The Dark Mod Forums

[Obsolete as of TDM 2.06] TUTORIAL: How to setup EAX for TDM on any soundcard

Goldwell

Is the level of reverb adjustable? I'd like some, but I don't know if I'd want it as high as it is in the example video. Even simple rooms sound like echoey caves to me.

I'll definitely be trying this then. Thanks for posting such clear instructions Gold!

The 64-bit patch includes EFX which is sorta an Open Source equivalent to EAX.

This is an outside workaround rather than a native code change.

Still pretty damned cool but Linux folks will be more inclined to look forward to the native fix.

(Which is one of the main reasons for the 64-bit branch, better Linux support \ no need to install legacy 32-bit libraries, etc.)

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I just had several thoughts -

1. I see the CreativeAlchemey14303REstrictionRemove patched 2 files, one of them being dsound.dll. Normally when setting up TDM within the althemely application, it copies the dsound.dll to the root off darkmod folder. I already have a dsound.dll file in there so in this instance I will need to copy the updated file over.
  2. How will the updated dsound.dll file effect other EAX game, eg Thief 1/2/3...?
  3. does that mean with EAX working mappers can now add the EFX args to thier maps? I had started making Sir Talbots EAX/EFX ready when making the map....

I got very close to getting EAX working a couple of months ago, but the only available link in the several threads I searched in (VOGONS, PCGamingWiki or else) for the MST restriction remover was branded as a trojan by my AV and I didn't want to risk it. With that said this one's obviously coming up clean. I wonder if this is a different version than the one I was looking at. At any rate, I'm really glad that at least some form of EAX is now available for TDM!

Since this is a workaround solution I assume the reveerb is kind of static, no? Like, going in bigger rooms won't increase the strength? Because I think a mapper would have to provide those special spawnargs for that.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I just had a thought, does that mean with EAX working mappers can now add the EFX args to thier maps? I had started making Sir Tolbots EAX/EFX ready when making the map....

You should be able to do that, yes. It will only have an effect with either the above workaround or the 64-bit branch but it's not a bad idea to get your missions ready

for the new functionality.

I second the last question.

Great job. This was missed a lot by the community (we're in read only mode usually).

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I just had several thoughts -

1. I see the CreativeAlchemey14303REstrictionRemove patched 2 files, one of them being dsound.dll. Normally when setting up TDM within the althemely application, it copies the dsound.dll to the root off darkmod folder. I already have a dsound.dll file in there so in this instance I will need to copy the updated file over.
  2. How will the updated dsound.dll file effect other EAX game, eg Thief 1/2/3...?
  3. does that mean with EAX working mappers can now add the EFX args to thier maps? I had started making Sir Talbots EAX/EFX ready when making the map....

In regards to 1 and 2, I currently have ALchemy working with The Dark Mod and T:DS and I haven't run into any problems there, my T1 and T2 use OpenAL so they are on a different system but regardless both still work as well. So i'm going to assume it's a safe bet and this shouldn't mess with anything, as far as i'm aware the restriction remover is what allows us non-soundblaster card users to actually get this thing working... but of course backup your files just incase.

I got very close to getting EAX working a couple of months ago, but the only available link in the several threads I searched in (VOGONS, PCGamingWiki or else) for the MST restriction remover was branded as a trojan by my AV and I didn't want to risk it. With that said this one's obviously coming up clean. I wonder if this is a different version than the one I was looking at. At any rate, I'm really glad that at least some form of EAX is now available for TDM!

Since this is a workaround solution I assume the reveerb is kind of static, no? Like, going in bigger rooms won't increase the strength? Because I think a mapper would have to provide those special spawnargs for that.

The MST restriction remover gave me a trojan warning at first however I submitted the exe to my virus checker company to evaluate (I use BitDefender if you're wondering) and three days later they came back and gave the file a clean bill of health and updated their virus definitions to match this. Either you're using the same virus checker as me or when BitDefender did their review they submitted it to some sort of universal list and all virus checkers are fine with this file now. Either way the file I included here is definitely safe and i'm using it on my system with no problems. In terms of the reverb it uses the standard that TDM has set, mappers can set custom settings however.

In regards to the EAX/EFX files, I was wondering if we should start future proofing our missions. This would be a great way to test how everything works and save having to go back and tinker with missions again, my only query is if these EFX files will be compatible with whatever TDM uses natively when the EAX alternatively gets implemented? Is it even possible to know that yet?

• Like 1

The 64-bit patch includes EFX which is sorta an Open Source equivalent to EAX.

This is an outside workaround rather than a native code change.

Still pretty damned cool but Linux folks will be more inclined to look forward to the native fix.

(Which is one of the main reasons for the 64-bit branch, better Linux support \ no need to install legacy 32-bit libraries, etc.)

Are EAX and EFX the same as open Al? How about using that? Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

As I understand it, the fix replaced the EAX engine code with code that translates map arguments and calculation results to OpenAL.

https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3

Are EAX and EFX the same as open Al? How about using that?

EFX uses open AI from what I understand, so it's just a matter of waiting for the 64 bit branch, but I honestly don't know if we currently have the hands on deck to handle it. Any experienced coders out there? A lot of the work is done, but there is still a good bit to do.

I'll be trying a local merge of SVN into the 64-bit branch after I finish tracker 3881.

I think it's mostly done due to the patches from NagaHuntress but those were never incorporated.

I'll be trying a local merge of SVN into the 64-bit branch after I finish tracker 3881.

I think it's mostly done due to the patches from NagaHuntress but those were never incorporated.

Does SVN make that relatively easy? Are you able to diff the two branches and copy / paste the differences from 2.04 into the 64 bit branch or vice versa?

Yeah you can select revision ranges (commit x to commit y) as I understand it. I should be able to create a new clone branch of 64-bit then merge in SVN changes since the branch-off.

Will give it a try when I get a chance.

https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-merge.html