The Dark Mod Forums

US presidential election

Sotha

You may be right, but in what sense is Trump NOT an "elite" as well?? He's an arrogant billionaire from New York who lives in a house of gold. Do they seriously think he gives a shit about the lower middle class?

Trump is part of the *economical* elite, not *political* elite. He was completely shunned by the *political* elite (both democrats and republicans!). So it looks like, that the people wanted to bash the *political* elite but not the *economical* elite.

That is assuming the masses functioned in a logical fashion. It could be that they voted for Trump just because he is a TrueTV character they are familiar with from their evening videoshows, or because he shouted the harshest and loudest.

@Esme

But I never actually feared for my life and the lives of everyone I love before today.

And I am utterly helpless to do anything about it.

I'm more scared of our ally with Trump at the helm than I am of our enemies.

Why exactly are you scared? I ask because I am trying to gauge how terrified I should be because of this....

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Why stay in this mediocre speculative obscurity?

The replics of Trump and Clinton left an impression of civilized people that can leave their pride behind and look straight towards building a better country. Everything will be ok I hope.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

There can't be a debate yet, at least on this particular topic, since you haven't actually explained your position.

You still haven't told me in what way you find Trudeau "ridiculous". Should I just stop asking?

Your original claim was "I don't feel as though the president will be worse than Trudeau." His high approval rating (nearly double that of either US candidate) is a data point against that claim. You have yet to explain any other reason why your claim might be justified.

The term I'm applying here is "ridiculous", because every time he does something it makes me laugh since he does it in such a confident and often passive aggressive way.

I'm not really used to seeing that.

Now it looks like we get to see if a Trump presidency can astound me anymore in characterization than that.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Apparently Clinton got more votes than Trump.

Irrelevant for the system. C'est la vie.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

It's really good.

Though apparently urbanisation is irreversible in the closest decades.

badge?user=andarson

Irrelevant for the system. C'est la vie.

It's not irrelevant that the man who won not only didn't get half of all votes, but got less votes than the opponent. He should be reminded of it every time he comes up with a stupid idea.

It's only a model...

The term I'm applying here is "ridiculous", because every time he does something it makes me laugh since he does it in such a confident and often passive aggressive way.

I'm going to give up on asking now, but I just want to point out that you still didn't provide any actual examples of things he did or said that would lead to this conclusion. All you did was add extra adjectives to the claim.

"Ridiculous" = "confident"??

who is the vice president going to be, there is a chance that Donald Trump wont last longer than 2 years, due to the fact he has no idea how politics actually work and he has the same problem with germs as Howard Robard Hughes Jr. all that hand shaking.

• Like 1

I'm going to give up on asking now, but I just want to point out that you still didn't provide any actual examples of things he did or said that would lead to this conclusion. All you did was add extra adjectives to the claim.

"Ridiculous" = "confident"??

I mean, if you expect any one specific quote I don't really have one. It genuinely is more of a "how he carries himself" affair, his age and his political affiliation, it just ends up being something I'm not used to.

Thankfully, my opinion in this case doesn't really matter, as I'm not Canadian.

Are you ready to reevaluate your flawed opinion of Cracked? Or of Trump, for that matter?

/trollface

Never said I supported or disliked Trump.

That said I tend to not enjoy websites that change target demographics as hard as Cracked did.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

@Springheel, of course he's an elite.

The fun (?) aspect is the fact that his massive theatrical vulgarity overshadows his - otherwise obvious - elite position......Donald one of us!!!!111111

Yeah, sure.....

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I lived through the Reagan presidency & both the Bush presidencies, I was a child during the Cuban missile crisis, I witnessed the second plane hit the world trade centre on 9/11 via TV & I saw America's reaction, I've seen my share of scary terrorist shit within the borders of my own country, even been quite close to some of it.

But I never actually feared for my life and the lives of everyone I love before today.

This is just a bunch of fear mongering and hyperbole - Trump may be racist and sexist and a bunch of other things, but he's just a man. And he's not Hitler. The American system of government only gives so much power to one person, it's called checks and balances. He may pass some bad laws into effect, and enact some questionable policies, but worrying about your immediate personal safety is going a bit over the top.

And no, I know what you're thinking - but I voted for Hillary.

After what we've been through with Iraq and the Middle East, there's no way Congress is ever going to approve of any kind of war without being an extreme situation.

Edited by brethren
  • Like 1

I like the quantum-like schizotypal shameless attitude of this guy. It reminds me of Cave Johnson.....oh wait, Cave Johnson IS modeled around Trump.

cave-johnson.jpg

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

After what we've been through with Iraq and the Middle East, there's no way Congress is ever going to approve of any kind of war without being an extreme situation.

Don't bet on that. Many of my military friends perceive Obama dropping the ball in Iraq by pulling out and creating ISIS and are itching to go back and finish the job. This type of demographic just elected the guy over the same kind of "but people are reasonable" expectations you're appealing to on a congressional vote.

People said don't exaggerate the threat when W was elected and he started 2 wars, a torture program, and a vast secret surveillance program not even 2 years in office.

Trump will be worse than W.

There's good reason to not shy away from expecting the worst.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Trump campaigned on the idea that further intervention in the Middle East is "wasteful spending".

(Sorta the Ron Paul school of thought.)

No?

Yes, he postured about how much we look like wusses to the world and how we should do things to ensure that the world knows "we mean business"

but he was mostly talking about speculative military scenarios in a debate setting rather than any actual plans to provoke further conflict. As I recall.

Do you think he'll change his stance in the face of pressure from the GOP and Military Industrial Complex?

The big question mark I see is that Netanyahu thinks Trump will give him carte blanche to abandon the "two state solution" which would almost

certainly spark some larger conflict.

Hard to tell though, US policy has tacitly been appeasing Israel's erosion of the two-state process in plain sight without that much direct retaliation.

If the Saudi's are funding terrorists as a sort of soft retaliation to that behavior, wouldn't they just carry on doing so to a slightly greater degree?

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The big question mark I see is that Netanyahu thinks Trump will give him carte blanche to abandon the "two state solution" which would almost

certainly spark some larger conflict.

And NK.

About Palestine there's a third shadow player, the Iran: enemy of Israel and enemy of Saudi

Why am I scared?

Well one reason is a narcissistic, egotistical, grudge bearing, man baby, with poor decision making skills and a history of making other people pay for his fuck ups has just been given the keys to one of the biggest nuclear arsenals on the planet and he's shown no reluctance about using them either to intimidate or if that fails in reality, when questioned prior to the election.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, if the US is involved in a conflict, and when are they ever not, and someone attacks America, the President can order a nuclear strike as retaliation without recourse to congress, the system is set up so that the Secretary of Defense has to verify the order came from the actual president, but beyond that they cannot stop it or veto it. If the SOD refuses to verify the order their next in command will do so & so on until someone says eventually "yes the president authorised a launch", this is the two man system. The details of what constitutes attacking America are a little fuzzy on my reading, but in a conflict pretty much anything is an attack, once the first missile is launched others will follow, even though the cold war ended years ago we still have the capability and operate under the assumption of MAD. If he only launches one that would be enough to trigger responses from other countries. So YAY the nuclear war bargaining chip has just been put firmly back on the table, please advance the clock, it's currently at 3 minutes and it hasn't been updated for a while I suspect it may be soon.

If he wants something, and Trump wants a lot, he is not above using lies, threats and force to get them, his election campaign proved that, he's not a diplomat, he's a two year old in a man's body and he's just been made the most powerful person on the planet.

And then of course there's the world economy, Trump has a long history of running up huge debts, declaring bankruptcy and walking away from them leaving others to pick up the tab, or he orders work to be done supplies to be delivered & used then he doesn't pay, What influence will that have on the US economy and why will other countries want to trade with a country who has a man who doesn't pay his debts in charge? so we'll all suffer because of that. Of course our Brexit team think this is wonderful news and are gaily skipping across the pond to try and open trade negotiations with a man who's first, last and only thought is "What's in it for me", I suspect they will achieve a trade deal and we'll all pay for it because while it will be the best they can get it will be pretty fucking awful for us.

And then we have the rise of the right wing, Brexit was bad enough when every racist, xenophobic, homophobic, misogynistic, ableist arsehole in the UK suddenly felt like their time had come and they could go out and kick some heads in with impunity. Well making Trump President will have the same effect in the US and give the UK arseholes a shot in the arm they really don't fucking need. All their dreams have come true and anyone with a brown skin, foreign sounding name or accent, looks a bit funny, happens to love someone of the same sex, is female or has a disability is fair game. Not to mention the right wingers on the continent, Marine Le Pen wants to be president of France and the rising tide of the right just might give it to her, in which case I have no idea what our future will hold but it won't be pleasant.

And then we have climate change, Trump is appointing a climate change sceptic to lead the EPA and regards climate change as a work of fiction designed to deprive rich people of a means of making more money. The scientific community think by the time Trump leaves office the effects will be irreversible and catastrophic. I suppose he can build a wall around the US to keep the water at bay though he'll have a tough time making the fish pay for it.

So call it fear mongering if you like, but I'm fucking scared and until he ceases to be president I'm going to remain scared.

Anyone who wants to nitpick & find flaw with these arguments, you knock yourself out, enjoy, it won't change my views at all, the world is turning into a place I don't want to live in and President Trump is a giant fucking leap down the path.

Edited by esme
  • Like 2

Why am I scared?

Well one reason is a narcissistic, egotistical, grudge bearing, man baby, with poor decision making skills and a history of making other people pay for his fuck ups has just been given the keys to one of the biggest nuclear arsenals on the planet and he's shown no reluctance about using them either to intimidate or if that fails in reality, when questioned prior to the election.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, if the US is involved in a conflict, and when are they ever not, and someone attacks America, the President can order a nuclear strike as retaliation without recourse to congress, the system is set up so that the Secretary of Defense has to verify the order came from the actual president, but beyond that they cannot stop it or veto it. If the SOD refuses to verify the order their next in command will do so & so on until someone says eventually "yes the president authorised a launch", this is the two man system. The details of what constitutes attacking America are a little fuzzy on my reading, but in a conflict pretty much anything is an attack, once the first missile is launched others will follow, even though the cold war ended years ago we still have the capability and operate under the assumption of MAD. If he only launches one that would be enough to trigger responses from other countries. So YAY the nuclear war bargaining chip has just been put firmly back on the table, please advance the clock, it's currently at 3 minutes and it hasn't been updated for a while I suspect it may be soon.

If he wants something, and Trump wants a lot, he is not above using lies, threats and force to get them, his election campaign proved that, he's not a diplomat, he's a two year old in a man's body and he's just been made the most powerful person on the planet.

And then of course there's the world economy, Trump has a long history of running up huge debts, declaring bankruptcy and walking away from them leaving others to pick up the tab, or he orders work to be done supplies to be delivered & used then he doesn't pay, What influence will that have on the US economy and why will other countries want to trade with a country who has a man who doesn't pay his debts in charge, so we'll all suffer because of that. Of course our Brexit team think this is wonderful news and are gaily skipping across the pond to try and open trade negotiations with a man who's first, last and only thought is "What's in it for me", I suspect they will achieve a trade deal and we'll all pay for it because while it will be the best they can get it will be pretty fucking awful for us.

And then we have the rise of the right wing, Brexit was bad enough when every racist, xenophobic, homophobic, misogynistic, ableist arsehole in the UK suddenly felt like their time had come and they could go out and kick some heads in with impunity. Well making Trump President will have the same effect in the US and give the UK arseholes a shot in the arm they really don't fucking need. All their dreams have come true and anyone with a brown skin, foreign sounding name or accent, looks a bit funny, happens to love someone of the same sex, is female or has a disability is fair game. Not to mention the right wingers on the continent, Marine Le Pen wants to be president of France and the rising tide of the right just might give it to her, in which case I have no idea what our future will hold but it won't be pleasant.

And then we have climate change, Trump is appointing a climate change sceptic to lead the EPA and regards climate change as a work of fiction designed to deprive rich people of a means of making more money. The scientific community think by the time Trump leaves office the effects will be irreversible and catastrophic. I suppose he can build a wall around the US to keep the water at bay though he'll have a tough time making the fish pay for it.

So call it fear mongering if you like, but I'm fucking scared and until he ceases to be president I'm going to remain scared.

Anyone who wants to nitpick & find flaw with these arguments, you knock yourself out, enjoy, it won't change my views at all, the world is turning into a place I don't want to live in and President Trump is a giant fucking leap down the path.

I'm not about to agree or disagree on any of this, I'm just going to point out this is why World War 3 with Russia being a potential result of voting for Hillary was a major failing of her campaign in terms of public perception.

It caused this entire aspect of Trump, the nuke button, to suddenly vanish as a potential argument when compared to having incredibly bad relations with the standing president of Russia.

It's not irrelevant that the man who won not only didn't get half of all votes, but got less votes than the opponent. He should be reminded of it every time he comes up with a stupid idea.

The system is at it is. We cannot question it or put the results to doubt about their accuracy. Otherwise democracy means nothing.

I'm not about to agree or disagree on any of this, I'm just going to point out this is why World War 3 with Russia being a potential result of voting for Hillary was a major failing of her campaign in terms of public perception.

It caused this entire aspect of Trump, the nuke button, to suddenly vanish as a potential argument when compared to having incredibly bad relations with the standing president of Russia.

I hope the Trump we saw after elections stays this way and the russians are way off in trying to appease the new president, considering he's not just republican but his whole entourage, his whole team has a record of anti-russian, anti-putinist sentiments.

Maybe Trump will be the most anti-russian president in the last 20 years after Reagan?

We thought things improved with Yeltsin and Clinton - but that was plainly an illusion in anticipation of the millenium and various science fiction, doomsday, predictions.

badge?user=andarson

You're correct and Donald plays nice with Putin but.....is this equilibrium stable?