The Dark Mod Forums

OMFG System Shock "remake"?!?

teh_saccade

starfield has been on the way for a loooong time indeed :) i just hope all these development pauses translate into something stunning (looking forward to try it).

Newer got to play the original first system shock back in the days so i look forward to experiencing how it all started with shodan. I played the second system shock though not untill recently have i made it all the way through it 🤣 mainly because of some stupendously op monsters early on and lack of insight into what skills you should invest in later (hint the weapons with the biggest bang are useless, you need to use the grey cells considerably instead) well except for one of the weapons which incidently is more aking to a sword (annelid crystal) but you can practically oneshot even a rumbler with this one if the rumbler does not tear you apart before you can smash it, luckily  they are not the fastest openents out there.

the viral prolifiter can also be nice against certain enemies but ammo is so scarce it is practically non existant so stick with the sword thingy as it is indestructible and packs a wallop.

2 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

It's certainly going to have that Bethesda jank though. Anyone thinking it's going to be flawless need to adjust their expectations.

Did you play the beta?

The demo seemed pretty flawless to me.

Oh, wait, you're talking about Starfield or System Shock?

Edited by chakkman

13 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

It's certainly going to have that Bethesda jank though. Anyone thinking it's going to be flawless need to adjust their expectations.

They may add as much bugs and jank as they want - if they also add the Bethesda-typical modability!

System Shock as a series was basically the Science-Fiction sister-series to Thief's Fantasy. Both were the flagship products of the Darkradiant engine, and I'm hoping the success of the System Shock remake has the creators try to get permission to remake Thief 1 through 3.

I'd rather have System Shock 3, to be honest. Thief 1-3 didn't really age badly in terms of gameplay. And, Thief 3 still looks decent these days as well. At least I don't have any issues playing those through these days. Graphics are overrated anyway. ;)

If anything, the graphics of Thief 1 and 2 have a certain charme, which probably wouldn't be there anymore if they remade them.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Kurshok said:

System Shock as a series was basically the Science-Fiction sister-series to Thief's Fantasy. Both were the flagship products of the Darkradiant engine, and I'm hoping the success of the System Shock remake has the creators try to get permission to remake Thief 1 through 3.

DarkRadiant has nothing to do with the Thief/System shock series, it's our fork of GTKRadiant.

The original Thief/system shock 2 engines were the "Dark" engine.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

heh i was thinking the same though it might just have been a glitch when writing ;) the names are pretty similar.

But for correctness it is called the dark engine and the newer version that allows us to run these beauties on win10/11 is called newdark. newdark is kinda interresting as it just suddenly popped up on a french forum some time ago by an anonymous developer with the alias le corbeau who allegedly got his hands on the original source code and started updating it for modern OS.

this was the original thread i believe -> https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

bikerdude was on that forum to when the patch hit i noticed hehe.

Yes, that's why I wrote "original engine".

And clearly le corbeau is a developer, probably worked for or at Eidos Montreal and got their hands on the source code.
Wish they would release it though the community already got their hands on it years ago, but decided to send it to Eidos instead.

4 hours ago, chakkman said:

Did they do something with it?

Nope. They decided to extend an olive branch to Eidos, hoping that they would reward the community and do something with it. But they didn't. As far as I know, the person who had the source didn't make a copy.

• Thanks 1

well i do have a copy of the thief 1 darkengine source code (the dos version), sadly it is not buildable unless you have a very very old msvc compiler (msvc 4.0) or proficient with porting it to a newer version which i am not since the compiler needs support for dos and i think the last one that had some support was .NET 2003 but you need to hop through a few loops to get it working on win10 64 because of permission problems etc.

darkengine 2 source was quite different and a bit of a mess to handle i seem to remember. still trying to get hold of a copy of it but im not hopefull.

• 3 weeks later...

thief_2_service_release.7z

EDIT: well ill be damned i actually found it... though it is the original thief2 source code 😮 rather big and uses some dos tools for some of the build process (contains all the maps) from what i can see and a very old perl. Seems to be buildable with msvc 6.0.

not sure how legal it would be to share it, i guess the only reason it was not taken down is that the site i got it from was rather obscure to find.