The Dark Mod Forums

Beta test - TDM-installer Windows

freyk

If you have read the tdm 2.04 publication on our forum,
you know that I am working on several installation-applications to install the TDM-gamefolder and -updater.

Now I am near at the last step to publish the first stable version of the installer for Windows,
But I looking for people to do the last tests.

You can help me do the following steps and post the results in this topic.

• Download the TDM-installer zip file from my google drive
  • unpack the zip file.
  • run the installer. (test 1: Check if you see to the welcome screen, after you accepted the unknown publisher-warning)
  • at the screen where you specify the location for tdm, select the program files-folder (or something else) and click on the install button.
    (dont select your own excisting tdm-folder)
    At the following window the tdm-gamefolder will be installed. (test 2: check if it installs the files.)
  • At the final step of the installer, you be asked if you want that the installer start the updater. Keep the checkbox checked, click on the finish-button and .(test 3: check if the updater starts)
  • At the updater, click on continue (test 4: check if you dont get an error) and after the updater-check, click the cancel-button.
  • Start the updater using the shortcut (test 5) and install tdm using the updater.
  • Run tdm (test 6), download & install a mission (test 7)
  • Remove TDM using the uninstaller from the TDM-gamefolder (test 8)
  • Post your results in this topic.

If you have other comments please, post them also on this topic.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Thank you.

Would you commend for this utility to be available on torrent sites? Your opinion matters.

Have a good day.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Yes and no.

Yes, its a method to distribute the installer.

No, the installer and updater works almost the same as a torrent.

Its nicer to create torrent for a combination of standalone zipfile of the entire tdm 2.04-installation (2,7 gb) and another tdm-installer. (it will then be like the playonlinux-tdminstaller) (i will be happy to create that installer)

Or one big tdminstaller of 2,7 gb.

(you compile yourself, using the tdminstaller-source code)

• Like 2

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

TL;DR - works great - all tests - check fine - no probs with installer - looks great, cool icons - needs some text re-written, poss author name in the bottom right corner of text box, with simply "TDM installer by, "name or handle here". Uninstaller removes all trace - no registry entry or anything.

Idk why someone would want to have the option to make the shortcut to the updater, or even have the option to not run the updater after installer - it seems pointless. A way to simply check for game update or update of installer itself first would be the best thing, then that's that, skip to update after verify folder, np.

It looks like it does it already - this is another test to run, but I need to install a copy of older version of tdm to see how it would work as an updater using only the install package. (2.03 i only updated lately, 2.04 I know about only because of the installer, as I've been very unwell the past few months).

Any other time I'd need to use it - I'm installing the game and want the files right now, not more buttons to click yes yes yes!

If this auto proceed was the case, then the text would need to change accordingly - Idk why there is need of the option, really.

---

Condensed notes:

Screw torrents - I use them for other and file-sharing only (someone else's tracker), not game installers unless it's other stuff.

Direct download ftw. I'd prefer to get the 2.6gb whole lot ready to extract also, self-clean temps - but as a direct download at 40mbs instead of... 20 mins of mirrors /p2p.

• No Dark Mod installed at all.
  • readme.txt, check.
  • Run exe, Get welcome screen. Has TDM logo on taskbar. No unknown publisher thing.
  • Game folder/files is two words. Text is backwards - can be simplified.
"This application installs only the game folder and updater [for the game].
Please run the [game] updater after the installation, as this is required to download game files.
For more info..."

Why can't the updater run auto after the installer?

If this is the case, wording can be simplified further:

"This application installs on the game folder and updater [for the game].
The updater will run after the installation, as this is required to download game files.
For more info..."
  • License agreement, blah blah. Shortcut(s) creation.
  • Installs by default to c:\games\darkmod, needs 3.4mb.
  • Completes in seconds. Lots of shortcuts... Updater and darkmod, both desktop and start-menu.
  • Box is auto checked for launch TDM updater (ah, so it is "auto-run", good).
  • The text could do with tweaking.
"The updater is installed on your computer,
To complete the installation of TDM, you must run the updater to download required game files".

If updater runs auto (no check), text can be further simplified:

"The updater is installed on your computer. The updater will now download required game files"
  • I do this. Click finish as box is checked - idk why I made a desktop icon for updater - wasn't expecting auto continue...
  • Updater 0.65.
  • Prevent TDM from updating itself is only "advanced" check.
  • Success, 6 mirrors available, 2.61gb needs to be downloaded. I Cancel.
  • Run shortcut for TDMupdater. Same Info, version 2.04, etc...
  • d/l is 3,3mbs max, 500kbs slowest. My new internet is 40mbs not like my old superfast fibre. Avg. d/l speed is 1.5-2mbs.
  • fidcal mirror is slowest..
  • zyourvserver,net / waffles is faster.
  • taaki.za.net is over 3mbs for me.
  • CRC checks ok, no errors - log looks legit.
  • CRC is pretty quick - no slower than if I was d/ling the whole thing on dial up. Idk if my new internet is that good... it's rural.
  • Falling asleep... //I'm used to 10mbs min from Steam, so it seems a long time - probably shoulda gone for a smoke break. 90% yay.
  • Fixing bad dates, cleanup.
  • Complete - "your TDM installation is up to date - total d/l 2.61gb".
  • Took about 20 mins.

Non installer notes:

• Launching game, still starts in 640x480. Can't find my native resolution of 1600x900. Chose "custom" and will alt+enter for fullscreen. Nah, sets it back to 640x480 - there's every resolution under the sun but the native desktop resolution - why can't "custom" auto do that for me instead of me having to deal with the configs? I'm not doing it now - running in windowed.
  • Any 4:3 res defaults back to 640 - I can't read anything.
  • finally found 1600x900. that was painful...
  • Did controls, set up gamma / brightness (easier to read now), sound, usual set-up.
  • First run could do with setting to native and also running gamma / brightness test/setup first thing.

Back to installer test:

• Downloaded "window of opportunity" via in game downloader
  • Restarting - gonna play a bit, even thought i HATE the "no blackjacking or killing" restrictions and being punished with lesser objectives and AI because I like to leave piles of bodies and mess around - at least it's not "auto fail if u r seen quickload".
  • Can still get stuck behind the horses and have to NOCLIP.
  • Running uninstaller, text needs correcting:
"This uninstaller will remove TDM from your system".
Uninstalled in less than 1 second.

"The dark mod was successfully removed
For more info...".
  • Finish.
  • Shortcuts all gone.
  • Everything worked fine for me.

About the installer - the wording could do with a little fine-tuning, might be nice to put "installer by [yourname] in bottom right of welcome box".

About the game iteself - Would be nice to have it install at native [readable] resolution and run gamma/brightness calibration on first launch - cos I couldn't see properly to sort it out.

Everything else, A-OK

Edited by teh_saccade

Thanks, I processed your test results and comments in a new version of the installer.

Please download the new version (v20160717) from my google drive and run the tests again, mentioned in the first post.

For now I only need the testresults for the installer and uninstaller and you can skip test 6 and 7.

• I cannot hide the unknown publisher warning, because i have to buy windowapp-certification files for it.
    i can disable this message by removing the elevated permission, but then people cant install TDM in their program-files-folder, if they want to.
  • I tried to remove the checkbox that confirms to run the updater automatically after the installation, but that didn't work at the moment.
  • I changed / corrected several text labels.
  • I added custom text labels to the installer and uninstaller. (so It doesn't look like the tdm-installer un/installs "itself" anymore)

I need to know an application-argument to run the updater unattended.
Got several application arguments to start the updater with specified settings (like the noselfupdate), but not one to run the update process automatically, like tdm-updater for linux

In theory its possible to change the default screen resolution and brightness, during the installation.

But to prevent new user-problems, I dont want to program the installer to do that.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I have uploaded version 20160718, after some fixes.

• Please check if the updater starts, when you close the installer.
  • Check if the targetdir in the advanced options, is the same location where you installed tdm in (when using the updater after the installer and using by the shortcuts).
  • Could somebody do a grammar/spellingscheck the text in my installer (get the lines from github) and pm me the corrections. (lines 77,80,95,100, 101, 105, 106, 110, 111,112,113,123,125,137,141,142,146-149, 153,154, 258,259,260 and 261)

After fixing the errors above, i will change the change the status of the updater to release candidate.

The unknown publisher warning will not be fixed, because many installers of open-source applications/games (like Mixxx) doesnt add these certificates too.
I removed the userconfirm-checkbox at the last installer page. The updater automatically starts when the user hit the finish-button.
Added argument targetdir to the updater, with quotes. The updater will not crash when the targetdir has spaces in it. (maybe also the solution for DR filepath problem??)

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I read your PM @freyk - will check github lines this week - wilco. //v. busy week ahead, else i would do sooner, sorry//

Wasn't sure which thread you meant, but found it now.

Problem with target dir DR (I think) whitespace not breakspace: https://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/spaces.html - real pain to deal with.

Problem all over (esp SQL/PHP db lookup [' ']) - dw about it, simply force name to have no space. Just use _ or have headache.

I will PM you text copy (inc. line) instead of add to github - expect by 25/07/16, probably sooner.

----

Also - nice one on making updater autostart (++) - I never received unknown publisher warning - cert is free on win 10.

One problem - your app is 64bit and so will not update on 32bit system (which TDM 32bit) - already I had to provide a guy with 32bit updater in order to get TDM 2.04.

Any chance of 32bit version..?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18205-the-dark-mod-204-is-here/page-2?do=findComment&comment=391999

Edited by teh_saccade

oh merida! I didn't complete this task for you yet - I am - I just woke up from a dream and remembered !!! I Will do it for you first thing tomorrow. PM / post from github code ref you sent me.

I have been so busy and had so much going on and visiting doctors and places and ppl and things - I totally forgot til just now - I will do in the morning.

//12:54pm
On it - give me a few hours

Edited by teh_saccade

77: VIAddVersionKey Comments "${InstallerName} is an application that creates the game folder and updater for the game, The Dark Mod. For additional details, visit ${AppWebsite}"
80: VIAddVersionKey FileDescription "${InstallerName} is an application that creates the game folder and will install and run the updater for the game, The Dark Mod. For additional details, visit ${AppWebsite}"
95: !define MUI_WELCOMEPAGE_TEXT "Welcome to the installer for The Dark Mod.$\n$\nThis application will create the game folder and then install the latest version of the game updater. $\n$\nAfter the installation, the updater will run to download the required game files.$\n$\nFor more information go to ${AppWebsite}$\n$\n$\n$\n${InstallerName} by Freek 'Freyk' Borgerink."

//
//NB - 64bit, 32bit issue, as discussed. I "fixed" previous by supplying older version of game

//updater. Alternative..? Poss issue..? Where to get older version of TDM updater? (in my //dropbox, also at fidcal).
// http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18205-the-dark-mod-204-is-here/page-2?do=findComment&comment=391999
// post #49
// ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED. NEW COMPILE FOR PPL STILL RUNNING 32BIT NP IGNORE.
//

100: !define MUI_PAGE_HEADER_SUBTEXT "Please review the license agreement before installing ${AppName}."
101: !define MUI_LICENSEPAGE_TEXT_BOTTOM "You must accept the agreement to install ${AppName}. Click I agree to continue."
105: !define MUI_PAGE_HEADER_TEXT "Choose Components"
106: !define MUI_PAGE_HEADER_SUBTEXT "Choose the features of ${AppName} you wish to install."

110: !define MUI_PAGE_HEADER_TEXT "Choose Install Location"
111: !define MUI_PAGE_HEADER_SUBTEXT "Choose the folder where you would like to install ${AppName}."

112: DirText "This application will now install ${AppName} into the following folder.$\nTo install in a different folder, click Browse to select a different folder.$\nClick Install to begin the installation." \
113: "Please specify the path of the game folder:"
123: !define MUI_FINISHPAGE_TITLE "Completing ${Appname} Setup"
125: !define MUI_FINISHPAGE_TEXT "${InstallerName} has created the game folder and the game updater on your system.$\n$\nTo complete the installation of ${AppName},$\nthe required game files must now be downloaded.$\n$\nWhen you click on the finish button, the updater will run automatically."
137: !define MUI_WELCOMEPAGE_TEXT "This uninstaller will remove ${AppName} from your system.$\n$\n$\n$\n${AppName} Uninstaller by Freek 'Freyk' Borgerink."
141: !define MUI_UNCONFIRMPAGE_TEXT_TOP "Are you sure to remove ${AppName} from your system?"
142: !define MUI_UNCONFIRMPAGE_TEXT_LOCATION "Remove from location:"
146: !define MUI_PAGE_HEADER_TEXT "Uninstalling ${AppName}"

147: !define MUI_PAGE_HEADER_SUBTEXT "Removing ${AppName} from your system."

148: !define MUI_INSTFILESPAGE_FINISHHEADER_TEXT "Uninstalling ${AppName}"

149: !define MUI_INSTFILESPAGE_FINISHHEADER_SUBTEXT "Removing ${AppName} from your system."

153: !define MUI_FINISHPAGE_TITLE "${AppName} Uninstaller"
154: !define MUI_FINISHPAGE_TEXT "${AppName} was succesfully removed.$\n$\nFor more information or news about ${AppName}, $\nvisit ${AppWebsite}"
258: !insertmacro MUI_FUNCTION_DESCRIPTION_BEGIN
259: !insertmacro MUI_DESCRIPTION_TEXT ${SectionUpdater} "The game folder and TDM Updater. The Dark Mod Updater is required for downloading/updating the latest files required to play the game."
260: !insertmacro MUI_DESCRIPTION_TEXT ${SectionShortcuts} "Start menu shortcuts"
261: !insertmacro MUI_DESCRIPTION_TEXT ${SectionShortcutsDesktop} "Desktop shortcuts"
263: !insertmacro MUI_DESCRIPTION_TEXT ${SectionTDM} "The Dark Mod"

//
// Have to decide if it is only "updater" or "TDM Updater" for consistency - otherwise - np.
// additional change to 263, from "The Darkmod" to "The Dark Mod", as game is "The Dark Mod".
//
// Seem ok..?
// 5:56pm
//

----

If u need any more help - just holler - included in PM, but include here for "hard-copy" and ability to edit/correct without resend of PM.
Sry to be so late - been a busy week - had an angry "web developer" leave a lot of back doors I had to close on domain - urgent attn. req. from black-hat to prevent retaliation for losing his job :P heh.

FML.

Edited by teh_saccade

Use this instead of PM, @Freyk - I have made several edits and don't want to spam PM every time.

Final now, I think. YW.

Will check again in the morning for typo / error.

It will be easier to proof-read text when running new compiled installer and seeing in context/action.

Edited by teh_saccade

I have uploaded version v20160731 to my google drive and github.

• I combined grammar corrections from Bikerdude and teh_saccade and added them to the code.
  • Downgraded the embedded tdm updater 0.65 to 0.64, for the windows xp compability (atm 0.65 doesn't work on XP)
  • Also changed static gametitle codelines to variable codelines.
    So the gametitle inside the installer, can be changed using one single codeline.
    To keep the consistency, TDM is called in the installer, at this moment, "The Dark Mod" (with spaces. because a total-conversion is a mod)

For the testers:

All users - Please follow steps 1 through 5.

xp users - check if the updater 0.64 runs on your system and start automatically, after the installation.

Please post your results, comments and thoughts.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 weeks later...