The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ Games news

Bikerdude

I just found out that a new Amnesia game is coming: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1944430/Amnesia_The_Bunker/

I really like their games, although I kinda hated Amnesia: Rebirth (I don't really need games which "immerse" me by breastfeeding children (yikes!)). Penumbra, Dark Descent and SOMA were great though, so, looking forward to this one.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chakkman said:

I just found out that a new Amnesia game is coming: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1944430/Amnesia_The_Bunker/

I really like their games, although I kinda hated Amnesia: Rebirth (I don't really need games which "immerse" me by breastfeeding children (yikes!)). Penumbra, Dark Descent and SOMA were great though, so, looking forward to this one.

I wish they would remake Amnesia: Justine and allow saving because it wasn't an expansion short enough to restrict such an option.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

as far as annoyances go with some of these games then dead space 2 getting stuck in a player kill qte event because you forgot to switch weapons... whoops.

call of cthulhu dark corners on some faster machines the escape sequence from the hotel in insmouth gets you killed because they break down the door before you can even get out of bed (granted many other bugs with this game but that one had me stumped).

• 1 month later...

Atari buys the studio working on System Shock Remake:

https://wccftech.com/atari-purchase-nightdive/

For those in the unknown - Nightdive is currently working on the upcoming System Shock Remake. The remake was supposed to release this month but was delayed into May earlier this month. In addition to arriving on PC, the remake will also be coming to PlayStation 4|5, Xbox One, and Series S|X. More details about the console versions will likely be shared soon.

The System Shock Remake was officially announced following several Kickstarter campaigns over the past few years. “System Shock has been a true labour of love and our goal has always been to deliver a game that is as close to perfect as we can make it,” said Stephen Kick, Founder and CEO of Nightdive Studios.

• Thanks 1

looking forward to trying it out :) on my second playthrough in SS2 now and im getting the hang of the interface and skills the map is not really helpfull though, you need pen and paper to mark places you need to go to. The map actually has a feature for setting named waypoints but the resolution is atrocious and damn hard to see on modern monitors so yeah... atleast my new build is smashing rumblers left and right 😅 and i went for some fun with neural restructuring (kinda like a be my friendly assasin and go kill that monster for me power hehe).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jaxa said:

Atari buys the studio working on System Shock Remake:

https://wccftech.com/atari-purchase-nightdive/

Interesting, although I'm not sure what to make of that. One of my favorite games (The Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena) was published by Atari, and, they don't even seem to care to keep the activation servers running much. Or remove/change the copy protection, which doesn't work at all on Windows 11.

I really hope that Nightdive delivers at the end of May... I'm not one of the shit storm crowd (it's absolutely horrible on the Steam forums...), but, 7 years of development is a long time, and delaying the release obviously has become a bit of a habit, to say the least.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://wccftech.com/system-shock-remake-is-officially-gold-final-system-requirements-confirmed/

Nightdive Studios and Plaion announced today that the System Shock remake is officially gold, making it nearly impossible for the long-awaited game to miss its May 30th release date on PC. The game will be available starting at 4 PM British Time on Steam, Epic Games Store, and GOG.

The publisher and developer also confirmed the final system requirements for System Shock.

Edited by jaxa

slight hyperbole here but this feels like a real blow to future game preservation and remaster prospects. the current Atari are the ones sitting on the Blood IP that had been uncooperative with Night Dive's remaster.

? not sure i understand nightdive relased blood on KEX or were you refering to the source code itself.

probably not going to run that flawlessly but this is what i get in superposition at 4k underclocked even.

card newer hits 60 degrees as you can see :) and it still manages to get allmost 60 fps minimum which is rather good when compared with similar cards.

the only game atm that really goads my current setup is the callisto protocol where i get around 45 fps at 4k with high settings, considering that this is on a 4970k devils canyon from around 2015 (same with the board) id say i manage ok.

the card had some rather nasty goo (and plenty off it) used as tim so i replaced it with kryonaut and the thermal pads have all been replaced with gelid pads. also discovered that gigabyte cheaped out a bit on cooling the ram as half of them did not even have thermal pads 😕 so i corrected that and it has been running really stable since.

hehe.thumb.jpg.1dc465043e18cfb9b1dfe28844157d51.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 9:31 PM, revelator said:

call of cthulhu dark corners on some faster machines the escape sequence from the hotel in insmouth gets you killed because they break down the door before you can even get out of bed (granted many other bugs with this game but that one had me stumped).

I remember having to use some mod/cheat to move my character till after the jump part in that sequence. Because if you failed the jump, you die and you have to rewatch the whole cutscene before getting up.

heh yeah i also had to use some cheats to get through some parts of the game, kinda a bummer since i suspect the game would have ended up great if they actually had the time to iron out the bugs. sadly they went bankrupt and the game only came out because one dev fixed it to a point where it was atleast playable.

currently blasting through starfield (well also buggy sigh...) pretty enjoyable when i actually get to play it, but it has a bug where the main window refuses to open (cant even force it via alt tab) it just sits in the tray and hovering the mouse over the icon shows the game playing so its not a crash. fixed it by (hold on your going to love this) setting compatibility with windows 8 🤣 yeah....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

kinda weird but i lost all compulsions for gaming... went back to building sleeper PC's as a hobby instead. heres my latest ->

20231209_095331.jpg

Lian Li PC-B25FB outfitted with an asus x99 deluxe mainboard, a 1080 ti gfx card, 32 gigs of G-Skill DDR4 ram. and a samsung 1tb nvme as well as two 2tb sata ssd's also from samsung.

probably the lightest PC i ever built... 750 watt corsair PSU and it weighs about the same as a good handbag 🤣.

cabby while 16 years old has some pretty good airflow to.

two 140mm fans up top two 120mm in front and one 140mm blowing out the back. The CPU cooler is a thermalright.  Perfect machine for old school lan parties because of the weight and it is plenty powerfull also with the 6900K cpu.

Oh its also full aluminium and has dampening mats on every free square inch 😄 so it is pretty silent to in fact i can barely hear it run hehe.

Cabby is also completely tool less all cards are held in place by spring loaded clamps even the PSU can be mounted without any tools.

pretty good condition for a 16 year old case to 😉