The Dark Mod Forums

Even AAA games have the same bugs we do...

Bikerdude

Oh, poorly aligned textures are quite common, also in AAA games. I have seen that a lot since I started working with DR and spent time aligning them myself. That is the curse when you tried mapping (even if you never finished a map): you start looking at games with other eyes and, consequently, tend to find more mistakes (of course mostly those you have already made yourself).

I have eagle eyes when it comes to z-fighting.

I remember it so well, I could probably run though a lot of classic games and take you straight to them.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I remember seeing a shelf in Thi4f that was sticking out from the wall, and models clipping into each other everywhere.

I once saw this Youtube video by a German Thief fan who showed a bug in the game where the archers would shoot themselves. At least, I think they were speaking German. It was one of the funniest things I ever saw. The player would strafe around the guard, then the guard would draw the arrow, damage himself, say something that sounded funny, and repeat the above.

This was in the old Thief games, and I have no idea how to trigger it. (Maybe its an exclusive bug in the German version?)

I tried to find the video again, but I couldn't.

Edited by kano

The thing is level designers and environment artists are on very tight schedules and work on many things at once, so errors and mistakes like that are bound to happen. Besides, a crushing majority of people will never notice most of that.

Some big devs just get it right though, like CD Projekt. Considering how large the game world was I hardly saw any graphicle issues & glitches.

Good catches, biker!

Not really, these were glaringly obvious and should have been spotted during alpha testing.

Probably the worst I can remember was in Thief2, the two Mask mansion missions (Casing the Joint and The Mask iirc).

They were split into 2 (evidently they hit something like the entity limit), but you could still get into the space of the other in each one. It's just that those areas were largely unfinished, with blocky brushwork and random items strewn about. Also worth saying T2 got pushed out early, so they did what they could with the constraints they had.

The two buggy things that stand out in my memory were, in the first, you could make it all the way to the final objective Mask room in the 2nd mission only to see an empty room. And in the 2nd, I recall backtracking down a mission-1 hallway and seeing a street lamp stuck halfway into the ground and a few other hovering objects. I think the mapper just wanted some light and grabbed the first thing, but it looked so wrong.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I remember seeing a shelf in Thi4f that was sticking out from the wall, and models clipping into each other everywhere.

The thing is level designers and environment artists are on very tight schedules and work on many things at once, so errors and mistakes like that are bound to happen. Besides, a crushing majority of people will never notice most of that.

I think the saddest thing is I have to point out to TDM levels as a strange case where largely, a year after release (still waiting on Smiling Catpurse to get a patch) it's largely flawless but the engine itself has some issues in terms of AI getting hung on things and the like (physics in particular).

And then I point out to my friends that shit somehow gets through multi-million dollar budget games too, anyway.

Honestly, though, comparing anything from Assassin's Creed to your guy's work is insulting to you....

But then again so is anything on Gamebryo...

Really, for something free, you guys do not get enough credit.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

This is too true. After gaming since 1986 I've watched how the "games industry" has developed and how over time it seems to be more about how to make more money whilst the true core of what gaming actually is seems to dwindle away sometimes. This is not always the case, but there is definitely an increase in linearity and "help me play this game" icons pointing you to what you need to do, follow the dotted line to the exit, "press A to complete the game" type thing.

I find it a little sad that because of the rush involved to meet tight deadlines, things get borked and patched later, but still never be as good or polished as they could have been if we didn't have "money" perhaps?

My Autoexec.cfg contains seta g_fov "65" and seta r_gamma "0.9" for a more immersive Dark Mod experience...

Always expert difficulty every time... all hail the Dark Mod mission authors!

"Hmm, 'tis too quiet... I should summon the minstrel."

I still remember the fun of trying to commit suicide in Thief 1. There was a bug where running and jumping would net you increasing speed, if you did it correctly. So you could run faster than the Quake guy once you mastered it. And in Thief 1, running into things at a high enough velocity would cause damage. So I would try and run/jump down the long halls in "The Sword" to try to smack into the wall as fast as I could and kill myself.

Then there was "NPC jumping", where leaning into another character and jumping would sometimes send you way up into the air and back twenty feet. You could use this one to get places you're not supposed to go.

Then there was this funny bit.

All of these are fixed in T2, and the fan-made patch for T1, though.