The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod 2.04 is Here

Mr. Tibbs

Better looking Glass

nbohr, tell me this is a cunning joke of your brilliant mind :D

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 3

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

nbohr, tell me this is a cunning joke of your brilliant mind :D

Broken Glass Studios fixes Broken Glass to ensure that it is Broken as expected...

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I hope this isn't going a bit off-topic. But can we expect more work on new features and modernization for 2.05, now that the most crucial bugs were fixed? I'm especially hoping that further visual improvements could be considered... such as a simple shader for SSAO (screen space ambient occlusion), and why not Depth of Field and Motion Blur for those of us who want ultra modern visuals? Soft shadows (ideally distance based) are also a popular request which I'm totally backing! I'm also eager for the 64bit engine, which is probably the most important modernization still pending. Not trying to beg for features... just wanted to bring up those aspects with this occasion, since I humbly believe they should be future targets.

Huh, tis not working for me. I think I'm having a similar issue to a user above me. I try to install, and it keeps looping. A message pops up, but goes away before I can get a good look at it.

The problem was solved for me when I found another update-file. Check (in the same directory as tdm_update.exe) for a file named

_tdm_update.exe

Fieldmedic, on 14 Jul 2016 - 07:18 AM, said:

The problem was solved for me when I found another update-file. Check (in the same directory as tdm_update.exe) for a file named

_tdm_update.exe

Sadly, I'm not seeing it, though I'm probably not looking in the right place. :/

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

Sadly, I'm not seeing it, though I'm probably not looking in the right place. :/

Make sure that your darkmod directory is not set to Read Only and that your user is allow to write there.

Perhaps try white-listing the folder in your Security Software.

Finally, try Freyk's "installer beta":

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18207-beta-test-tdm-installer-windows

nbohr1more, on 14 Jul 2016 - 2:27 PM, said:

Make sure that your darkmod directory is not set to Read Only and that your user is allow to write there.

Perhaps try white-listing the folder in your Security Software.

Finally, try Freyk's "installer beta":

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18207-beta-test-tdm-installer-windows

I'm trying to get it off Read Only, but the change won't stick for some reason. Might have to try Freyk.

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

Bikerdude, on 14 Jul 2016 - 4:22 PM, said:

@Do, what OS are you running..?

Windows 8.1 (yes, yes, I know), unless I've misunderstood what you meant.

Try check marking the first two options in the advanced section of the installer. Allso check the target folder. I had the same issue and this fixed it.

That worked! I think. It did say that there were some files that needed to be updated, but other than that, seems to worked fine.

Outstanding work. Thank you guys.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I hope this is the right thread for this: I have a big problem.

I've launched tdmupdate.exe, it downloaded and installed its own new version (which, I guess, would then download and install 2.04).

However, when the updater tried to restart itself, it crashed with an error message saying "This is not a 32-bit Windows application." Further attempts to manually start it result in "Access denied."

What's the deal? Did you make the new updater version a 64-bit only app? What about The Dark Mod itself? If that's still 32-bit, then how can I update it now? If the game itself is 64-bit now, then... you've just dumped me.

The folder has the read-only attribute set, and Windows refuses to unset it, not even with the attrib -r command in cmd.exe. However, I CAN manually move files out of and back into the folder.

I can't find Freyk's installer, because the only relevant link I could locate on the TDM page points to a forum thread here, and the only relevant-looking link there is dead. Could you please post a direct link?

Edited by Premier

Is this one broken too:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16226-graphical-installers-for-tdm/?do=findComment&comment=391506

?

One thing that might be happening is that you may be bumping into the 2GB address limit during mission loading.

If you delete the Darkmod.exe and Gamex86.dll then run tdm_updater then move the currently installed mission out of the FMS

directory does TDM start?

If so, perhaps setting image_downsize cvars will keep the program from going over the 2GB limit:

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
seta image_useNormalCompression "2"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "1"
seta image_preload "1"
seta image_downSizeBump "1"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
seta image_downSize "1"
seta image_downSizeLimit "512"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta com_videoRam "512" (or however much video RAM you have)

seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_useIndexBuffers "0"
seta r_useCachedDynamicModels "1"
seta r_useShadowVertexProgram "1"

seta r_useEntityCulling "1"

That's the one I found, and the first link in the post (which sounds like the one I need) says "This site has been disabled for violations of our Terms of Service. If you feel this disabling was in error, please fill in our appeal form."

One thing that might be happening is that you may be bumping into the 2GB address limit during mission loading.

I'm not sure how mission loading is relevant to the problem. I can run Darkmod.exe, and I can install and load missions. What I cannot run is tdmupdate.exe*; and without that, I cannot update Darkmod from 2.03 to 2.04.

*And I could run its earlier version, until it downloaded and installed the new version (of itself, not of Darkmod).

If you delete the Darkmod.exe and Gamex86.dll then run tdm_updater then move the currently installed mission out of the FMS

directory does TDM start?

Well, I launched Darkmod.exe, uninstalled the mission I had in place, quit Darkmod, moved Darkmod.exe and Gamex86.dll to a different directory, and ran tdm_updater... and it failed to launch with an Access Denies message.

It seems to me like the problem is definitely with the updater program - the last-but-one version could run and work on 32-bit WinXP, the newest one (which I guess was created the same time as Darkmod 2.04) doesn't.

EDIT: As a stopgap solution, could someone perhaps post a direct download link to an older version of tdmupdate.exe? Not the current one, but the one before that. As I recall, it might be possible to forbid it from updating itself and only allowing it to update Darkmod.

Edited by Premier