The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful 3 by Melan and Bikerdude (2016/07/10)

Melan

It does not.

You have to go around back and open the window to his room by going through the other room, which you can get to by going through the room you can get into by pickpocketing a key off of the patrolling guard. It's the only window in the mission that ISN'T opened already, I think. It also doesn't really stand out compared to other windows so it''s easy to miss this one.

Wow, that was a hard one. :-) thanks a lot

Correct.

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

But as for the door where you use it,

it's just a normal door on the street close-ish to the start, before you reach Grunt's. I recall it's around whatever place had the sign with a guy's big head on it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Wow I am curious to play this asap! :) I especially liked the HD map showing the huge content of gameplay you created! It makes me really want to explore the map you created, nice! One thing that I did not like that much was the scroll at the beginning of your post. If you need something like that, feel free to ask me for help via PM as I am passionate doing things like that in Photoshop, but that's just an offer from my side. If you're happy with the result it is totally fine of course - I'm just glad to help wherever I can with my few skills :)

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Thank you for the mission. The sheer amount of stuff to do and explore is amazing, I've spent about five hours playing it and I'm still finding hidden secrets. I love the readables too, they are very well-written and really add a lot of believability to the setting.

I have solved two of the Enigmas but I can't figure out the last one.

I have found the lion head above the entrance to the tenements near the Stone Head tavern but I'm not sure what to do next. I've noticed a plate with a dead rat in an alcove near Canon Street. Am I supposed to make some sort of offering?

Ooops... forgot to check the thread for a while.

The enigma of the Lion's Head should be read quite literally - you have to get behind the relief.

Outright spoiler:

...by checking the floorboards in the tenement room where you found The Book of Enigmas.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Hate to say this but... PD3 isn't even half as good as PD2 which I enjoyed. In PD3 you can't get in anywhere 'cause all the doors are locked, and the town is really confusing to navigate. I haven't found much loot at all, and my frustration has kept building steadily. I don't like when even basic tools of thieving aren't provided. I haven't completed a single objective, and I think I'm done. Yeah, I'm done. Sorry, Melan. I've loved your missions before but this... just not for me. Sorry.

PD2 and PD3 definitely appeal to different playstyles. The tangled layout and flow of PD3 appeals to an exploring, likes-being-a-little-lost type over a likes-making-steady-progress type. I think the objective way to put it is it's understandable that the latter type isn't going to be able to get into this, but the former type still does.

Edit. I'm very self conscious of this right now since my WIP is a tangled forest that's pretty much for types that like being a little lost & exploring. I recognize it polarizes people, but it's just that people like different things. So we do our best.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Summer, I am sorry to hear that, but thanks for posting your honest opinion. I hope PD4, which will be in a different style (again) will be more to your liking.

Summer, I am sorry to hear that, but thanks for posting your honest opinion. I hope PD4, which will be in a different style (again) will be more to your liking.

You make awesome missions, Melan. I've played Disorientation, for example, plenty of times. I think this was just me not being in the right mindset to explore patiently. Plus, I really want two things in any mission: Blackjack and lockpicks. Without them I don't feel like a thief but stuck in a survival story, and that isn't my thing.

Nonetheless, I'll probably try PD3 again at some point (if I know where to find some keys; loot I can find on my own), and I still look forward to PD4 and whatever else you come up with <3

There is a blackjack, though.

Have to admit finding PD3 very frustrating ... but am sure I will come back to it for another try. I completely gave up on trying to ghost as a first run, and decided to clear the ground by klonking *everyone*, so at least I can now hunt for stuff without distractions. Have to agree, the key hunt gets very frustrating, this map definitely forces a *lot* of backtracking! Still, it's a very high quality mission.

Is there any way to avoid the apparently(?) forced killing?

Can see ghosting that one being a bit of a challenge...

I haven't completed the mission yet, but it's already my favourite part of Penny Dreadful series.

I cannot however complete the second objective. upd: SOLVED.

I've placed the Almsmaster's body in the box, but nothing happens.

pYamEcqN_dc.jpg

Ha-ha-ha, turns out, he wasn't dead enough! I blackjacked him, then poked him with the sword a couple of times and placed the body in the box. Then had him poked more and it worked!

Other questions:

Is there a way to dispose of the Grunt without killing him? Does it involve a small useable tobacco pile in the tobacco store I found?

And is there another way to deal with the Almsmaster as well? Other than killing him and dragging his body through the whole town?

Thank you.

Edited by Lex

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

Lex: Thanks! Both of the main objectives can be completed without killing your targets (directly or indirectly), or indeed, even setting foot inside their respective residences.

In Grunt's case, you are on one of the right tracks to complete the objective, but that's not one of the non-lethal solutions.

In the Almsmaster's case, doing it non-lethally requires some lateral thinking and a bit of careful cross-examination of what you have at your disposal. As far as I know, it hasn't been done yet, and I'd rather let someone from the community discover it on their own before spoiling it.

to Melan and Bikerdude

I've completed the mission, using brute methods, but! I really enjoyed it, it's one of the best missions I've played so far.

I saw some people here saying that the previous one was more enjoyable for them, but, to be honest, I didn't really liked the first two parts for various reasons and, I guess, it's the matter of tastes. (I've played all three in a row this week). City missions with vertical use are my favourite type. But the PD2 was confusing for me because of the arctitecture, maybe it was intended so, but I felt like a lilliputian there.

This mission seemed more various (you got small shops, hovels, manors, some cryptic\mystic stuff, waterpools, roofs). Yet at the same time all of the mentioned things are inscribed in the whole setting of a crammed but still a large part of the City.

Also I like the hero, our main protagonist - that he is not a professional, doesn't use picklocks and stuff... Had to do a lot of breaking-in. Yeah, it's kinda cool, though, again, I noticed that some people here didn't like it, but it stimulates the player for searching additional routes to your goal. In this regard the conditions are pushing you towards a certaing gameplay style and the map itself is satisfying with all these non-linear ways, mantling and stuff.

So, the background, the plot on one side and the map design on the other side are very well fitting each other in this case giving birth to a fantastic flow of gameplay. Thats a resume.

P.S. It would be awesome if you add the note to the description on the missions' loading page that you have here, in this topic, a high-resolution player map which you recommend printing. I didn't experience any trouble with it being small, but it's kinda a nice concept to immerse a player even more in your mission with such a gesture (if a player has the possibility to print it, of course). And the idea of printing a map didn't come by itself to my mind before I read it in the first post here, but unfortunately by that time I had nearly completed the mission.

Edited by Lex
  • Like 1

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.