The Dark Mod Forums

Schatten's Pile Of Ambients

Schatten

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morrgan asked me for some ambients for her new mission. Here are the high quality versions of the two I made so far:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/audio/amb...mb_spectral.ogg

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/audio/amb...mb_sleeping.ogg

Again, if anybody thinks they shouldn't be used for the mod because they were released earlier in low quality, say so.

I'll ask Morrgan to include a link to the DarkMod website in the FM readme, so people will know where to expect more of those ambients. :)

Dram: I'll see if I can make it loop.

I didn't use that smilie!!!

...and I'm totaly not getting what you are trying to say, ascottk. Sorry, it's late, I'm a bit tipsy and my brain has switched to lurk mode in which it denies to compute anything more sublime than a brick into the face.

Anyone know where I can get a really good set of comprehensive Doom3ED Tutorials, something that doesn't waffle, but gets all the necessary points across (preferably without spending an hour on style)? I feel like learning a new engine.

I saw vigil lurking in the t3ed forum & here's the quote from ProjectX. I know it's off-topic but you brought up possible recruits & by coincidence, ProjectX wanted some tuts for D3.

Hey Schatt, downloading the files now. I'm sure they're great as always.

On a general note, I synced with the mod earlier so I should be able to upload a bunch of ambients and stuff that has been lying around for far too long. Sorry about that.

(Totally forgot about our :) cruscade Schatt, gotta get back to that someday)

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/audio/amb...mb_whispers.ogg

'nother one. If you think looping PCM wavs is hard try looping IMA ADPCM wavs without pop. It's a fucking nightmare, that's what it is. I figured out it depends on the file size somehow, I even tried to hexedit the bastard to get that MOTHERFUCKING POP OUT!! Gah!

Sorry, needed to vent..

Anime chick mode... ON.

SQUEEEEEEEE! :wub::wub::wub:

Anime chick mode... OFF.

Seriously, that's fucking awesome. I have the perfect place to use that in one of the levels I've been thinking about. I'm getting an uneasy feeling of dread in my stomach just sitting here typing this, listening to it... AAAHHH I want to make my map now. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

When I've messed around with audio (just a little, so I'm by no means trying to tell an expert), and had to get rid of pops or noises (e.g., the torch flame normalization I tried) I just brute-force it - in Goldwave, select around the pop (visible as a nasty peak in the waveform) and just chop it the fuck out. Have you tried anything that simplistic?

When I've messed around with audio (just a little, so I'm by no means trying to tell an expert), and had to get rid of pops or noises (e.g., the torch flame normalization I tried) I just brute-force it - in Goldwave, select around the pop (visible as a nasty peak in the waveform) and just chop it the fuck out. Have you tried anything that simplistic?

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. (This is for the Thief2 FM versions of these ambients, btw). For one, I don't have an editor that can edit IMA ADPCM waves directly, so I edit the waveform in PCM. Second, if I had an editor and would view the waveform in the editor, the pop would not be visible - never mind that though, because I know it occurs when the wave loops. The loop is seamless, I checked the hexadecimal values for the compressed file.

My guess is that the pop is a problem with the decoder, similar to how DivX only can encode videos of certain screen formats. When the file is not with in a certain byte resolution, it happens. However, I didn't find anything to justify that theory yet.

Schatten-

Very cool stuff! I like them both and could easily see them in a Thief mission. Nice production!

Eerily enough the "whispers" one reminds me of a piece I did for a production of "Hamlet" a while back.

hamlet_1.1_ghost_scene.mp3 - I used lines from "Hamlet" as the backdrop - I think about 15 tracks of voices.

For the looping/popping problem, do you have audio software that will let you forssfade the endings? You can paste another copy of the original track and crossfade between the front and the back of the audio file, then edit that much time out of the front of the wave. That usually works for me.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Thanks Sax, but as I said, I know the loop is seamless. The pop isn't in the actual waveform - it's created either by the encoding or decoding to IMA ADPCM. Maybe I just need better codecs.

15 tracks, wow... I maybe used 5 or so. Good ol' reversed echo. :)

Your whispers are better filtered though, I need to work on that.

Ok, here's a new one that might be a bit too melodious for an ambient, but maybe it's usable for a cutscene or so:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/audio/amb...mb_nocturne.ogg

Disclaimer: I am not Chopin :/

Edit: Made a Musicbox version

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/audio/amb...ne_musicbox.ogg

Disclaimer: I am not Chopin :/

Schat, my dear friend, none of us are Chopin. Nor will any of us ever be..... But lucikly we don't have to be and you do awesome work, so keep it up! I only wish I had 1/100th the talent that good ol' "Fred" Chopin had!

I really like the nocturne piece. It probably actually has too much melody for a Thief level (not a bad thing, it's just hard to balance between being a composer and doing a soundscape! I love the texture of it all!) but it's awesome. It sounds like it should be in a horror movie.

I love the music box version complete with music box sounds! Excellent work, Schat.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

I can see this used as the player finally reaches his destination, a huge cavernous room, empty except for dusty columns and light trickling into it from above; the kind of room which causes you to walk in a few steps and stop, then slowly turn, just taking it in. It's excellent!

We don't say it enough (it's easy to forget ambient is sitting there in the library, just waiting to be used, especially when you're making test maps) but you (and all of you sound guys) definitely inspire, you should never have concern of that. ^_^