The Dark Mod Forums

Aren't Experience Points normally shown in rpg games?

Fidcal

I've been playing Fallout 4 since the start of June and it's bugging me that often hints and tips tell me I can gain so many xp (experience points) for this and that but they don't seem to be listed anywhere. I mean, I can see health points, action (endurance) points, strength, etc but no xp. Is that normal in rpg games? Googling around, nobody mentions it but there are tons of refs about how to get more and how much is in each level up and so on but never where the total is. I'd have thought it would be on the stats screen. I've even seen tips on the gamesave loading screens that some actions give temporary extra xp. What use is that? I mean, if you are close to levelling up and get some temporary xp, do you level up? What happens when the temporary xp time out and presumably are removed? How can you 'lose' experience anyway?

Oh, yeah, I'm playing on Playstation 4 so I can't go poking around any disk files to find my total xp.

Here's my best guess: against the level is a progress bar. Presumably that bar is the progress towards the next level. So in a sense maybe that represents xp? But why hide the numbers? I'd have thought xp defines your game progress more precisely than the level.

What do other rpg games do about showing xp?

I haven't played Fallout 4, so I have no reliable information, but have played many other RPGs... You are right, that the bar next to the level shows your progress towards the next level. Usually, you can hover above the progress bar to show something like "current XP/required XP", but without a mouse cursor, this won't be possible on the PS4. Can you select the progress bar, maybe? Like you would select an item in the inventory? This might show your current XP.

Regarding temporary extra XP, I would suppose that this refers to XP gain. So, for a limited duration you gain more XP per XP-worthy action. When the duration stops, you just get the usual amount. If I remember correctly, this was the case in Skyrim and Fallout 3, when you have slept in a bed and are "Well Rested". In some RPGs you can acutally "lose experience" (e.g. Dungeons and Dragons). There it is usually explained as a form of memory loss. But this is not possible in Fallout, as far as I know...

I've been playing Fallout 4 since the start of June and it's bugging me that often hints and tips tell me I can gain so many xp (experience points) for this and that but they don't seem to be listed anywhere. I mean, I can see health points, action (endurance) points, strength, etc but no xp. Is that normal in rpg games? Googling around, nobody mentions it but there are tons of refs about how to get more and how much is in each level up and so on but never where the total is. I'd have thought it would be on the stats screen. I've even seen tips on the gamesave loading screens that some actions give temporary extra xp. What use is that? I mean, if you are close to levelling up and get some temporary xp, do you level up? What happens when the temporary xp time out and presumably are removed? How can you 'lose' experience anyway?

Oh, yeah, I'm playing on Playstation 4 so I can't go poking around any disk files to find my total xp.

Here's my best guess: against the level is a progress bar. Presumably that bar is the progress towards the next level. So in a sense maybe that represents xp? But why hide the numbers? I'd have thought xp defines your game progress more precisely than the level.

What do other rpg games do about showing xp?

Fallout 4 just generally felt less like an RPG and more like a sandbox FPS, if that makes sense.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out they tucked XP somewhere in some menu you'd normally never think to find it, Bethesda is notorious for bad UI.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Okay, thanks all. Yes it does feel more of a shooter - though there is some fair sneakin' albeit the quests are not well designed for it. I mean, you can't avoid all the fighting.

Biker: yes that was one of the web pages I found before and I wondered where they got all the numbers from!

It's not a big deal but why do Bethseda refer to 'points' when you can never see them?

Still a really good game imo with an immersive storyline that progressed nicely, but now, after over 3 months playing, that story progress seems to have collapsed without any conclusion leaving just a vast sandbox to play in. At least I reckon there is a lot I've not yet 'experienced', points or not. :D