The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ Games news

Bikerdude

Has anyone played this yet? http://store.steampowered.com/app/417290/Ghost_of_a_Tale/ Sneak/stealth game with quite a freaky setting. :) Looks interesting at least.

I played it a year ago or so - was early access back then and looked incredibly gorgeous with all the displacement mapping / tesselation on even the simplest of stones. Story and gameplay rock too. Also, breaking stealth is most often a death sentence in this game.

I liked the experience back then. My save games stopped working with the update. Looks like i will have start a fresh one after i'm done with Elex (wich's combat sucks early on but still offers a pretty and enjoyable experience - especially if you liked Gothic 1,2,3)...

Nice. :) Will buy it when it gets on sale then.

Regarding Elex: It didn't really "flash" me like the other Piranha Bytes games. There's something about the settings which is weird for me, that mixture between middle age fantasy and sci-fi isn't my thing really. I prefer "classic" settings like the ones in Gothic and the Risen parts. Or pure sci-fi.

• 3 weeks later...
Vampyr PC Requirements

MINIMUM:

• Processor: Intel Core i3-2130 (3.4 GHz)/AMD FX-4100 (3.6 GHz)
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 2 GB, GeForce GTX 660/Radeon R7 370
    • Storage: 20 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K (3.2 GHz)/AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (3.2 GHz)
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 4 GB, GeForce GTX 970/Radeon R9 390
    • Storage: 20 GB available space

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like that!

Well after about an hour's play I quite like the game -

• Good quality graphics and single player story telling, I'm not a fan of 3rd person but its not overly cumbersome
  • Very good and distinct voice acting, as its set in 1900's London you going to hear a lot of people who have the same accent as me :laugh:
  • The levelling up system look good, as does the interaction dialogue menus.
  • The forced animation is between certain points & tasks, but time will if it becomes annoying or liveable.
  • There is no jump or mantling, you can't jump over small objects <sigh>. This is a big no no in my book and it always f**king annoys me when game devs do this. :angry: But we do have supernatural skills that may negate this annoyance.

More play time tomoz.

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 2

Dying Light was indeed a nice game. The combination of horror (which I am usually not a big fan of) and parcour really provided a new kind of experience. Only downside was that it got a bit repetitve over time, like all open world games. I hope they get this part better in the second release.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Why do they have to speak with an slavic accent? This already ruined Metro for me. I mean, you play as an russian there, so why should you even recognize an accent as everyone around you is speaking your mother tongue? If I am speaking to someone in german (my mother tongue), I never think, "oh, this guy has a strong german accent". :(

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Wow, the amount of work in that first video is amazing, as amazing it is how it's hugely undermined by lack of knowledge on camerawork and shot composition... Still, that guy could easily work for biggest studios as environment artist.

And yeah, you'd think that the industry would be tired of that 80s action movie Russian mobster accent by now. Apparently not :/

Edited by Judith

Why do they have to speak with an slavic accent? This already ruined Metro for me. I mean, you play as an russian there, so why should you even recognize an accent as everyone around you is speaking your mother tongue? If I am speaking to someone in german (my mother tongue), I never think, "oh, this guy has a strong german accent". :(

The developer of Metro Exodus is 4A Games, wich has been founded in Ukraine. Maybe the accent is not on purpose but just because quality of dubbing is not deemed to be that important in slav cultures (and the Germans are probably the most picky when it comes to dubbing anyway).

The original undubbed version might provide a less accented experience. ;)

Cyberpunk reminds of Robocop.

Metro cheesy accents indeed make no sense. But othertimes people complained that Russians had great British accents in the ”Enemy at the Gates” movie about Stalingrad. And these things are carried on to video games too

Also Asians get the stereotypical accents often in media, so Russians are no exception.

I'd just make an educated guess to discount it all upon no networking and poor feedback on what the audience would want and the Russians not being very involved with their representation in the west due to bad diplomatic relations and such and such. So that won't change soon. But even if its Ukraine, decades of international isolation cause problems very similar to this, just like for Romania and other countries. Same as you would make North Korea free tomorrow. Lots of stuff gets lost in translation anyway especially idiomatic expressions and jokes and whatnot. Meanwhile people still don't see the irony of bad translations. The language in question is of little importance. Whether spoken or for deaf people:

https://youtu.be/kQ-6khNigBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEbhwa0E6hY&feature=youtu.be&t=1m2s

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson