The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.0.5 pre-release testing

No particular optimisations from my side. Maybe your system decided to be extraordinarily motivated for Sunday mapping. Still, good to hear that DR appears to be running suitably fast.

:laugh:

As it happens I have been thinking about getting around to that update of Sotha's first map, (before someone says something, yes I know I have other mapping duties - but doing what I feel like doing once in a while staves off burnout)

There's a new pre-release build in the first thread (pre6). Selection Group behaviour should be a bit more predictable now when it comes to inverting stuff or selecting single elements through layers or dialogs. That, plus a few other bugs have been fixed (Particle Editor, Conversation Editor).

Sorry. I know, this scaling stuff is really important to you, but at the moment I'm not really motivated to dive into that topic. If you need to scale your entire map, then why not do it in GtkRadiant and then go back to DR?

Fair enough Greebo. I did do it that way. It seems to me, that it's just shifting it from an any key variable to a press enter one lol (thats the level of my programming knowledge haha).

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...

A new pre-release build (pre7) is available in the first post. Selection Group handling has been improved some more, grouping/ungrouping is undoable now and the invert selection problems should be gone. And some minor bugs as well.

I seem to recall having looked into this in the past. Right, here it is: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4323

It appears to be a Windows thing when hitting unmapped keys in a dialog. Not sure if there is any way to fix that from within the DR codebase.

Are you going to apply a fix at some point to when you put a texture on a brush surface, it often ends up on other brushes (portal or caulk only though)? Be great if that could

be fixed, I get it all the time. Ever since greebo gave me a variation of the mapdoom3.dll that would let me import an old quake 3 map, since then I've had this issue. Though I think the mapdoom3.dll was replaced in the last patch, but I still have the issue. So now I'm not sure if it's related to that or not.

Suggestion: Would be cool if you had a hot key in camera mode for fine control, for moving small amounts when working on fine detail. Hotkey say Mouse4+RMB would be good just to temp drop down camera movement to very fine movement.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Are you going to apply a fix at some point to when you put a texture on a brush surface, it often ends up on other brushes (portal or caulk only though)?

I didn't know about such an issue up to this point. If there are reproduction steps or a video of the issue available, that might help finding the cause.

Suggestion: Would be cool if you had a hot key in camera mode for fine control, for moving small amounts when working on fine detail. Hotkey say Mouse4+RMB would be good just to temp drop down camera movement to very fine movement.

There are commands available for that already, they're called CamIncreaseMoveSpeed and CamDecreaseMoveSpeed, mapped to numpad + and - by default.

• 2 weeks later...

Any new feedback on the pre8 build? Have there any people been using it in the meantime? I want to send out the release rather sooner than later, but if there hasn't been any testing, I will wait a couple more days.

I think you've fixed all the stuff I reported. At the moment I've only a couple of small annoyances:

• The sizes/positions of the embedded windows reset sometimes for no apparent reason. (This may have happened in pre-2.0.5 versions as well, but I've been noticing it quite a bit lately.)
  • The AAS viewer is good to have, but in multi-floor areas of complex maps it's hard to tell which AAS areas belong to which rooms, since the far-clip plane is far enough away for AAS on one or more floors below/above to be rendered.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

I think you've fixed all the stuff I reported. At the moment I've only a couple of small annoyances:

• The sizes/positions of the embedded windows reset sometimes for no apparent reason. (This may have happened in pre-2.0.5 versions as well, but I've been noticing it quite a bit lately.)
  • The AAS viewer is good to have, but in multi-floor areas of complex maps it's hard to tell which AAS areas belong to which rooms, since the far-clip plane is far enough away for AAS on one or more floors below/above to be rendered.

Yes, the AAS viewer is great for me, but at some point it'll need a distance clip applied, because in a large map it can virtually turn the camera view white. The in-game viewer clips using this:

if ( (areaCenter - playerOrigin).LengthFast() < 150 )

I've just switched to pre8 now, will try do a little mapping.

Apologies for bringing it up again, greebo, but I see that my GUI suggestion from http://forums.thedar...-and-questions/ hasn't made it in. I understand it may not be the easiest/quickest improvement to implement, but it would be great to see it scheduled for 2.06.

I have tried your earlier suggestion of opening multiple instances of DR to speed things up. While that process is quicker than closing the conversation editor in order to create a speaker, hunt down the right sound shader and then copy its name - the whole process it is still cumbersome and frustrating to use.

I will try chime in again with more feedback. :)