The Dark Mod Forums

Single player and/or 1st person games: Recomendations

Bikerdude

So, untill DX:MD, D2 come out I am looking for some other SP/FP to play. I have pretty much played everything I can find on steam when searching for Sp/Fp, so am looking for suggestions/recommendations. I will update the OP with any games that get recommended and mark them as played or to get etc.

Game					type		rating	misc
Batman Arkham Series			Sp 3rd		9	
Bioshock: 1/2/3				Sp 1st		10	
Black Mesa				Sp 1st		7	
Chronicles of Riddick: EfBB/AoDA	Sp 3rd		8	
Crysis 1/2/3				Sp 1st		9	
Dark Messiah                            Sp 1st          8
Dead Space 				Sp 3rd		6	hated the controls, so never played 2/3
Deus Ex: HR				Sp 1st		10	
Dishonored				Sp 1st		10	
Doom					Sp 1st		7	
Doom 2016				Sp 1st			Waiting for price to drop
Dyning Light				Sp 1st		9	
Elder Scrolls Skyrim		`	Sp 1st		8	
F.e.a.r. 1/2/3				Sp 1st		8	
Fallout 4				Sp 1st			PLAYING
Far Cry 1				Sp 1st		6	
Firewatch				Sp 1st Sty	6	
Half life 2 & Ep1/2			Sp 1st		8	
Hard Reset Redux			Sp 1st		6	
Homefront				Sp 1st		5	
Homefront Revolution			Sp 1st		8	
Homeworld: Desert of Kharak		Sp RTG		10	
Mass Effect series			Sp 3rd		10	
Max Payne 1 & 2                         Sp 3rd          10    
Metro series 2033/lastlight		Sp 1st		9	
Portal 1/2				Sp 1st		8	
Prey					Sp 1st		8	
Prospekt				Sp 1st		7	
Rage					Sp 1st		7	
Red Faction: Armageddon			Sp 3rd			not heard of this one
Remember Me                             Sp 1st & 3rd    8       Played on easy as the fighting was repetitive, good story.
Serious Sam 3				Sp 1st		6	
Singularity				Sp 1st		9	
Stalker Series SoC/Cs/CoP		Sp 1st		9	
Styx master of shadows			Sp 3rd		8	
The Last of Us (PS3)			Sp 3rd		9	
The walking Dead Telltale		Sp 3rd Sty	8	
The Witcher 3: all DLC			Sp 1st		10	
Thief 2016				Sp 3rd		6	
TimeShift                               Sp 1st          8
Tomb Raider 2013			Sp 3rd		8	
Tomb Raider Legend			Sp 3rd		8	
Tomb Raider, Rise of			Sp 3rd		10
Quake 3/4                               Sp 1st          8    
War for Overworld (DK successor)	Sp RTG		8	
Wolfenstien: TNO & TOB			Sp 1st		8	

# Not really a fan of Horror games
# I don't do an EA or Uplay games due to their utterly abysmal customer track record and privacy violations.

So, untill DX:MD, D2 come out I am looking for some other SP/FP to play. I have pretty much played everything I can find on steam when searching for Sp/Fp, so am looking for suggestions/recomendations. I will update the OP with any games that get recomended and mark them as played or to get etc.

Any particular genres? And are you limited by gamepad or not?

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

If you've searched everything on Steam, the other big source is indie games: https://itch.io/games

They're usually shorter & more experimental, which I like, but isn't everybody's cup of tea.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

# I don't do an EA or Uplay games due to their intrusive spying of customers.

Too bad, the Farcry games I played (3 and Blooddragon) were quite good.

If you're into puzzle games, I would suggest The Talos Principle (it's also 1st person). Have not finished it myself, yet, but the puzzles are well made, the graphics are good and it is overall very interesting.

1. Alpha Protocol,
  2. Arx Fatalis
  3. Betrayer,
  4. Binary Domain,
  5. Borderlands,
  6. Bound by Flame,
  7. Bulletstorm.
  8. Call of Juarez,
  9. Castlevania,
  10. Condemned.
  11. Dark Messiah,
  12. The Darkness,
  13. Dead Island,
  14. Dragon Age.
  1. not heard of it, will check it out.
  2. heard of it, looks a bit on the old side (The thief Series is really the only very old game I play)
  3. Hmm 2014, looks interesting _ like the first gameplay vid on steam with the crossbow action
  4. Now... this looks interesting, the comedic commentary alone makes it worth getting - will probably get.
  5. Heard of this, but somehow forgot about it. I thought it was only MP., looks nice with DS type textures - will probably get.
  6. Pretty to be sure, but it got mixed reviews..
  7. This looks fun, but the 3rd party site to activate might be a problem - as in GFWL no longer exists. That said this website provides a legit .gfwl.dll to bypass for single player only.
  8. Another one I forgot about, looks good - but a bit old.
  9. This looks and sounds kinda epic and there a few famous voices in there - http://store.steampowered.com/app/234080/
  10. Do you mean this one..? - http://store.steampowered.com/app/4720/ if so its a tad too old.
  11. Played it, will add to the Op.
  12. Cant find TD1, only TD2 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/67370/
  13. Looks like an older version of Dying light.
  14. Played the demo then forgot about it, so might try again.

Thanks for the list!

For what it's worth, I got some serious fun out of Sniper Elite V2 (haven't played the others yet, it's somewhere on my to-do list). I was playing the Silver Star Edition on PS3, but it looks like Steam carries the game, along with Sniper Elite 3 for something slightly newer. The fourth game is currently in the works too.

Bikerdude:

Alpha Protocol is a Mass Effect-like game set in the modern world. Metacritic user score = 75% (PC).

Arx Fatalis is the first game created by Arkane Studios. Metacritic user score = 83% (PC).

Betrayer has been created by a few ex-Monolith developers (Blood 1&2, NOLF 1&2&J, AvP 2, Condemned 1&2, F.E.A.R. 1&2). Metacritic user score = 73% (PC).

Borderlands 1&2&PreSequel are almost endless games.

Call of Juarez 1-4 are stealth-oriented western-like games.

Condemned 1&2 are old but still interesting games. Metacritic user score = 82% and 85% (360). Alas, Condemned 2 was never ported to PC, so you'll need 360 or PS3 to play it.

The Darkness 1&2 are good enough games. Metacritic user score = 81% and 75% (360). Alas, The Darkness 1 was never ported to PC.

Dead Island - the game and its DLC were recently ported onto the most modern Chrome Engine v6, the same version as in Dying Light. Yes, both games are about zombies, but they are different enough.

Ok, I'll continue my list:

D: Darksiders 1&2, Dark Souls 1&2&3 - lots of fighting in 3rd person.

E: Enslaved - adventures in a strange world, like TLoU.

F: Fable 1&2&3 - RPG.

F: Far Cry 2 (two) - Africa and guns, weak story but a lot of unique and authentic places to explore, nice visuals for 2008, has no DRM at all since v1.03 (i.e. no Uplay).

F: Fallout 3 & New Vegas - old but still fun games, especially NV.

P.S. You have some typos in your list: "Arkam"->"Arkham", "Cryssis"->"Crysis", "Dishonoured"->"Dishonored" (I know, I know, you're British :)), "Dyning"->"Dying", "Half life"->"Half-life", "Thief 2016"->"Thief 2014", "Wolfenstien: NO & NB"->"Wolfenstein: TNO & TOB".

Edited by MoroseTroll

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (the most recent CoJ game) is only 3 years old and is a lot of fun. The 2nd CoJ game (Bound in Blood), besides being enjoyable in itself, also has a lot of fan made missions (quality varies) -- 48 that I would rate good or OK and 37 that I would rate poor or bad.

Not sure if you're aware of it : http://store.steampowered.com/app/384110/

An artsy existentialist 1'st game poised with philosophical problems on man's condition, filled with allegories and determined to question numerous topics in the eastern country's steepe realities.

No horror. Just an atmosphere of a plague. It's a kind of a perpetual museum into everything that is russian culture from medieval ages to 20'th century (gotta love the bandit grinning

).

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Well I'd recommend you don't wait for Fallout 4 but get it now. I'm playing this on Playstation 4 (which has the advantage of being able to play the current game within seconds of pressing the boot up button. Must all be held in flash memory I guess.)

There is some sneaking and even a kind of poor man's light gem which only shows when crouched. It's clunky but you get a [Detected] (for friendlies) [Caution] for medium alerts and [Danger] for full alerts. 1st/3rd pov switchable in game.

Northern areas nearer the start point have weaker enemies so gather while ye may. Most stuff respawns so best to find places to revisit and accumulate to build up enough loot to buy the best weapons etc. As with Dying Light, scavenge for junk as well as weapons etc because you can break them down into component materials and make stuff as well as mod weapons etc. You can actually build and create stuff in-game (not anywhere but within 'settlements'), and I mean walls, buildings, furniture, radio beacons. So, starting with an abandoned village you can recruit settlers via the radio put them to work farming crops or as guards. Tip: after you've got say 4 or 6 settlers turn off the radio beacon in each settlement because I soon had several settlements and it was hard to manage as more settlers arrived at each because you need to gather materials and build stuff to keep up and there's a LOT to do! You can then turn on the beacon in a selected settlement for a while when you're ready to let it grow a bit more.

All that as well as the usual quests which build up so fast I can't keep up and they are listed and growing. But you're totally free to pick and choose any quest or break off half at any point and do something else. Or you can just explore, sneak or fight, whatever, play it how you like.

I'd say one important thing is to find the right balance between breaking down stuff into materials or selling it as is for money. If you try to accumulate just materials then you'll probably find your not accumulating loot whereas if you sell everything you find you're short of materials! Create container to store and manage the different types! I have one box in which I stash stuff I'm going to sell when a trader arrives, a chest for specials, another for weapons/amour I may or may not hand out to settlers (not sure yet how big the threats will be later,) and any of the 'workshop' type benches hold the materials. Another tip I read and am following (though I've not seen it in action yet) is give your guards a rapid fire gun and a single ammo for it. Apparently they never run out of ammo then. Whereas of course for your own weapons, if you use a machine gun you can spray the enemy but use up your ammo real quick! There's a VAST range of weapons almost too much to try to assess which to use and then there's the dreaded 'you're carrying to much weight to run'. But there are several AI you can get to accompany you (only one at a time) to fight with you and carry stuff for you or send them ahead to draw out the enemy and take the heat. They can be a pain though, getting in your way or alerting enemy when you wan to sneak so you need to tell them what to do and where to stand.

Awesome desolate landscape. Tune to Radio Diamond City for fun old 1940's and 50's music right at the roots of rock. Terrific value I reckon even at full price because there is just so much to do I can see me playing this for months and months.

Anderson: What about the English localization of Pathologic? I heard it's awful - so if you want a real experience, learn Russian.

BTW, wanna play another Russian games, not so art house? Here: Inversion (like Gears of War + fun with gravitation), TimeShift (like Half-life 2 + fun with time), Will Rock (like Serious Sam in the Ancient Greece). All three games were created in St.Petersburg, Russia, by Saber Interactive.

Anderson: What about the English localization of Pathologic? I heard it's awful - so if you want a real experience, learn Russian.

BTW, wanna play another Russian games, not so art house? Here: Inversion (like Gears of War + fun with gravitation), TimeShift (like Half-life 2 + fun with time), Will Rock (like Serious Sam in the Ancient Greece). All three games were created in St.Petersburg, Russia, by Saber Interactive.

I tried it and it did not seem to me that bad. Much worse was the localization of Sea Dogs To Each His Own, but that's a pure RPG with a team of far worse communication skills anyway.

Russian won't be learned by anyone mostly because how hard it is in grammar and so forth. Only dedicated people to Dostoievski, Tolstoi, Pushkin, Lermontov, Gorikii will try that, if they granted weren't daunted by the huge cultural fence. So quite unlikely that people will learn Russian just for Pathologic.

Generally there's almost no games from ex-USSR because of the poor economy our countries have. But there are glimpses of hope with Stalker, Ice Pick Lodge games, Naval Action seemed promising a while ago... and that's about it.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Russian won't be learned by anyone mostly because how hard it is in grammar and so forth.

Who said that? According to FSI, Russian is simpler than several European languages (Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian). In return, if you know Russian, you'll be understood everywhere from the eastern borders of the EU to the western Pacific coast, except of course China, Japan, both Koreas, and everything to south.

But I must agree with you that gamedev in CIS is rather weak. That Saber Interactive is now busy with... Halo remakes. Ok, enough of this.

Let me continue my list:

H: Hitman series. Need I speak more :)?

J: Just Cause series: nice visuals, a lot of freedom, guns and explosions!

K: Kane & Lynch 1&2 - a pair of criminal games from the makers of Hitman.

K: Kingdoms of Amalur - fantasy RPG.

L: L.A.Noire

L: Legend of Grimrock 1&2 - RPG.

L: Lichdom: Battlemage - fantasy RPG with nice visuals (based on CryEngine 3).

L: Lost Planet series - three fun 3rd person shooters.

BTW, Bikerdude, why do you hate controls in Dead Space 1? I've played all three games on PC and never had any problems with it.

• Dead Island - the game and its DLC were recently ported onto the most modern Chrome Engine v6, the same version as in Dying Light. Yes, both games are about zombies, but they are different enough.

Ok, I'll continue my list:

• D: Darksiders 1&2, Dark Souls 1&2&3 - lots of fighting in 3rd person.
  • E: Enslaved - adventures in a strange world, like TLoU.
  • F: Fable 1&2&3 - RPG.
  • F: Far Cry 2 (two) - Africa and guns, weak story but a lot of unique and authentic places to explore, nice visuals for 2008, has no DRM at all since v1.03 (i.e. no Uplay).
  • F: Fallout 3 & New Vegas - old but still fun games, especially NV.

New list

• not into fighting games or that type.
  • same above above.
  • Too old.
  • Tried that back when ti was new - god-awful controls and the game wasn't particularly good.
  • Tried it, gfx were just too low res.

• H: Hitman series. Need I speak more .
  • J: Just Cause series: nice visuals, a lot of freedom, guns and explosions!
  • K: Kane & Lynch 1&2 - a pair of criminal games from the makers of Hitman.
  • K: Kingdoms of Amalur - fantasy RPG.
  • L: L.A.Noire
  • L: Legend of Grimrock 1&2 - RPG.
  • L: Lichdom: Battlemage - fantasy RPG with nice visuals (based on CryEngine 3).
  • L: Lost Planet series - three fun 3rd person shooters.
  • BTW, why do you hate controls in Dead Space 1? I've played all three games on PC and never had any problems with it.
  • Looking to play the latest series when the price drops for the full version.
  • will look into that.
  • Nope, this game was severely slated because it was a pile of steaming crap and have more bugs than a rotting corpse.
  • Another fighting game, not my cup of tea.
  • Yeah I forgot about this, will have another look.
  • Never really got sold on it.
  • Interesting will have to have a look into it.
  • interesting but a bit old now.
  • I hated the way the view was stuck over the r/h shoulder - some weird-ass 3rd person thars constantly blocking your view of that side of the screen.

I recommend:

Half life 1 (and opposing force & blueshift)

starwars republic commando

Way way too old

Try out Shadow Warrior, it's by the guys who did Hard Reset.

Got it but haven't played it yet.