The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex mod - like Dark mod is to Thief?

tefdal

That's one good-looking map.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

contacted (and asked for permission/sourcefiles) him.

I also created a projectlocation (for sharing files, site, etc).

If there if someone out there wo are willing to help with our experiment, please pm me.

And found/added some ambient music (and his sourcecode, under a creative commons license) to the briefing.

Love the design from d3-map "Genetic".

And those office-assets from prometheus looks nice.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I made a cyberpunk lightgem.
I haven't looked at it in a while, but I recall there's still something a little buggy with it, like the sides need to be shorter maybe.

But I think it's like 98% finished, only a few little tweaks left, if anyone can figure out the last bit.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/scifilightgem

You drop the lightgem folder somewhere in your FM pk4 and it just replaces the normal one.

I'm sure it goes in some nest of subfolders, I'll need to look it up.

But I imagine someone can figure it out before I have time after work and can just post it here, then I'll edit it into this post.

Edit: For the final lightgem, my idea was to actually model something like this in Lightwave so it looks more 3 dimensional, and render it with increasing brightness, so the brightness believably brightens up the sides. But this is good for a start.

Edit2: I also still have all the sourcefiles for the lightgem, so if anybody needs them for improvements PM me.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

And found/added some ambient music (and his sourcecode, under a creative commons license) to the briefing.

A little taste of the atmosphere in the briefing, that i had in mind.

Original song: Javier Ramirez (J.A.R.) - Lost Ambition

And get the heavily edited song (and this source) in the experiment.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

A little taste of the atmosphere in the briefing, that i had in mind.

Original song: Javier Ramirez (J.A.R.) - Lost Ambition

And get the heavily edited song (and this source) in the experiment.

I like the sound of this, could work nicely. I have experience on sound production. Depending on the timelines, I could either come up with some simlilar deus exey briefing music or edit tracks into briefing loops music files with permisiion perhaps? Pretty busy so would take a bit of time but could be fun. How long a loop is good?

Love the look of these maps you have found.

• Like 1

Loops are usually between 2 to 6 minutes, and make sure they're seamless and any repitition doesn't stand out too much.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You drop the lightgem folder somewhere in your FM pk4 and it just replaces the normal one.

I'm sure it goes in some nest of subfolders, I'll need to look it up.

But I imagine someone can figure it out before I have time after work and can just post it here, then I'll edit it into this post.

I placed the lightgem-folder in "darkmission.pk4\dds\guis\assets\hud\"

And it works.

I made a cyberpunk lightgem.

I haven't looked at it in a while, but I recall there's still something a little buggy with it, like the sides need to be shorter maybe.

But I think it's like 98% finished, only a few little tweaks left, if anyone can figure out the last bit.

To me, its looks nice, but the gem is a bit overbrighted in clear light.

Instead of blue corners, grey color would be nicer.

I keep it in the experiment.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I was thinking about this experiment.

i.m.h.o i would like to make this experiment as almost same as the dark mod, only in a present-day setting with some sci-fi elements.

no heavy weapons: only blackjack, a knife, a silenced handgun and some objects to throw or place.

A possible idea for the guards: Guards that a using torch, we give them a flash light.

I love the white "flashlight"-effect from the guards in the minigame from watchdogs 1 - digital trip "alone".

(And love the background music in during that scene, only some simple long strings.)

Is er something interesting inside the assetspackage from unreleased old d3 mod, alone?

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I was thinking about this experiment.

i.m.h.o i would like to make this experiment as almost same as the dark mod, only in a present-day setting with some sci-fi elements.

no heavy weapons: only blackjack, a knife, a silenced handgun and some objects to throw or place.

A possible idea for the guards: Guards that a using torch, we give them a flash light.

I love the white "flashlight"-effect from the guards in the minigame from watchdogs 1 - digital trip "alone".

(And love the background music in during that scene, only some simple long strings.)

Is er something interesting inside the assetspackage from unreleased old d3 mod, alone?

I personally agree, although, I would love to see a stun gun in too one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTUPAyuEZk8

edit. agreed, the background music on your watchdogs clip is lovely too - some nice sinister strings, occasionlay single notes of piano, plus a bit of ghostly granular synth textures are classic fits..

Edited by tefdal

My thinking is, long term building off freyk's experiment, we want to ultimately make a pk4 people drop into their Darkmod folder, and then FMs can use its assets so they can be a smaller size.

I also think it should contain hard scifi assets as well as cyberpunk/contemporary ones, so it can support a variety of styles from cyberpunk to scifi, contemp to far future. That's what I'm interested in seeing anyway. But there's no rush and we can debate what we want to see as we go.

I think any thread on this forum talking about Dark Mod owes it to have this video posted at some point.

The one common thread tying Thief and Deus Ex on a deeper level outside of stealth is the focus on immersion, and what that can do on a deeper level.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

We can use assets from CED's assetspack (public use license).

And is there someone, who can import some modern weapons to tdm? Like those from rwm.

(i tried to add rwm's pack myself, but get errors when i try to spawn them)

And why do we need backgroundmusic during the mission, when we can use ambient sounds?

(use your headphones)

Like those from the d3 redux mod

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

That's a great video on immersive sims. I'll have to save my many thoughts on it for another time though.

@demagogue: Can you take a look at the Duke3d HRP license please? There are a lot of cool textures in this pack, that would be useable for this.

attachicon.gifhrp_art_license.txt

Basically, you can't use any textures that have distinctive "artistic features" outside of use for DN3D.

The key phrase here is: "You may not alter, transform, build upon or adapt any portion of this Work specifically related to or derived from the Duke Nukem intellectual property, including likenesses, characters, sounds, phrases or references for any purpose other than use with a legally acquired copy of Duke Nukem 3D."

You could use possibly use textures of generic features (dirt, metal paneling, etc) because they derive from public source things like natural dirt, panels, etc, without any distinctive artistic contribution. But if you were being risk-averse, you'd just not use any from the pack (that was our strategy for converting Doom3 to standalone). But if you have some candidate textures, post them and we can think if they look sufficiently "generic" or if they look too "distinctive" in their artistic design.

Basically, you can't use any textures that have distinctive "artistic features" outside of use for DN3D.

Thats a shame.

Then we need to search for other alternatives.

For example, for the briefing I use images from Deviantart and Google Search - Images (using the license filter).

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!