The Dark Mod Forums

Single player and/or 1st person games: Recomendations

Bikerdude

1. M: Mafia 1 & 2 (and soon 3).

M: Max Payne 1 & 2 & 3.

M: Mirror's Edge 1 & Catalyst.

P: Painkiller: Hell & Damnation (and all previous games).

P: Payday 1 & 2.

P: Pneuma.

R: Remember Me.

R: Risen 1, probably 2 & 3.

R: Ryse: Son of Rome.

1. Not my cup of tea

Played, will update op

I may go and get ME1, while I wait a price drop on MEC.

Its not SP, its a MP only game.

Played the demo, so may get the full game if its cheap.

No story, and its mostly a VR game.

I remember this, I was going to get it but it got poor reviews. So it its going cheap will consider it.

Amusing voice acting, let down by repetitive gameplay,

Will look into this one.

So tried to play Binary Domain, and ran into a big issue straight of the bat - the game has severe control configuration issues. If you try to manually set the keyboard config some keys just wont re-map, that and the mouse control sensitivity adjustment does jack diddly. The only saving grace is only paid £2 for it.

Currently playing 'Remember Me' and I gotta say for a 3yr old game it looks amazing. I have only just started, but it looks like a cross between D:EX-HR and Mass effect. And the gameplay is a mix between tomb-raider and batman.

Seeing bits of Dishonoured in there now aswell.

Edited by Bikerdude
keep seeing other games in this game

I'm going to ignore the fact that you don't like old games. Three of my all-time faves here, great atmosphere and mood:

System Shock 2

Condemned 1

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth

Don't be such a graphics whore - play these games, they're excellent.

Also, just going through my Steam list:

Portal 1 and 2

Alien Isolation

The Witness

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines

Miasmata

Amnesia/Penumbra/SOMA

Outlast

Neon Struct

Metal Gear Solid 5

Sir You Are Being Hunted

State of Decay

Firewatch

I could go on....

1. I'm going to ignore the fact that you don't like old games. Three of my all-time faves here, great atmosphere and mood:

System Shock 2

Condemned 1

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth

Portal 1 and 2

Alien Isolation

The Witness

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines

Miasmata

Amnesia/Penumbra/SOMA

Outlast

Neon Struct

Metal Gear Solid 5

Sir You Are Being Hunted

State of Decay

Firewatch

1. As I said the only old games I play anymore are T1/2.

Too old.

Not my cup of tea.

Too old and Not my cup of tea.

Played them, and while good are far too short.

Not my cup of tea.

Not my cup of tea.

Looks like a good game, just too old.

Interesting, but the control looks a bit wonky.

Not my cup of tea.

Defiantly Not my cup of tea.

Not my cup of tea.

Have had a look at this, will do some more research.

know about this one, but never got around to researching it.

Looks interesting, will do some research.

Played it, not bad if a bit short.

Ouch, Biker, I can't tell if you're just really picky or if our tastes just don't match up at all.

I'm playing a game called The Solus Project right now, it's a first person exploration/survival game, where you crash land on an alien planet. Pretty interesting so far, but I'm just a few hours in.

As already mentioned, if you haven´t played Call of Juarez (especially the first 2 games) and you don´t hate western settings, play it.

If you want to try Just Cause, I can recommend the second one, its not as buggy as the third one and quite cheap.

I also know that you hate games with old graphics and so on, but i can really recommend Deus Ex 1 to you - I never got to play it when I was a child and even though I could never understand the hype some players gave to some older games (HL 1 and GTA 3 for example, which I both played too, btw), I gave Deus Ex a try and even though the graphics are abysmal by todays standards, the outstanding soundtrack, setting and gameplay really put that game in my personal top 10 when I first played it in 2015. You just have to give it a chance.

On the other side, some mod recommendations (again):

- Underhell is an awesome HL2 mod, graphics are mediocre, but the gameplay, soundtrack and atmosphere are AAA level (feels a bit like FEAR and Left4Dead gameplaywise - but you have to wait until chapter 1 really started, the prologue/beginning feels a little messy)

-> http://www.moddb.com/mods/underhell

-> gameplay:

- Enderal will get its English release within the next weeks, I played it already and it is a great game -> http://www.moddb.com/mods/enderal (link for later)

Edited by Cookie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah, that was weird to me too. I also liked SS2 much more than e.g. first Deus Ex.

Btw. I'm probably repeating myself, but Alpha Protocol, while it often feels clunky, is probably the only true spy game in the world focused not on action and killing, but on gathering intel and using it in meaningful way in conversations. I had great moments with this game, especially towards the end, where the amount of info and completing dossiers really mattered.

So anyone played Sherlock Holes: The Devils Daughter..?

Frogware studios made games focusing on Sherlock Holmes are actually not bad. I only played a few of the old ones from the beginning of the 2000's. They just make decent adventure games for the most part.

It doesn't have a buget of L.A. Noire probably but it might be interesting if you like the plot synopsis. Because as you are probably aware, each Sherlock story usually has a mood of its own. I.e. if Hound of Baskerville is a horror thing than the grand epic about Professor Moriarity is... very epic. Like a thriller I'd say.

AFAIK Frogware studios tries to do the Sherlock from the books specifically. They distance themselves from the Sherlock found in any motion picture or movie series.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson