The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.0.5 pre-release testing

If I create a switch and target it to an object (i.e. a light), and my Default layer is hidden, the connecting line from the switch to the object isn't drawn.

If I then make the Default layer visible, the connecting line appears.

Make the Default layer hidden again, and the connecting line disappears.

I tried to repro the two test cases above (with the default layer hidden), and while I can see stuff that is currently selected staying visible even after hiding the layer (something that hasn't happened before, will fix that), I can't see the other effects (stuff not being moveable or lines not being drawn). I'm missing a step, do you have a testmap perhaps?

Some of the stuff mentioned there is hard, some is not (read: hard means several hours if not days of solid work, not hard means around one hour). Depends on my spare time and motivation, but I guess I can squeeze in some of the mentioned improvements.

- Feature #4380: Allow EntityInspector to select/copy/paste multiple spawnargs at once

How do we use this? The boxes appear to the left of each spawnarg, but clicking a box doesn't select it.

Edit:

I see that I can use the normal "select one item" or "CTRL-select several non-adjacent items" or "SHIFT-select several adjacent items" method to select spawnargs, then copy/paste the group elsewhere.

Given that, of what use are the little boxes?

The boxes to the left of spawnargs appear to be quick toggles for boolean ones, e.g. a one click change between "noshadows" "1" and "noshadows" "0".

Huh? If I select a boolean spawnarg, all I get is the spawnarg details in the detail window below, with an optional toggling selection box showing the current setting. If it's "1" the box has a checkmark in it. If it's "0" it's an empty box.

My question has to do with "if there's a box to the left of a spawnarg, doesn't it just BEG to be clicked on?"

But if I click on it, nothing happens.

Huh? If I select a boolean spawnarg, all I get is the spawnarg details in the detail window below, with an optional toggling selection box showing the current setting. If it's "1" the box has a checkmark in it. If it's "0" it's an empty box.

My question has to do with "if there's a box to the left of a spawnarg, doesn't it just BEG to be clicked on?"

But if I click on it, nothing happens.

If I click in the centre of the box itself, that checks or unchecks it and flips the spawnarg value between 0 and 1 (provided DR recognises it as a boolean spawnarg, otherwise the box is greyed out). I'm doing that with "noshadows" on a light entity right now. If you're seeing different behaviour then we'll just have to wait for greebo.

Edit: on inspection there's at least one bug/limitation: it seems not to work with the list of inherited spawnargs.

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Ah, I see that now. The left-side boxes only respond to a click on non-inherited spawnargs.

In that case, I'd suggest that the left-side boxes not appear on inherited spawnargs.

If someone intended that this functionality also work on inherited spawnargs, then that functionality is broken.

Ah, I see that now. The left-side boxes only respond to a click on non-inherited spawnargs.

In that case, I'd suggest that the left-side boxes not appear on inherited spawnargs.

If someone intended that this functionality also work on inherited spawnargs, then that functionality is broken.

The box being greyed out was sort of a workaround - since wxWidgets doesn't give me the ability to draw nothing, I had to resort to disable the checkbox for spawnargs it doesn't apply to.

I can make it active for inherited values, that shouldn't be a problem, I wasn't sure whether this was wanted or not.

If it's all too confusing for users, I can make it optional or remove it again. For the records, I was following the GUI suggestions in this thread here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18118-dark-radiant-gui-proposals-and-questions/

Also, I have further plans for the EntityInspector, specifically for editing spawnargs of multiple selected entities. It should show the spawnargs that are present on all selected entities, and display same or differing values accordingly. How about something like this?

I can make it active for inherited values, that shouldn't be a problem, I wasn't sure whether this was wanted or not.

It makes sense to me to be able to check inherited values. For example, what if I wanted to copy all the inherited values for a stim/response from one entity to another? If I can only check un-inherited values, then I have to first get those inherited values up into the un-inherited values section. Seems a bother.

Also, I have further plans for the EntityInspector, specifically for editing spawnargs of multiple selected entities. It should show the spawnargs that are present on all selected entities, and display same or differing values accordingly. How about something like this?

This sounds interesting and useful.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are able, can do a comparison of scaling in DR and GTK, as they are very different, and GTK works so much better, and requires only a small

change. Here's the download. Try it yourself. You can scale a prefab, or a whole map with this (brush/patches only. (I did today). http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/downloads.html#binaries

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

There's a new pre-release build in the first thread (pre6). Selection Group behaviour should be a bit more predictable now when it comes to inverting stuff or selecting single elements through layers or dialogs. That, plus a few other bugs have been fixed (Particle Editor, Conversation Editor).

If you are able, can do a comparison of scaling in DR and GTK, as they are very different, and GTK works so much better, and requires only a small

change. Here's the download. Try it yourself. You can scale a prefab, or a whole map with this (brush/patches only. (I did today). http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/downloads.html#binaries

Sorry. I know, this scaling stuff is really important to you, but at the moment I'm not really motivated to dive into that topic. If you need to scale your entire map, then why not do it in GtkRadiant and then go back to DR?

Is it me or is this latest version the quickest yet for loading itself and maps..?

No particular optimisations from my side. Maybe your system decided to be extraordinarily motivated for Sunday mapping.

Still, good to hear that DR appears to be running suitably fast.