The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Down by the Riverside, by Dragofer (2016/09/25)

Dragofer

Fan Mission: Down by the Riverside, by Dragofer (2016/09/25)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

hi everyone

I really really enjoyed this mission: it was visually awesome (the boats interiors wow!) and the storytelling was refreshing and inmersive. I liked the dfferent areas (interiors/exteriors) and how the gameplay goes thru them.

I've would never realised that I should "put the captain's book in Johan's hands"...

(And again) Since english is not my native languaje, to follow the story was a bit difficult.
Long story short: Thanks and congratulations for this awesome mission!
  • Like 2

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Regarding the writing, it's been enjoyable to adopt stylistic elements from the works of authors of earlier centuries because I find they fit really well to this genre, but I agree that writing like this is not ideal considering TDM's international community and that non-native speakers are normally used to modern English. This is a point I've taken on board for my future missions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

TBH, i couldn't even get past the 2nd guard on the ship... no idea how to enter the room from the boiler room with the metal surface. The guard always sees or hear me, when i try to enter.

You can open the door just a bit so you can observe the guard without being seen, waiting until he goes to the far end of the room.

For actually getting past the guard you'd find it much easier to hide within the bunks along the walls.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Dragofer, I found a bug in one of the first rooms in the boat at the beginning of the first episode. Apparently the AI can see you through the wall due to a collision bug. Please see the video below and Grayman's comment on the matter:

https://youtu.be/O0VwCHxrnVE

@zergrush:

The problem in your videos has nothing to do with the visibility problem we've been discussing.

The func_statics shown in this image:

attachicon.gifnoClipModel.jpg

have no clip models, so when the AI is at the far end of the room, looking back in the player's direction, a test for visual occlusion fails, since there's no clip model to occlude the AI's LOS to the player's eyes (pink cube).

Result: he can see the player hiding up on the package.

So this is a map issue.

To check, I removed the no clip model designations and rebuilt the map. The AI comes all the way back to my side of the room and doesn't spot me until he has cleared the corner of the shelf I'm hiding behind.

Mischief managed.

P.S: A secondary request Any chance you can update the loader background images with higher resolution versions? As of the moment they're mighty pixelated.

Edited by zergrush

• 8 months later...

Good mission so far, but now I'm completely stuck.

I have found the key that opens 

Spoiler

The hatch in the basement of the second house in the mission, and I'm outside the house.  But now what?   There are o further clues as to what to do next.  I got sick of wandering around this area and looked at some of the hints, but that doesn't help, either.  I'm supposed to find the inheritance under a fern outside along the side of the house, but I have clicked and clicked and searched for over fifteen minutes and have found nothing anywhere outside the house.  Very frustrating

Is there another readable I should find?  Or could someone just tell me at least which 

Spoiler

side of the house I should search?

@Hagatha the clue is in

Spoiler

Johan's book where he describes his plan to sneak out and dig at a specific place. That place is:

Spoiler

If you go to stand near where the trapdoor is and look upon the house, you'll see the house has a 2nd floor here. This is where the Uncle and his wife sleep, more precisely in the right half. Directly beneath and at the wall is a fern, between 2 allotments, that's lit up by a dim shaft of moonlight. The soil beneath it can be frobbed.

I think I've hit a huge bug.

I found the key in the 

Spoiler

Church

And went back to the attic room.  I read the updated journal, and then frobbed the potion.  

I'm sent to an Arctic scene, with a ship.  As soon as that happens, I get the "Mission Complete"  message and the mission just...ends.

Is this a known issue and is there a way around it?

In that case I'd like to encourage you to hit the 'continue' button, as this is a 2-part campaign.

In this particular scenario there should really be a different text there than 'Mission Complete' to show without a shadow of a doubt that the story continues, but as far as I could find out it's not possible to specify texts for individual missions, so it's just the brief cutscene and the altered completion sound. I can probably come up with a more indicative solution for this.

Edited by Dragofer

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Apiai said:

Hello, crash to desktop with V3 and Dark Mod 2.07/32 (8079)

When exactly does the crash occur? When you start TDM, start the mission, after loading finishes etc.?

• Like 1

@Apiai I'd try deleting the FM from your darkmod/fms folder (the name is river), then redownloading the FM. If that doesn't work, I'd appreciate if you followed these instructions to create a memory dump and post a download link for it here. (Basically when you have the message "TheDarkMod.exe has stopped working" on your screen, open task manager, right-click the process of TheDarkMod.exe and click "Create Dump File".)

I've forgot to told you that in the first place I had river folder with river.pk4 inside, I've deleted river.pk4 and replaced it with river3.pk4. Maybe that's the problem. I'll delete the all folder and reinstall FM, if crash occurs again, I'm not sure to be able to create memory dump because TDM is crashing without showing dialog which says "TDM has stopped working"

I've deleted the river folder and reinstall FM with ingame downloader. It still crash during loading (about 30%), and no dialog box "TDM has stopped working".

I have DarkRadiant 2.8.0 installed, can I provide you infos with it ? Maybe I can try to open your map and make some checks (do I have to extract all .pk4 into a separate folder?)

Edited by Apiai

@Apiai I have no idea. @stgatilov, any idea how to diagnose a crash that doesn’t produce a “TheDarkMod.exe has stopped working.” message?

What can still be tried is to use TheDarkModx64.exe, or to update to the 2.08 beta, which is close to finished.

good news, the FM is working with 2.08 beta \o/

FYI I also have same kind of crash in 2.07 with "King of the Mountain" and "The Ravine" FMs, and both are working well with 2.08 beta. The problem seems to be more related to 2.07 version than your FM.

Here's the generated log file with 2.07

Darkmod.cfg qconsole.log

Edited by Apiai
test others FMs with 2.08
  • Like 1

Finished on expert, very nice double missions ! Works fine with 2.08, no critical bugs, just black lamps I've reported in V2.08 beta thread. I loved everything except the end that happens suddenly when jumping on the chandelier. I was expecting a clear conclusion, but maybe that's because I didn't get the story very well, as english is not my native langage.

• 3 months later...

What a wild ride! Gorgeous locations, with the mansion and the final ship(with the storm raging outside!) standing out for me, and an interesting story arc. Did not expect that when I went in.

The first final mission screen with the ship in the ice looks so nice I tried making an animated WP out of it (didn´t work out cause of the screen shake though). And I wonder if one could make a city mission with that horse drawn carriage driving around the streets?

Also, something has to be said for NPCs with spectacles, knocking them out looks hilarious!

https://streamable.com/lfdqi3

Which painter did the pieces you use for the mission screens?

Edited by blaa

51 minutes ago, blaa said:

The first final mission screen with the ship in the ice looks so nice I tried making an animated WP out of it (didn´t work out cause of the screen shake though). And I wonder if one could make a city mission with that horse drawn carriage driving around the streets?

Which painter did the pieces you use for the mission screens?

Thanks very much! For making the animated WP, there's an easy fix: create a folder called "maps" in darkmod/fms/river and put this modified script file inside it. This will take you straight to that scene after map start, this time lasting 30s and without triggering the speaker that shakes the screen.

Having a carriage driving around the city with people inside is possible, it'd just have to be 100% shielded from interference by the player, and it can only drive in a straight line. Getting AIs to get in and out is also possible, but no more than 2 and it's fiddly to setup.

For painters, I used:
John Atkinson Grimshaw for English countryside & manor settings
Ivan Aivazovsky for ship & coastal paintings
William Bradford for arctic artwork

43 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Thanks very much! For making the animated WP, there's an easy fix: create a folder called "maps" in darkmod/fms/river and put this modified script file inside it. This will take you straight to that scene after map start, this time lasting 30s and without triggering the speaker that shakes the screen.

Just looked at the wiki page for Ivan Aivazovsky. Seen some of them before but never had a name. Incredible stuff.

And thanks for the script, works perfectly. If you use smth like Wallpaper Engine you can just capture a mp4 with shadowplay and use it as desktop background. Looks really cool. The transition isn´t perfect yet though.

https://streamable.com/r91fqw

Edited by blaa

• 2 years later...

I'm noticing wavy blotches around all/most objects when they are in front of the water: blackjack, ropes, etc.

What's going on here? Is it supposed to be that way, or is a shader or something else applying to more than it should?

I've attached a screenshot where the effect can be seen (top) and the effect highlighted (bottom).

river_3ce0aff5f128c552 (2023-01-17 12-28-51) (-2875.64 -1905.31 -305.38) edited.jpg