The Dark Mod Forums

Backup/Recovery Software Recommendations

DirkGildun

I've used Acronis TrueImage (2010 version) for years for backup/recovery of our PCs' hard drives. I had purchased versions 2011 and 2012 when they came out, but they had a lot of bugs (the 2012 version even corrupted the hard drive of a PC that I used at work -- a very bad thing!!!). So I went back to version 2010. However, this version does not seem to like my wife's new Windows 10 PC.

Can anyone recommend any current (compatible with Win 7 and Win 10) software that will create a recovery backup (including a USB and/or CD/DVD bootup option) that you use and like?

Does anyone know if TrueImage 2016 is more stable than the previous versions (going back to 2011)?

Thanks!

Ive been using Acronis for a while now, converted in 2012 from Ghost when it stopped being reliable (as in when Symantec bought them)

I am now on Acronis 2016, I have weird issue in the past with older versions where it failed to restore from an image. But that has only happened 2 times in as many years, so I can't completely point the finger at Acronis. I was using 2014, but upgraded to 2016 to get NVMe SSD support.

I use Acronis recovery on a USB stick, but you can install it on a machine and do restores locally. Simialr to the way OEM factory restore works on pre-built PC's from HP, Dell, etc.

An similar looking alternative to Acronis is a util called Macrium Reflect, and of course there is good old CloneZilla (but this is painfully slow)

- http://alternativeto.net/software/acronis-true-image/

Looking at reviews of True Image 2016 on Acronis' forum and on Amazon, it seems 2016 has a lot of the same problems that have plagued the versions after 2010. I don't feel comfortable shelling out more money to them for a version that potentially I'll try and then scrap.

I've seen some good reviews for a free backup/recovery package -- AOEMEI Backupper Standard 3.5 (you have to pay for the Pro version). I've installed it, and, while its GUI is much more simplistic that what I was used to with Acronis, it seems to do everything I'm looking for. But I need to play around with it some more before I feel comfortable enough with it to have our PCs be totally reliant on it.

Thanks for your thoughts, Bikerdude!

Looking at reviews of True Image 2016 on Acronis' forum and on Amazon, it seems 2016 has a lot of the same problems that have plagued the versions after 2010. I don't feel comfortable shelling out more money to them for a version that potentially I'll try and then scrap.

Interesting, got some links..?

Re: Acronis -

• I would say a lot of those users were using the applcation instead of the recovery media - I have never ever doing a backup and restore from windows. I always boot frome the recovery media, this is safer and also allows me to restore and image direclty a brand new and empty hard drive etc.
  • And a bunch of them are using Windows 10
  • And some of them are trying to restore from the cloud.
  • I also disable ALL the Acronis services, as there is no need to have them running

• 3 weeks later...

Bikerdude,

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from Acronis announcing the new 2017 version of True Image. It quoted a price that was for 1 license for 1 PC for 1 year. Was this the case for the 2016 version also -- only good for 1 year?

I dropped McAfee anti-virus back when they went to that crap -- no updates to their virus definitions after 1 year.