The Dark Mod Forums

[Obsolete as of TDM 2.06] TUTORIAL: How to setup EAX for TDM on any soundcard

Goldwell

That's a speaker entity that has an incorrect or missing sound shader. It's used to debug for authors.

However some maps may have this as without EAX no sound plays and due to the uncommon use of EAX it's more than likely the author just not knowing the issue is there.

The last map I played was "Full Moon Fever", maybe he should be informed about it despite being apparently a small issue.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I used Creative ALchemy but I think HRTF through OpenAL Soft and EAX through ALchemy won't work together because the first one calls OpenAL and the second one calls DirectSound3D and I think one can use only one of these APIs at a time.

How many maps (and which ones) come with definitions for EAX anyway? I'd assume it's only few because EAX was dead for so long. Without definitions EAX shouldn't do anything, the only thing that would be left would be better 3d audio due to the DirectSound3D -> OpenAL wrapper of ALchemy. OpenAL Soft's 3D audio is better though.

That being said I'm looking forward to EFX availability on Linux and hope for more maps to make use of this great feature.

Edited by Hiradur

How many maps (and which ones) come with definitions for EAX anyway?

As Demagogue said, Patently Dangerous has an EAX profile. So does Volta and the Stone, which I was surprised by. That's about it, I think.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

In this video you mentioned you want to tweak maps to sound right with ALchemy. IMO you shouldn't do that. ALchemy is notably buggy and not up to par with real EAX. For tweaking maps you should either use Windows XP with an EAX capable sound card or wait for OpenAL EFX effects. Everything else would be wasted effort because ALchemy is not a reference implementation of EAX.

The above video was done on an Creative Xfi card, I had tried EAX previous without GW's alternative method and EAX didnt work. Although I will check again, with just native install and see how 2.04 perform's.

Are you using Windows XP? Windows Vista killed audio acceleration which is why EAX doesn't work natively on newer Windows versions. For ALchemy it doesn't matter if you have an EAX capable card or not (assuming you use the hacked version for non Creative cards). All effects are rendered in software so it's equally bad on any card because the emulation by ALchemy is not complete.

Edited by Hiradur

• 9 months later...

If this is resolved, can we expect that EAX reverb will work in 2.06?

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3955

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I've read the thread but I'm still left with 2 (probably dumb, sorry about that) questions.

1. Is this Alchemy restriction remover working with all games that have EAX support, not only TDM?

2. Regarding this:

Yes, if no other bugs are found, the EAX equivalent "EFX" will be included in 2.06. Our internal EAX demo map is working as expected.

If, as I understand, EFX uses OpenAL, we won't be needing Alchemy anymore for TDM, right?

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

I've read the thread but I'm still left with 2 (probably dumb, sorry about that) questions.

1. Is this Alchemy restriction remover working with all games that have EAX support, not only TDM?

A: I think you are right.

2. Regarding this:

If, as I understand, EFX uses OpenAL, we won't be needing Alchemy anymore for TDM, right?

A: Yes, EFX uses OpenAL. No need for Alchemy or anything related to EAX command processing.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, I use the alchemy program with Thief Gold/Thief 2 and Thief Deadly Shadows. As far as i'm aware it works on anything that uses the older EAX, you just have to add in the directory to the program and it should just work.

• 3 years later...

@Goldwell

Hi,

I recently discovered Creative ALchemy Restriction Remover 1.45.03, and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. As far as I know, this is the only way to emulate one of the old sound blaster cards on a laptop PC.

The only problem is that CARR 1.45.03 does not playback 3D and environmental audio effects at the same volume as standard sound effects. They are much quieter than they should be, and I don't have an option to increase their volume without simultaneously raising the volume of the standard sound effects to new deafening heights.

Does anyone know how I can get in touch with someone who worked on programming CARR 1.45.03? I'd like to find out if it is possible to add volume customization for EAX / 3D & environmental audio effects, possibly through numerical values in a text document.

Ideally I'd like to have multiple volume sliders like with an actual sound blaster card, but I'm sure that would be a lot more work.

Thank you very much

• nbohr1more changed the title to [Obsolete as of TDM 2.06] TUTORIAL: How to setup EAX for TDM on any soundcard