The Dark Mod Forums

NeonsStyle [Work In Progress]

NeonsStyle

Hey,

I'm having issues with this sound effect, and trying to get it to work. It's a custom sound. In fms/fmsname/sound/ambience and in fms/fmsname/sound is sobbing.sndshd file which looks like this:

woman_sobbing
{
fmsname/ambience (don't want to give out the name of the mission yet)
looping
sound/ambience/woman_sobbing.ogg
}

First I used a trigger_once with dist_check_period 1 and random 3 spawnargs targeted

at the sound (target sobbing) (which I can open in DR). The speaker is setup is:

name sobbing

dist_check_period 0.33

s_volume 10

s_maxdistance 17

s_waitfortriggere 1

It won't work. So then I tried deleting the trigger, and using the door trigger_when_opened <speaker_name> (sobbing) but that doesn't work either. This is the setup

I use for every other speaker on the map and they all work. So now I think it has to be the file itself.

It is set to 44100Hz 32 bit rate. I checked it 3 times. So if someone could take a look at it and see if there's something wrong with the file?

I'm pretty sure it's all setup correctly. Here are both vers of the same file: If you think it's setup wrong could you take a look at the sound file? Feel free to use it's a free sound effect.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71512306/woman_sobbing.ogg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71512306/woman_sobbing.mp3

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I also have issues importing a custom sound, right now. Two things I noticed, regarding your sound file:

1. Accoridng to the wiki (http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Sound_File_Formats) the sound rate has to be 16 bit.

2. Be sure to set your sound quality to 96 kbps for mono and 160 kbps for stereo. If you use Audacity, this can be set when you save the ogg file with the "Quality" setting. Quality 2 equals 96 kb/s, Quality 5 equals 160 kbps.

I hope this helps in your case. I still have not been able to get my custom sound to work...

Edit: Also, Obsttorte suggested, to try using a speaker (I also used the "looping" spawnarg) to see, if the problem lies with your sound file or rather your setup. A speaker will continuously play the sound, so this can rule out the setup being at fault.

Edited by Destined

Just to check these issues too.

Do you guy's have all folders with "read only" access turned off. You right click on the root folder and look

under folder properties to see iirc.

@Neon, keep volume around 0, which is native volume. It's logrithmic (decibles) so 10 actually squares the native volume, which is super loud!

I had an issue with a custom texture not getting recognized unless it was in the right subfolder, which may not be relevant but just mentioning it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I am pretty sure that my folder is not read-only. I can check again, but I have just recently moved the sound shader and ogg files into a folder with the same name as the mission (as you suggested in the Newby Questions thread). I want to check again, if the sound shader file is set up correctly by trying a different ogg file in it, but Unfortunately, I will most likely not get to it until Sunday. If the sound shader works, I am 100% sure that it is the off file, that cannot be played (for whatever reason).

Thanks Destined, it was 32bit so changed it to 16 but can't see how to change the bitrate in Audacity.

Demagogue, mine was read only I saw but it didn't seem to have an effect cause the changes I made to the .sndshd file were saved, even

though that folder was set to read only (stupid windows).

[edit]Ok I got it set to to 16 bit, 128kbs 44100 hz and setup as before and it still doesn't work. Am I missing something?

I put the speaker into the game at spawn n it should've played but didn't, so there's something wrong with the file. It plays fine

in Audacity or windows media player.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Got home early and time to test. Apparently, the fault lies in the sound shader file. When I change the sound file to a different ogg file, it still does not work. Other soundshaders work (I usually use "thunder" as a test, as it is loud and long enough).

Edit: I have copied the content of the "thunder" soundshader file into my own file and it does not work anymore. Seems as if TDM does not find my soundshader file, even though DR does...

I have to leave now. I will continue on Sunday.

Edited by Destined

Ok if other soundshaders work but not yours, it reminds me even more of my texture/material shader not getting found by the game but it found others. Try putting the sound & soundshader alongside game sounds & soundshaders, in the very same folders. That's how I fixed my issue. I think it's a bug that's crept in since 2.0 that searches for assets only in certain places, and won't find ones not in those places.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I took one of the sound files (mansion_tense02.ogg) and added it to the shader and into the same folder as my custom sounds, and it would not play either, even though I use that sound elsewhere in the map and it does play.

Where are the game shaders kept? I've been looking for them and there aren't any in any of the tdm_sound##.pk4 files. Is that what you mean? Add it to one of those? This is the first time I've messed with shaders in this game. I did try another custom sound, but that also would not play.

This is the shader using both custom sound files and a stock one I renamed to mansion (mansion_tense02.ogg)

mansion

{
briarwood_manor/ambience
looping
sound/ambience/mansion
}
woman_sobbing
{
briarwood_manor/ambience
looping
}

Edited by NeonsStyle

Like with your FM's pk4, the folders in the tdm_xx.pk4s (including tdm_soundxx.pk4) when you run the game unpack into (and so are equivalent to) the same folders in the root folder. (Just think of all pk4s as simply unpacking their guts into the root folder. So they don't really exist, only the folders after unpacking exist.)

So if you just poke around the sound pk4s, a number of them have .sndshd files, the shaders, just dropped right into the "sound" folder, not even a subfolder. So if you create a new folder <root>/sound (for me that's darkmod/sound), and put your shader in that sound folder, the game should find all the entries in it. (Same when you put it in the sound folder inside your FM's pk4 running it FM style.)

Looking back, I think this is your issue since you put your shader and sounds in a <root>/fms/.. folder. Put it in <root>/sound, with the shader directly in sound and sound files in a subfolder if you want, <root>/sound/<fmname>, where the game can find them. (By <root> I mean the top game folder, "darkmod" for me, but some people name it differently.) When you package your fm, you'll put them in a sound folder in your game's pk4, so that's how it gets to other people.

This doesn't really make sense, since when published, my .pk4 will be in root/fms/fmsname and the sound will be in there also. If I add root/sound and add my shaders and sound file to it, it might work for me, but won't work for anyone else (since they don't have a root/sound with my shaders and sound file, they will only have root/sound with tdm sounds & shaders. Yes?

I did try it. I unpacked tdm sound shaders into sound, added my shader to it, backed up the original tdm_sound_decl01.pk4 and made a new one with all the tdm shaders + mine, then I did th same with tdm_sound_ambient02 and added my custom sound. So now my shader and my sound file are in the correct tdm .pk4 files. Didn't work.

Puzzling, cause I can add the sound to the map, so doesn't that say the shader is working for DR? If the way fm's are done is they have fms/root/sound and have any shaders and sounds in ambience so since this is how it's done, it should work. I'm assuming the sound file is good, it's 44100hz @ 128kbs so that's good. Makes no sense that it won't work.

<Confused>

Neon

Edited by NeonsStyle

This doesn't really make sense, since when published, my .pk4 will be in root/fms/fmsname and the sound will be in there also. If I add root/sound and add my shaders and sound file to it, it might work for me, but won't work for anyone else (since they don't have a root/sound with my shaders and sound file, they will only have root/sound with tdm sounds & shaders. Yes?

There might be other problems with your soundshader, but just to cover this issue: No. When you put a pk4 in fms, your sound will not be found in root/fms/fmsname/fmsname.pk4/sound, from the game's perspective anyway. (It will be there too, of course, but it will be moved and not found there come game-time.) And it won't be found in root/fms/fmsname/sound at all (I don't think) because the fms/.. folder isn't an asset folder. (I need to confirm that though.) This is really important to understanding what a pk4 & FM is.

Like I was trying to say in previous posts, when you run the game, the first thing the game does is unpack all pk4s (including the game pk4s and your fm's pk4) and it puts their guts equally into root/.. folders.

So a sound inside root/fms/fmname/fmname.pk4/sound will be unpacked by the game and dropped into root/sound right from the start. So this is why, when building your FM, putting your sounds into root/sound and running by dmap/map is the *same thing* as having sounds in root/fms/fmname/fmname.pk4/sound and running it as an FM.

This is why in an above post I said Track1 building (dmapping with assets in root/sound) and Track2 building (running ../fms/fmname/fmname.pk4 like an FM, with assets in ../fms/fmname/fmname.pk4/sound) is the same thing from the game's perspective. The assets will always be found in root/sound when the engine is actually running (since the unpacking happens right at the start before the engine is even up and running); and the game has no reason to look in root/fms/fmname/sound since that's not an asset folder. So you can trust, having your sound into root/sound for your own testing isn't just for you; it will be for other people too in the end because your FM's pk4 will drop your sound there for them too.

Just to be extra clear, I'm talking about running an FM by the dmap/map method, where it finds its assets. You need to have them in root/sound and you can't have them in root/fms/fmname/sound. (That's what I thought might be your issue, so I'm clarifying that; although I might have misinterpreted your thinking completely.) If you're running a FM pk4 from the in-game menu as a normal FM, the assets are always in the appropriate pk4 folder (root/fms/fmsname/fmsname.pk4/sound), which as I just said get unpacked into root/sound, so you don't need to have the sound file in root/sound beforehand because it'll get unpacked there by the game. It's only when you're running by the dmap/map way you need it in root/sound or a subfolder of that beforehand, because that's the only way the game will find it.

If there's two files with the same name, the one unpacked later in time takes priority (you can imagine it like later unpacked files overwriting the previous ones, although nothing is actually overwritten or deleted; it's just the file the game picks to use). So files in your FM's pk4 folders always take priority. Or more broadly, priority goes from least to most like: root folder > game pk4 folders alphabetically > FM pk4 folders alphabetically.

Regarding what Spooks said before, his trick lets the game recognize there is a map file inside root/fms/fmname, but when you run the game, assets will still be dropped from there into the root/.. asset folders. If you want all your assets conveniently packaged together, my advice is to create a root/fmname_assets.pk4 just like the game pk4's and package all your assets in that, in the right folders, root/fmname_assets.pk4/sound, root/fmname_assets.pk4/texture, etc, which again will still get unpacked into root/sound, root/texture, etc, when the game runs, but at least now you've got them all conveniently packaged together.

Edit: Sorry, Spooks also mentioned the trick about resetting the mod fs_game to ../fms/fmname so that the assets inside ../fms/fmname/sound show up in DR. So you can do that. I don't know if that also means when you dmap/map that the game can find the ../fms/fmname/sound assets, since DR and darkmod.exe are still separate programs, but maybe it does? I just know the normal way dmap/mapping, you'd need to put the assets in root/sound or a subfolder of it, or running as an FM, in a pk4 like root/fmname_assets.pk4/sound or root/fmname_assets.pk4/sound/subfolder.

Edit2: Sorry if I'm sounding pedantic by the way. I'm trying extra hard to be very literal about each little thing, and it sounds really funny to read back over, but it's so easy to get confused about what one is referring to, and I wasn't even sure what you got, what you didn't, and what's just quirks in wording that I misunderstood. So that's why I wrote it all out this way.

I don't know if that also means when you dmap/map that the game can find the ../fms/fmname/sound assets, since DR and darkmod.exe are still separate programs, but maybe it does?

Pretty sure it does. The way I've experienced it work, TDM first looks at all your FM folders, so for example, if you have a texture in root/fms/myfm/dds/textures/darkmod/my_texture_bin/gravel01.dds (and a material file to define it in the root/fms/myfm/materials folder too) it's going to show in-game and in DR just fine with my setup. Then, if you want to, you could put the same texture/material files but in the root of the game (straight into root/materials etc.), but say invert the texture's colors, and those files will overwrite the ones in your FM folders and show when you run your mission. I feel it's a nice 2 layer system where you can keep some common stuff in your root and then copy/move it over to the FM folders if you need. The common "root" assets will show up in every FM you play/work on, but the ones in the FM folder are just for that particular FM. Think of it as global scope vs. local scope in scripting.

Here's how I have my workflow set up:

post-37271-0-05332800-1468149196_thumb.jpg

post-37271-0-96385600-1468149201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spooks
  • Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Ok, that's conventient. But just to confirm, that's after you drop 2 textfiles in and change DR's mod to the fms/fmname folder? If you didn't do that, the game doesn't find assets in fms? (And what about the maps folder?) I feel like it's probably in the wiki somewhere exactly where and how you can put assets in which folders and how they take priority. A nice visual map of that would be good too.

All I know is I had a texture and materialshader in root/textures/dema that wasn't found, at least the render was borked. Then I moved it to root/textures/darkmod/dema and it was fine (if I understood what happened properly). So that's what made me paranoid about this from the start that the game doesn't let you drop assets just anywhere.

Hmmm. I read all of that, and I think I understand it pretty clearly and tried both ways Here's what I did.

Going back to Track 1 and Track 2. I did both. First made sure the map was a different name in both the root/fms/fmsname/map folders as it is in root/maps folders. Then I dmap'd the one in root/fms/fmsname/map. After that I put everything in the root/fms/fmsname as a pk4 (zipped, renamed to pk4), including folders map, xdata, sound and startmap.txt file including the contents of the compiled maps folder. Then I ran TDM, ran it as a FM reinstalled the FM and started a new mission as you normally do for FM's. No briefing, no objectives yet.

I have two copies of this sound on the map. One where I want it, and one to test by spawn. One is used by a trigger_once, the other isn't. Doesn't matter, cause they won't play either way.

Then I copied the contents of root/fms/fmsname/sound including the sound shader, and sounds/ambience/custom sound I'm using.Dmapped it again (again it used the map in fms/fmsname/maps rather than tdm/maps. Then I used map mapname and again it didn't play the sound.

I tried both ways to do it. I even tried empting tdm_sound_ambient_decl01.pk4 and tdm_sound_ambient02.pk4 then adding the custom shader and sound to those, but still it wouldn't play. This leaves me with there must be something wrong with the sound file that tdm won't play it. Or there's something up with the shader (as stated above).

It just won't play. It's a bugger cause this sound adds emotion to the climax of the story, and it's important. It was the best sound of it's type I could find and I'd hate to not use it.

Neon

Well doing it the pk4 way should have done it. Just to be clear, you had both the sound and the shader in root/sound/ambience/custom the map/dmap way (or substituting root with the FM's pk4 that way), with the shader using sound/ambience/custom/soundname.xxx address? If so then that's all I was saying to try.

It could well be the sound encoding, 16bit whatever hz it wants. Unless you have a very well hidden typo somewhere. Are you running it by triggering a speaker with the speaker declaring the sound name (I forget the spawnarg now, it's in the speaker wiki)? I recall something about the game liking sounds to be pre-cached, and that's what that spawnarg does.

Since the custom sound in my FM worked, I never really explored possible problems, so I don't want to put you on any goose chases since I'm not really an expert.

I also did some more testing and finally found out my problem: I had a hyphen "-" in the file names. Apparently, the game does not recognise the files then. DR does not seem to have this problem. When I exchanged all hyphens with underscores "_" all worked fine. I will check now, if my original setup worked and this was the only problem.

Edit: Thanks, demagogue, for the detailed explanation. I find it highly interesting to know how TDM works. Your explanations also explains, why TDM has to be restarted every time the FM is changed and I have wondered for a long time why this is (and never bothered to asked...)

Edit2: Yep, my original setup worked, the only problem were the hyphens in the file name.

Edited by Destined
  • Like 1

Ok, that's conventient. But just to confirm, that's after you drop 2 textfiles in and change DR's mod to the fms/fmname folder? If you didn't do that, the game doesn't find assets in fms? (And what about the maps folder?) I feel like it's probably in the wiki somewhere exactly where and how you can put assets in which folders and how they take priority. A nice visual map of that would be good too.

All I know is I had a texture and materialshader in root/textures/dema that wasn't found, at least the render was borked. Then I moved it to root/textures/darkmod/dema and it was fine (if I understood what happened properly). So that's what made me paranoid about this from the start that the game doesn't let you drop assets just anywhere.

After you drop the text files and "Install" your custom FM in TDM, yeah. There was, actually, a good explanation of this by Fidcal on the wiki and I did search for it in order to link it here previously, but I couldn't find it. Thinking of it now, it might be on his starterpack.pk4 wiki page.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

First method:

Ok this is the setup. First using dmap/map (from map in The Dark Mod/maps/manor64 then using a .pk4 setup.

dmap/map method.

Add folder: The Dark Mod/sound and added this sound shader there:

woman_sobbing

{
/ambience
looping
}

The sound file is put in The Dark Mod/sound/ambience/woman_sobbing.ogg
Then it was dmap/map'd using tdm/maps/manor64 and no sound played. It didn't work.
Second method
the map is in root/fms/fmsname/maps and compiled there using dmap for the map in that folder.
Then the files created in dmap along with the folders root/fmsname/sound, root/fmsname/xdata, root/fmsname/savegames and the startmap.txt file
are all compiled into fmsname.zip and renamed to fmsname.pk4
Then I run tdm, and hit New, select fmsname from the list, install it, then hit new and start map as usual. The map loads.
First the test sound at spawn does not play (using trigger_once as setup below). So I go to where it's supposed to be, and again it does not play. (Same setup)
I thought I found the fix when I found a space in the sound/ambience/woman_sobbing.ogg line at the start, but it didn't help.
Triggering:
I tried triggering the sound a few ways. First I used trigger_on_open, trigger_when_opened for a door (that works for a tdm sound, but not for this custom sound). Then I decided it would be better with a trigger_once
This is the trigger_once setup
classname trigger_once
name trigger_once_1
dist_check_period 1
model trigger_once_1
origin doesn't matter
random 3
target sobbing
Speaker setup
classname speaker
name sobbing
dist_check_period 0.33 (what does this do?)
origin doesn't matter
s_maxdistance 17
s_shader woman_sobbing
s_volume 7 ( for testing, will be zero)
s_waitfortrigger 1
Stupid question, but trigger can be any size. It was that way in Quake 3 days, and I assume it's the same right?
The sound file is 16 bit 44100 hz and plays beautifully in audacity (as an .ogg) or media player (as an mp3).
It should work, I can't see any reason it doesn't work. The shader is a direct ''copy" from the shader file. This is how it's supposed to be setup correct???
Thanks for your help.
Neon
Edited by NeonsStyle

woman_sobbing

{

/ambience
looping
}
What does the "/ambiece" do? Are you sure, there should be a slash at the beginning?
What I did to find my mistake:
1. I created a map (root/maps/s/s2) with one room, one light and one entity (some random model). I gave the entity "frobable 1" and a stim/response couple "Stim: Frob", "Response(Frob): Play soundhader (Shadername, Channel: empty). In order to avoid spelling errors, I always copy/pasted all names I used. For testing I did not load any map in TDM. Just opened the console and "dmap s/s2" and "map s/s2". The advantage of this setup is, that dmapping/mapping only takes a couple of seconds, while it is much longer in a complete map.
2. I created my own soundshader file (saved in root/sounds where all other soundshader files are). I kept it as simple as possible:
Shadername
{
[path of an existing sound file] (I used the mine explosion sound, as it is loud and thus, easy to hear)
}
That way I could avoid mistakes in other spawnargs and could see if the soundshader file is working and can be read by TDM.
3. I opened an existing soundshader file and copy/pasted an existing soundshader. Then I just put a "2" at the end (in my case "tdm_flashbomb" copy/pasted and renamed to "tdm_flashbomb2"). Then I replaced the sound file in there with my own. With this setup you can test, if your sound is working, as the existing soundshader should work.
This way you can rule out one mistake at a time and can see if the mistake is somewhere in the soundshader file or the sound file. By the way: The sound always played in DR in my case, but did not work in TDM, so the sound playing in DR is no indication for a working setup.
Edit: Regarding your sound file: Are you sure the quality is correct? 96 kbps for a mono-track (Quality 2 in Audacity) or 160 kbps for a stereo-track (Quality 5 in Audacity).
Edited by Destined

For the "/ambience", use either

description "ambience"

or

//ambience

, with two slashes, either of which turns it into a comment of some type.

Or just delete it altogether.

It's only a comment to describe the type of sound to people investigating. It doesn't do any actual work, and with your typo, you may have broken it. After everything, it may just be that that's a simple typo that broke the shader.

For the "/ambience", use either

description "ambience"

or

//ambience

, with two slashes, either of which turns it into a comment of some type.

Or just delete it altogether.

It's only a comment to describe the type of sound to people investigating. It doesn't do any actual work, and with your typo, you may have broken it. After everything, it may just be that that's a simple typo that broke the shader.

That did it. I didn't know that was supposed to be a comment, I just copied the format given by Dragofer in Outdoor/Forest modules discussion. My misinterpretation of that

line I think. However now it is fixed and it sounds wicked in it's right environment. :D

Thank you so much demagogue, you put a lot of effort in trying to resolve this and I really do apprecite it. It's people like you that make

learning this much easier, and makes it much more likely that a map ends up published rather than unfinished. :D So thanks mate.

Neon

What I did to find my mistake:
1. I created a map (root/maps/s/s2) with one room, one light and one entity (some random model). I gave the entity "frobable 1" and a stim/response couple "Stim: Frob", "Response(Frob): Play soundhader (Shadername, Channel: empty). In order to avoid spelling errors, I always copy/pasted all names I used. For testing I did not load any map in TDM. Just opened the console and "dmap s/s2" and "map s/s2". The advantage of this setup is, that dmapping/mapping only takes a couple of seconds, while it is much longer in a complete map.

What is Stim/Response in terms of TDM and why and how is it used? I've not seen this before.

Neon

You're welcome.

Re the stim/response system, or S/R, I could explain, but I think it's good if you get in the habit of checking the Darkmod wiki when you see something you don't know. It goes into way more detail than one could fit into a post anyway. Here's the Stim/Response wiki page. Always check the wiki & then a forum search for any kind of question you might have before anything.

To be really brief though, stims and responses are properties you put on entities through the S/R editor in DR. Entities with stims churn out a kind of stim every .2 seconds or so (I'm water, I'm fire, I'm sharp) and other entities with responses set to those stims react if they're inside the boundaries of that stim (I get doused by the water, I catch on fire, I take damage and yell out "ouch"). That's the gist.

You're welcome.

Re the stim/response system, or S/R, I could explain, but I think it's good if you get in the habit of checking the Darkmod wiki when you see something you don't know. It goes into way more detail than one could fit into a post anyway. Here's the Stim/Response wiki page. Always check the wiki & then a forum search for any kind of question you might have before anything.

To be really brief though, stims and responses are properties you put on entities through the S/R editor in DR. Entities with stims churn out a kind of stim every .2 seconds or so (I'm water, I'm fire, I'm sharp) and other entities with responses set to those stims react if they're inside the boundaries of that stim (I get doused by the water, I catch on fire, I take damage and yell out "ouch"). That's the gist.

Ah hah.. That explains it. I check the wiki all the time, it's always my first port of call. Just now I was looking up what calendar system is used in the universe. Couldn't find it. I'll check that wiki to see how I can use it.

[EDIT] Ok, so looked over the wiki for Stims. Can I change the visual area an AI can detect? ie the area around it's head that it can see? I have an issue with an AI that seems to have eyes in the back of it's head lol. It's the one AI that could prevent someone ghosting. I want to reduce it by about 3%. Is that possible using the Stim/Response editor?

Edited by NeonsStyle

If you want to change AI properties, you best change their spawnargs in the Entity window in DR. Just select "Show inherited properties". The field of vision is covered with the "fov" spawnargs: The number behind "fov" is the degrees that are covered. E.g. fov 180 would cover the whole front to both sides, 360 would cover all sides of the AI. "fov_vert" gives you the field of vision along the z-axis. Regarding the fov_rotation I am not really sure, what it does... Another spwanarg, that affects sight is "acuity_vis". This one determines how well the AI can see. The value is given in percent, so if you lower this value the chance of the AI to spot the player is reduced. The changes made this way only apply to the AI you selected in DR. If you want to change properties of an AI in general, you need to change the def files (the spawnargs you see in DR are simply read out of the def files).