an upgrade from the regular guards.

I don't think the stripes look bad at all, but I'm more for giving them a homegenous look so that you can classify them as being a part of the same faction.

Edited by Renzatic

I don't think the stripes look bad at all, but I'm more for giving them a homegenous look so that you can classify them as being a part of the same faction.

That's what the colour and symbol is for. :) Not to mention the hammer. I don't think anyone would fail to see the resemblance.

buildercomparison.jpg

(of course it would help if they both had the same symbol...still experimenting with that.)

My view of the elite guards is that they would be Builders who had been with the church for many, many years, doing great work and training hard. They are now second only to the high priests in their piety and power. Their armour serves both a practical AND ceremonial purpose. It should be more ornate than the regular temple guards.

Keep in mind that the colouring job is a little comic-bookish at the moment...they probably shouldn't be that bright.

Edited by Springheel

Try this..

Change the color of the breastplate so that it's solid grey-black like the regular guard, leave the skirt and the shoulderpads as is, and see how it looks. That's a fairly good compromise...and if it looks like crap we'll revert back to the way it was before.

Yeah, I really like that, too! It's a great compromise and like it better than the first one. It'll be cool to have the elite guard like this because you'll be able to distinguish them from the regular guards from a distance. The elite's will have the jagged thigh plates and the red stripe down the middle of their breast plate; the regular ones won't. We might strive for a distinguishing visual stripe or mark on the back plate also?