The Dark Mod Forums

Ambient Occlusion & Bounce Lighting

MirceaKitsune

Wow this eats alot of FPS and its not even that visible O.o The filter radius is way to big!

Not so big. You can then adjust intensity and blending ;)

This is only to test FPS tanking (a smash with 64 samples :D ) and fidelity (it's really really good for a SSAO implementation).

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

What I love about AO is that it really grounds objects and if you want to improve FPS's then just disable shadows on small non important objects and they will still look planted in the ground, instead of looking like they are floating. Frictional games used this to great effect on Amnesia and Soma.

Also imo this stuff should be implemented internally on the engine and not be applied has a post process, that way the effect could take better advantage of the scene info. Also what you guys think about large scale AO first used in Crysis?

SSAO is ugly, but it's an option that anybody can toggle so I have no problem with people who want or don't want it.

Still, what really bothers me is that SSAO is not a "cure all" for...Light where there shouldn't be, it's a very ugly and always badly calibrated/inaccurate method.

The best thing would be to just make everything have shadow-emitting lighting, a game called "Exanima" has this kind of function, no SSAO is present yet you don't see "overly lit areas".

I just hope that with SSAO implemented there can also be MXAO, HDAO and even HBAO.

The Marty McFly solution is *above* HBAO+ as quality yield.....no "fake" darkening auras around the objects at all, no grain noise patches and perfect temporal stability (no shimmering moving around).

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Stop speaking in these "ultraism" terms.

There are different types of AO. ScreenSpace AO is by design always the lacking one.

AO that uses geometry data without camera perspective is what we would need.
It would be accurate and would not follow a pattern.

Grain is a general issue of filtering, we have that because of Hardware limitations, not because of bad shadercode.
If you want no grain, just push the filter samples up and see your pc slowly dying.

A screenspace calculated AO will never ever reach the quality level which a scene based will have.
You can look this technique up in Battlefield 3, it costs alot but looks very good and for most: its not depth dependent.

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

Those screenshots are awesome! Thanks for testing it. Can you summarize your experiments with respect to performance impact?

SSAO is in the 2.08 roadmap, actually: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4972 I've no idea whether STiFU has started work on it, though.

Apparently not, and I don't think I am going to get around to it any time soon. Gonna unassign that task from me for now.

Lastest version of MXAO HQ (+Normal Smoothing), lastest version of ReShade from the master tree too :)

Saint Lucia!

AO:

The-Dark-Modx64-2019-05-01-17-27-49.jpg
Game (97 FPS):
The-Dark-Modx64-2019-05-01-17-28-46.jpg

Game+AO (60 FPS):

The-Dark-Modx64-2019-05-01-17-28-39.jpg

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

I preferred the previous comparison...in this one I agree I can't see much difference at all.

Amnesia and Soma are pretty dark games and imo SSAO is noticeable on them, plus even tho is still a heavy effect is not so heavy as we see here, perhaps the injection process takes a big toll on the frame?

Can you show one with AO on and shadows totally off? Just curious how it looks versus the performance.

Edited by HMart

Of course the injection takes away some frame time, and OpenGL is not the primary target of ReShade (count how much OpenGL games are released today).

• 2 weeks later...

@lowenz – did you use some special tricks to get correct AO in TDM? I've been using latest version of ReShade, and MXAO effect is totally inverted on my hardware :/

'cause reshade by default uses the inverted depth buffer :P

Simply set it to "0" in the preprocessor section.

Edited by lowenz

Yup, that worked, thanks :) With MXAO default quality settings, the fps drop was from 140 to 115 fps on my hardware. Biggest problem so far is the MXAO switching on and off, and TDMs alpha planes used instead of light bloom/postprocessing effects, as AO looks like thick black lines rendered behind it.