The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ Games news

Bikerdude

It could be much easier: Most Russians just can't speak English properly. ;) No offense intended to anyone, it's just what i have experienced on the net. There are very few who speak good English really. Fair enough, i have no idea whether or not you learn English on school in Russia, or if it is optional, or something.

• Like 1

It could be much easier: Most Russians just can't speak English properly. ;) No offense intended to anyone, it's just what i have experienced on the net. There are very few who speak good English really. Fair enough, i have no idea whether or not you learn English on school in Russia, or if it is optional, or something.

TL:DR even if the language is learned, the culture and all kinds of idioms and inside jokes and cultural references are not understood. And vice versa, same with western people looking at Russia.

Very obvious point for GTA IV when they made Niko Bellic, and they made this huge reference to Brighton Beach as the place where eastern Europeans immigrants come and stay - but in spite of all that Rockstar Studios didn't have a single Russian in the team, had little idea of how to handle all this story and narrative-wise, though the voice actors for streets NPC's had proper expressions on the streets.

They confess this when they wanted to take a Russian actor - Mashkov as the voice for Niko Bellic. Mashkov played a bad guy in "Behind Enemy Lines". They even drew his face in GTA IV.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

@chakkman:

That isn't the point, dude. In Metro, for example, you play as Artjom, who is a russian himself. So your character is russian, everyone around you is russian, the whole thing takes place in russia and everyone is speaking russian. You don't hear an accent when you are talking to someone else in the mother tongue both of you share.

The same goes for Stalker. Those guys are actually speaking russian, the translation is only for non-russian gamers to understand what's been said, similar to how movies are translated. In the latter the actors also don't get synchronized with a french accent if the movie is french or a japanese accent if the movie is japanese, that is just dumb nonsense.

Of course, an accent makes sense if an actor plays someone speaking a foreign language, but that is not the case here.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

If i had to guess then i would say that they want to sell you russian flair and atmosphere, and thought it'd be a good idea to transmit that through a russian accent. Same thing with Chekov in Star Trek.

In reality it more often than not feels like a cheap placeholder.

In that regard the famous scene in The Godfather with untraslated Italian is often praised because even without understanding it, you still get what's about to happen.

It maintains to that authenticity and the tension of the scene as close as possible.

But overall, indeed if you're dubbing a foreign movie, there shouldn't be accents when they are uncalled for, except where it's obvious that it makes senses story wise - Italians, Irish, Russians having their respective accents in the US as immigrants. Otherwise it's cheesy.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

fake british accents are the worst, seeing as the accents here change within a few miles, when something claims they are from somewhere then their accent doesn't match that somewhere then its a wtf! moment. Especially when they are used in games, so usually they get an american to do the voices in games for uk based games just so they don't drive away buyers for the game.

Edited by stumpy

If i had to guess then i would say that they want to sell you russian flair and atmosphere, and thought it'd be a good idea to transmit that through a russian accent. Same thing with Chekov in Star Trek.

But there is still a difference. Chekov is a slavik person in an I guess english speaking environment, so he will have an accent. That's a completely different situation and there the accent makes sense (even though it is a bit exaggarated, at least in the german version, never watched Star Trek in english).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone knows what's up with the GOG version of Thief Deadly Shadows? Did they fix the bugs where saves become randomly corrupt in the Wieldstrom Museum? https://www.gog.com/game/thief_3

I mean there is a function with www.gog.com/connect

but it's not included for Thief and... are there any differences between the Steam and GOG version?

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Anyone knows what's up with the GOG version of Thief Deadly Shadows? Did they fix the bugs where saves become randomly corrupt in the Wieldstrom Museum? https://www.gog.com/game/thief_3

Dunno. Never encountered that with my copy (it was on a Gamestar magazine DVD). I played it vanilla, and with the Thief 3 Gold patch. Both work fine, and i even have it installed right now, and played it not too long ago.

• Like 1

Orange cast -

They are running out of ideas. This one looks like a mixture of Dead Space and Mass Effect. Why does almost every game has to be some sort of RPG?

I wished some company would start once again with good old action adventures as they did back in the day...I still prefer games like Core Design's Tomb Raider or Crystal Dynamics' Soul Reaver.

I am not really interested in good visuals - I prefer good atmosphere, puzzles and mysterious stories with just short video sequences...and most of the new games do not provide for that.

• 5 weeks later...

A lot of this looks orchestrated, but even if it's half as good, it will be fine. And, if that was the embargoed press showcase, then I'm not surprised journos wet their pants seeing this. They'd be impressed by game that's 1/4th of this quality.

• 4 weeks later...