The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ Games news

Bikerdude

5 hours ago, revelator said:

guess someone will newer figure out the boat is about to sink VR has mostly been a massive flop

The data doesn't seem to support that.

monthly-connected-vr-headsets-steam-dece

• Like 1

could also be the result of the massively inflated prices on newer gfx cards we have experienced lately, still not possible to get an RX6800 in denmark which is anywhere near the retail price. Not that the idea is bad with VR i just think it needs to be a little more refined before it really catches on, then maybe the prices on them will fall to a reasonable stage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope we'll get more stalker memes

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/todd-howard-is-finally-ready-to-share-some-starfield-details/

https://wccftech.com/bethesda-todd-howard-on-leaving-playstation-behind-being-able-to-focus-will-make-for-better-games/

That API explanation sounds like BS. Both the Xbox and PS5 are x86 boxes with the same CPU and GPU cores at the end of the day. This ain't a Cell processor PS3.

I like Starfield because it is pushing TES VI's release further into the future.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

@STiFU You know what, I actually finished Control today, and you were right, it's not as bad as I thought. In general I found the combat boring in the long run, as enemies are bullet spongy and generic in look. Although maybe the scale is the problem, this building is enormous and enemies look like small figurines in comparison.

The best bits for me are the ambiance and level design. The latter is basically a metroidvania, and exploration is very rewarding. I wouldn't say the game is the im-sim, but it kinda hits these vibes sometimes. Also, writing fortunately gets better, Darling is a great character. Ex-director is basically Max Payne who did a career change, but it's always nice to hear (and see) Mr McCaffrey in another role. And the Threshold Kids show is just bloody fantastic :D

But all in all, the mechanics and some mission types are very AAA-gamey. Go kill X monsters here, Y monsters there, collect Z things there; these "alert" missions are taken straight out of a typical Ubisoft busywork simulator.

And a funny thing in general, at some point you get to talk with Dylan repeatedly, and one of his dreams is that this whole story is a videogame. That is of course a nod to the first Max Payne, but what one thing was very particular in that monologue.

"The whole thing was a video game. And it was fucking boring. But you couldn't stop playing it."

That's one of the best and most haunting summaries of the AAA industry I've ever heard. Still, it comes from AAA developers who are perhaps convinced that they managed to escape that description? I'm not so sure that they did.

Oh, and one more thing Control does brilliantly, and I wish more developers would do, is a quite nuanced Assist menu. You don't like shooting much or have injury that prevents you from playing fast-paced games? Or perhaps you just want to enjoy the story? Sure, here's faster recharging for energy and ammo. If that's not enough for you, sure, here are one-shot kills. Still having trouble? Just make yourself invincible and have fun exploring. Now this is how a modern AAAccessiblility should look like. I hope more developers will take notice.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:57 PM, peter_spy said:

@STiFU You know what, I actually finished Control today, and you were right, it's not as bad as I thought. In general I found the combat boring in the long run, as enemies are bullet spongy and generic in look. Although maybe the scale is the problem, this building is enormous and enemies look like small figurines in comparison.

The best bits for me are the ambiance and level design. The latter is basically a metroidvania, and exploration is very rewarding. I wouldn't say the game is the im-sim, but it kinda hits these vibes sometimes. Also, writing fortunately gets better, Darling is a great character. Ex-director is basically Max Payne who did a career change, but it's always nice to hear (and see) Mr McCaffrey in another role. And the Threshold Kids show is just bloody fantastic :D

But all in all, the mechanics and some mission types are very AAA-gamey. Go kill X monsters here, Y monsters there, collect Z things there; these "alert" missions are taken straight out of a typical Ubisoft busywork simulator.

And a funny thing in general, at some point you get to talk with Dylan repeatedly, and one of his dreams is that this whole story is a videogame. That is of course a nod to the first Max Payne, but what one thing was very particular in that monologue.

"The whole thing was a video game. And it was fucking boring. But you couldn't stop playing it."

That's one of the best and most haunting summaries of the AAA industry I've ever heard. Still, it comes from AAA developers who are perhaps convinced that they managed to escape that description? I'm not so sure that they did.

Oh, and one more thing Control does brilliantly, and I wish more developers would do, is a quite nuanced Assist menu. You don't like shooting much or have injury that prevents you from playing fast-paced games? Or perhaps you just want to enjoy the story? Sure, here's faster recharging for energy and ammo. If that's not enough for you, sure, here are one-shot kills. Still having trouble? Just make yourself invincible and have fun exploring. Now this is how a modern AAAccessiblility should look like. I hope more developers will take notice.

Gotta love that ashtray-laby moment with the soundtrack. Most astonishing part of the game!!! 🙂

I am glad you came around to it after all.

Oh yeah, sound design is also fantastic. I have no idea how they pulled it off in the Ashtray Maze, but the way music changes there is awesome, it's like the song was split in parts that overlap dynamically.

Similar goes for the regular combat music, the tempo gets faster when there are plenty of enemies around and it slows down when there are 1-2. No idea how they did it, but I'm pretty sure it's not a real-time effect, since that reduces audio quality quite much.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, revelator said:

add achivementz plz

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

15 hours ago, revelator said:

I don't know what else this will bring.

The origin to all these games was System Shock 2 - then there was the Bioshock series, then there was the Dead Space series, and finally there was Prey.

Somehow the whole topic with all these predecessors is worn out, and I certainly will not buy it; the orignal DS series is enough for me; it was terribly creepy and unmatched to this day.

original ds was quite ok though it did have a few  annoying bugs like mouse sensitivity, new one seems to be based on the frostbite engine so expect some heavy visuals. The original author glen schofield also has a project cooking with the callisto protocol which looks very promissing. What we can hope for is that they fix the clusterfuck that was ds3 and provide us with a decent ending instead of a cliffhanger.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, revelator said:

The original author glen schofield also has a project cooking with the callisto protocol which looks very promissing. What we can hope for is that they fix the clusterfuck that was ds3 and provide us with a decent ending instead of a cliffhanger.

Interesting, did not know that. However, looks like some sort of DS clone (the "health meter" on the neck of the character) and the story (as far as one can tell from the render video)? A certain fraction (scientists/military guys/business men/you name it) uses prisoners for something weird - not exactly innovative. However, let's look at the result. Would be great if they would turn it in some sort of stealth survival horror.

I agree with you on the ending of ds3 - they should have simply concluded the series with a decent ending - after all, one gets very exhausted fighting the apocalypse over and over again. The protagonists would have deserved it!  :)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, revelator said:

not much out on the callisto protocol yet, the redline video does however show a bit more of the gruesome than the official video, so no the guy you see is probably not the one we get to play :P

...I was just talking about "the character" in the video, not the player character. :)

However, I think you agree with me that the "health meter" on his neck looks very similar to Isaac's equivalent on his back?

21 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

Main inspiration for the DS was actually Resident Evil 4 and Event Horizon. Even the creators called it "RE in space" in interviews and documentaries.

From RE4 it only has the shoulder perspective and the direct attack without weapons. The rest is copied from SS2 and Bioshock (stasis, telekinesis, etc. - not to mention some story elements that had been adopted from SS2).

If I recall correctly, there are also reports online that say that it was originally intended to be marketed as SS3.

However, I agree with the Event Horizon argument, there is a certain section in the first segment with a gigantic swinging whatever that reminded me on that movie as well.

5 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

From RE4 it only has the shoulder perspective and the direct attack without weapons. The rest is copied from SS2 and Bioshock (stasis, telekinesis, etc. - not to mention some story elements that had been adopted from SS2).

That's just your interpretation, you said that ss2 was the origin of these games, while I'm just repeating what developers were saying about their inspirations in various documentaries.