The Dark Mod Forums

Skyrim Based DarkMod?

sajjad7

Hi taffers,

Firstly thanks for the MOD, its not Thief but its awesome! I'm using it for about 3 years and its absolutely better than the NuTr4sh!

Recently, I came into a mod for Skyrim named "Realistic AI Detection (better sneaking) at Skyrim ".

By considering the huge potential of modding in Skyrim, and especially, by releasing the Skyrim SE with its considerable texture quality, gameplay mechs, physics and so on (I did not play the SE, yet):

Is this possible to see TheDarkMod in the next gen? :ph34r:

Hi taffers,

Firstly thanks for the MOD, its not Thief but its awesome! I'm using it for about 3 years and its absolutely better than the NuTr4sh!

Recently, I came into a mod for Skyrim named "Realistic AI Detection (better sneaking) at Skyrim ".

By considering the huge potential of modding in Skyrim, and especially, by releasing the Skyrim SE with its considerable texture quality, gameplay mechs, physics and so on (I did not play the SE, yet):

No, switching a game engine is not that simple. It would pretty much be tossing everything out and starting over. Different engine, different code base. Switching engines early in development is dangerous, doing it after 10+ years of development...oy. haha

Edited by Bikerdude
had reply inside quote
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I read that the same way.

Are we discussing an improvement to the AI in TDM to match the behavior in Skyrim stealth with the "Realistic AI Detection" mod enabled?

Our algorithm has some resemblance to what's there with light and sound attenuation and biases that all affect AI alertness.

If you can point to a place where the Skyrim mod is sufficiently better than TDM then perhaps there's a route to improve things.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If you use it with this mod, you might be on to something.

Sneak Tools for Skyrim

Wow.

Such a shame I missed it.

No, switching a game engine is not that simple. It would pretty much be tossing everything out and starting over. Different engine, different code base. Switching engines early in development is dangerous, doing it after 10+ years of development...oy. haha

Yeah, of course. you are right and its not that easy.

And I'm not saying that to do right now!

I was trying to mention that with huge potential and community of modding in skyrim and of course for stealth, it would be so nice to see DarkMod in a new dress. Its not impossible.

Is it not worth considering?

#Ideas

Are we discussing an improvement to the AI in TDM to match the behavior in Skyrim stealth with the "Realistic AI Detection" mod enabled?

Actually we are discussing that is it possible to see DarkMod in next gen, someday? Consider remastering of DarkMod or some

I was trying to mention that with huge potential and community of modding in skyrim and of course for stealth, it would be so nice to see DarkMod in a new dress. Its not impossible.

#Ideas

Changing engines would not be "DarkMod in a new dress".

What you are suggesting is the equivalent of: "Hey, you know that 3 story house you built by hand, that you painted, furnished, added extensions to, and have been living in for the past ten years? There's this other house down the street that has a nicer lawn and a better location--why don't you tear it down and rebuild it so that it's a replica of the house you have now?

Is it not worth considering?

Why aren't you pitching it to Skyrim modders?

• Like 1

Well, Skyrim's engine isn't really next-gen. The game does not feature PBR materials, global illumination or advanced shaders that are the current tech standards in game engines.

Porting any game or mod to this already a bit outdated engine would be a really strange choice.

• Like 1

As I'm not a expert in modding (or dev), its not well known for me the exact migration process.

Thanks for all the replies :smile:

Well, Skyrim's engine isn't really next-gen. The game does not feature PBR materials, global illumination or advanced shaders that are the current tech standards in game engines.

Porting any game or mod to this already a bit outdated engine would be a really strange choice.

Thanks bro

Very well explained <3

Why aren't you pitching it to Skyrim modders?

You just wont ask some petty thieves to do a bank heist.

The Dark Mod is open source.

That means that it can be advanced to have capabilities beyond Skyrim or any of the latest engines.

The limit is only up to who contributes code improvements.

Example:

https://github.com/eXistence/fhDOOM

Going to a closed-source commercial engine would mean you would be stuck with the technology level of that engine.

Now, if you want TDM HD with higher resolution textures and models, that is already possible but would take a ton of work.

We are only now getting to the point where larger missions like Crucible of Omen: Behind Closed Doors or

Lords and Legacy runs reasonably well for most of the player base. If you boost all the requirements due to all these improvements

we are back to smaller missions like Return to the City being barely playable for most users.

All that said, TDM has had gradual or even drastic asset improvements from it's demo release until now. Over time we may yet see

more of the low-poly models and low-detail textures all replaced with improved versions. (Depending on either outside contributors or

internal developer motivations of course.) That, along with the march of technology and code improvements to the project should

allow TDM to continue to offer better and better experiences.

• Like 4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah pursue the Skyrim modders and see if they can come up with something unique and I still play style and then everyone here can have another game to play besides the dark mod.

to be honest i like the dark mod that way with the current graphics as i have an old rig.it just needs a little bit of improvements but nothing serious + idtech4 is open source so it's better that way and thedarkmod's Ai is really good and can even spot you from a long distance or even looking back while trying to sneak just like in reality

You could use our textures, sounds, and assets, and fiction in a Skyrim mod.

So you could build Bridgeport or some of your favorite sites from FMs in Skyrim.

It'd be a ton of work for Skyrim modders to do, but unlike a commercial game with copyright, we're not adverse to that.

If you're talking about gameplay features, yeah, ask Skyrim modders if they're interested.

Stealth involves really complicated code though, so it'd be a monster task for them.

I really like our stealth code though. It's a great resource for coders to learn from if they want to make their own stealth game.

We're busy enough maintaining our own code.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I was wondering when this question would come up again. :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Stealth involves really complicated code though, so it'd be a monster task for them.

I really like our stealth code though.

That's why we are here.

Going to a closed-source commercial engine would mean you would be stuck with the technology level of that engine.

The most convincing one. <3

Thanks for the replies,

Actually I think, for all of us, the most priority is the gameplay, the HD texture or etc. would be nice but it truly is not a concern.

And as the dark mod is the most vivid imagination of our beloved franchise, I'm sure we will do our best to keep it alive and improve it.

"If you won’t make it, we will".

For what it's worth, sophisticated perception and search systems for the Skyrim AI--what we're really talking about here--would be awesome to see, since you already have the world set up. So good luck with it. Think in terms of graded states & their transitions.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.