The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ Games news

Bikerdude

What about Doom 3 crossed with Pokémon? No, don't leave yet - hear me out!

What if Pokémons were all crabs, and you went to one of their colonies, and they all started jumping onto corpses to form reanimating sub-colonies, and each crab had a special skill that they granted their colony? ...and so then you could grab those crabs off a wandering colony, and attach it to your gun instead, and use that crab's special skill when you shoot.

Here's a gameplay link:

3D Realms' Doom 3 Pokémon

Edited by Nort

Also Routine.

F-ing Routine.

I was one of those who saw that trailer back in the day, ten years ago or so, thought the Alien Isolation aestetic looked cool, and started waiting for it. I bookmarked the Routine subreddit for it, and saw it fall into a pit of despair, and saw people start claiming that the game never existed in the first place, and that it had all been a scam. It was basically a solo project, by a guy new to game development, it seemed, and his idea for the game didn't seem too thought-out either. ...but those graphics looked so plastic and 80:s retro and cool, and I like robots...

...and so the announcement came, for me (who stowed away that bookmark right before the few clues of development came in) completely out of the blue, and now everybody is shocked to learn that there really was a game, all along. I don't know if it will be a good game, but just that there was a game, is sort of amazing to me. I just want to caress the plastic frames of CRT monitors again...

Edited by Nort

I just watched the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase stream. I'm usually not a fan of such events, but, had to watch it because of Starfield. And, it was more than worth it... wow. Can only say that I'm deeply impressed (think I had my mouth open one or two times :)). I'm pretty sure I will pre-order the game when it's available. one of the few games I really can't wait for these days.

Edited by chakkman

Speaking of preordering:

I remember buying the alpha version of Minecraft, thinking it would be a brutal and mature dwarf mining experience, which would separate the men from the children.

I never upgraded it to its release version, and now I can't even play it anymore, because it ran on Javascript.

Minecraft really made me hate children forever, along with child supporters like Cursed who ran the Minecraft forums. Children should stay away from my internet.

9 hours ago, jaxa said:

Pre-ordering is bad and you should never do it.

Thanks daddy. ;)

And, regarding Cyberpunk, I really lol'd. How quickly things can turn from completely overhyping something to get completely butthurt over something. :P Crazy times. And that's not because companies are bad or pre-ordering is bad. It's because people are nuts. 

I recently played through the GTA Definitive Editions Trilogy, for example. Worst games ever, if you listen to the media and "fans". Interestingly, it was a great experience (because, frankly, the games were awesome back then, and they're still awesome), and I didn't have bigger issues playing all three games through as well.

If anything, "you never should" listen to what is said. With press being so keen on making a scandal out of everything, and people being so keen to buy into that.

I've seen enough of Starfield now that I know that it will be good. It's from Bethesda, whose games I like, it's a setting I like, and I very much like the gameplay that I saw now. No real unknown. I know that it'll be good.

Edited by chakkman

• 4 months later...

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

Witcher 3 free update

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

As far as I watched it's basically just a make ready for new consoles. If you're playing on pc already there's minor improvement only

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

33 minutes ago, SeriousToni said:

As far as I watched it's basically just a make ready for new consoles. If you're playing on pc already there's minor improvement only

It's free... I'm assuming forever for Witcher 3 owners (I bought it for $10 and haven't played lol).

It includes FSR 2 and DLSS support, so it could be genuinely useful for low-end systems that can't quite hit 60 FPS at the target resolution. I can find an example from the ETA Prime channel later.

https://videocardz.com/newz/the-witcher-3-next-gen-update-comes-with-amd-fsr-2-and-nvidia-dlss-support

• Like 1

badge?user=andarson

I just refunded The Callisto Protocol (pre-purchased it about a month ago). I'm sure it's quite a nice game, but, I didn't like the stuttering and the combat.  Might get it again when it's available for cheap, but, not right now. I still have to play through Dead Space 1 and 2, which is probably what I'll do instead.

What I can't understand once again though is how much the kiddos trash the game. Jeez, it's ridiculous in what hysterical times we live.

Edited by chakkman

It feels like it's every time a part of the game world loads. It's after cut scenes, and when you enter new areas. It's quite severe, so, yep, looks like no proper optimization (I'm sure they'll have that fixed in a few weeks). Spec requirements seem to be pretty high as well though. I didn't change the graphics settings, but, most of it was on medium, and, it dropped to 60 to 70 FPS in some places, playing in full HD with a RTX 3060 Ti, and a i5-11600K.

The game in general feels a bit hastily released. I also wasn't able to change the menu and ingame language into English, and there was a bug in the skin menu, where the character was doubled when you moved the camera around.

I must admit that I'm growing a bit tired of all those shiny graphics wonders that are being released these days. I wished they would rather go for better gameplay, polishing, and forget the photorealism. But, I'm probably completely antiquated in that thinking. For today's kids, only the visual WOW is important.

Really, your GPU's coolers are running full throttle, and for what really?

Edited by chakkman

As a space horror kind of game, it makes a decent case for realism and raytracing. Much like stealth games would be a great fit for raytracing, while it's just fluff in a racing game.

All I've heard about it is some of the hype in recent weeks, and some Wccftech dunking on Nvidia/AMD recommended specs. Didn't hear about any trashing of the game until you referenced it.

• 1 month later...

stuttering is gone it seems with the latest patches but yeah not a good first impression from an AAA title.

Played it to the end and im not totally convinced this was a good buy, story is way to short for the price tag the combat is repetitive to a fault, and the game is as linear as it comes (practically no places to explore). also the dodging mechanism is irking me by either not working at all or definatly being a hindrance when there are multiple enemies.

atleast it lays the groundwork for a sequel but i hope by then they have ironed out the gameplay bugs.

as for aesthetichs it looks gorgeous in 4k with HDR on well if you like the looks of blood guts and human remains splattered all over 😁.

• Thanks 1

ah so a bit like it is done in HZD ? yeah that makes sense :) not sure how big of a performance hit it would be to just do that for all games using that on PC (i suspect some gfx cards have better shader optimization routines so it might matter a bit there but by how much im not certain).