The Dark Mod Forums

Cry of Fear

Sotha

Anyone played this? I found it just recently.

Basically it is a horror shooter. Quite difficult, but fun.

Pros:

1) interesting story

2) lots of spookiness

3) many different enemies to loathe and fear.

Cons:

1) voice acting

2) gameplay is a bit average, it is the next spook and need to know what happens in the story that keeps me moving.

It is free, and you can conveniently download it via steam.

I highly recommend it for mappers who are interested in the horror genre in general. Cry of Fear does many horror things just the way they are supposed to. Nice spooky ambients, occasionally distorted reality, sudden noice/attack scares, footsteps following you, heavy breathing next to you in a pitch black room, scary noises, and those certain enemies really are spooky when you meet them the first time.

Lovin' it. Recommended to those who are lacking their daily dose of horror.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Looked amateurish to me.

Nightmare House 2 is better imho.

It also includes a remake on the source episode 2 version of the engine of the very first Nightmare House - all in one pack.

In the recent years though can't stand anything that uses too many HL2 assets. It was the last mod of this kind I tried with enthusiasm. And it's a good one.

As a whole indie games like Knock-Knock do some horror stuff that everyone forgot HOW it's done apparently anymore. Which indeed is not easy.

Because action is easier than a powerful psychological experience. One coupled to a disturbing mood of something off, yet doesn't use cheap Doom 3 scare jumps.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Considering Cry of Fear is running on GoldSource, the graphics are really impressive. This game has an unique atmosphere, is quite stressful to play and overall a hit and miss experience (Some levels are outstanding, others are so terribly bad that you will be tempted to uninstall). Overall, it is one of the few "horror" games I enjoyed (NH2 is good, too), but there are some things that prevent it from reaching the level of other great fanprojects (horrible boss fights, especially the last one, so many crashes, backtracking), but if you like this genre, you should give it a try. I think a TDM mission catching the atmosphere of this game could work really well.

Edited by Cookie

Why strive for mediocrity when Silent Hill provides the prime example of excellence? Is not continuous perfection more preferable?

When a deed is commenced, better to have it done in the best way possible.

Good ambiance and scripts beats a good props filled and detailed environment with scare jumps for me any day.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Completed Cry of Fear now. I really liked the environments. They really nailed that Stockholm/skandinavian city feel quite well. Felt like home.

The game has 5 different endings, I hear, but I'm lt gonna bother to replay all the same content just to see a different end briefing.

Thanks for the tip, gonna check out that Nightmare House next. Silent Hill costs money, why pay when you can get your scares for free? ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks for the tip, gonna check out that Nightmare House next. Silent Hill costs money, why pay when you can get your scares for free? ;)

Silent Hill 1 and 2 are great and possibly the only ones anyone who's ever tried them, only ones they would recommend even for a non-gamer (person that would play at regular intervals of time).

They run on emulators as well and a copy shouldn't be too expensive either. I think the pain of getting through the controls is worth it on PC.

But, if you live in region where it's easy to get a PS 1, PS 2, even second hand... well the fuss is worth it for Silent Hill. It's not like Resident Evil where cheap voice acting and shambling zombies are main selling point. Though again, I think a release on PC was made, I just never found a copy.

If you want to hear more, nobody said it better than this (now deceased) person:

Because I don't want to continue stealing someone else's thoughts at the end of the day.

Update: For the purpose of not intimidating you, it's totally possible to play it on PC with an emulator. It's legal too.

The only thing to pay for is the copy of the product itself and download the appropriate software to play. Later you can assign the necessary key bindings.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson