The Dark Mod Forums

New Graphics Card Help!

Taquito

Ok so to take things in perspective, SSD and a 1050Ti card would be more cost efficient than the 1060 cause my PC would not be capable of using the 1060 to the best potential.

- Is if difficult to install an SSD? I've installed a video card before and that's it.

- How will a 1050T fare in longevity? Cause in the future, if I find a game I like to play but I can't cause the card isn't enough, but at the same time, I don't want to spent 300$ or more in an 1060 and have the same issue cause I don't have an SSD or my PC cant use the 1060 to its best potential.

About the SSD installation, the procedure is simple IF your system partition occupies a memory space <= SSD capacity.

If not you can reduce it (uninstalling programs, moving documents to somewhere else) OR reinstall Windows.

1050 Ti longevity is = 1060 longevity for 1920x1080 / High-Medium graphic options / no MSAA in modern games / no VR / No CUDA / No OpenCL / No deep learning frameworks

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

About the SSD installation, the procedure is simple IF your system partition occupies a memory space <= SSD capacity. If not you can reduce it (uninstalling programs, moving documents to somewhere else) OR reinstall Windows.

He can reinstall windows on the new SSD and just keep all his old data on HDD, simples.

I'm really curious, how does this system have 10GB of RAM?

EDIT: Oh so they have 2x 4GB and 2x 1GB modules? Wierd layout.

My only other concern is that the page also states: "Interface: SATA"

Doesn't specify SATA II. So an SSD may be capped at 150MB/s throughput. Seems odd that a computer would have USB 3.0 on it and not SATA II. Maybe HP didn't specifiy it was SATA II? It will still be 2-3 times faster than a HDD but not 5x or faster. Seek times will be instant though so, still quite an upgrade.

Edited by Lux

He can reinstall windows on the new SSD and just keep all his old data on HDD, simples.

In that case, I would suggest to format the old HDD (after the successful reinstallation). I did not do that, when I upgraded my sytem and now I am stuck with an old Windows version on my HDD, that I cannot deinstall. Only option I found so far, was to format.

To uninstall the OLD Windows installation rename it windows.old and use the (new) Windows clean-up tool ;)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

For Win7 http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19151-windows-old-folder-delete.html

Also, has to be run as Administrator or you'll get permissions error.

You want to make sure you get all of your /user/_profilename_/documents /photos/ /music/ etc. stuff out of there first and copied/moved over to your new installation prior to deleting. If you have the room to spare it's good to keep it around for week or two just to make sure there's isn't something you forgot to grab.

To uninstall the OLD Windows installation rename it windows.old and use the (new) Windows clean-up tool ;)

Hm, I have seen tons of sites telling how to remove the windows.old folder, but it never occurred to me to simply rename it :blush: I will try that, as soon as I get home.

For Win7 http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19151-windows-old-folder-delete.html

Also, has to be run as Administrator or you'll get permissions error.

You want to make sure you get all of your /user/_profilename_/documents /photos/ /music/ etc. stuff out of there first and copied/moved over to your new installation prior to deleting. If you have the room to spare it's good to keep it around for week or two just to make sure there's isn't something you forgot to grab.

Thanks for the reminder. I am pretty sure, I have copied everything I need, but I will check before I delete it. BTW I think that in Vista (which my former Windows version was), the User folder was not part of the Windows folder. But it is better to check, just to be safe.

What's the general price for an SSD?

Crucial MX300 275 GB -> 75 Euro(s)

Crucial MX300 525 GB -> 95 Euro(s)

(see amazon)

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

FWIW, if you can afford a 500GB, get it. If you get a 256GB you'll just wish you'd spung for the larger drive after you've installed 5-6 games + windows cause you'll be out of space (modern game releases).

Also, do not partition the entire drive. Leave about 5-8% (your choice, I use 8-10%) of it unpartitioned in Windows setup. Then it performs fine if its full or if it needs to replace bad blocks over time and performance shouldn't decrease with time. So 512GB drive = ~470GB formatted. 256GB drive = ~235GB formatted.

Ok so a quick look on amazon.com for items from reputable manufacturers (only ones that offer multi year warranty - Asus, Msi, Gigabyte, Evga, Samsung) -

1. 4GB Asus GTX 1050Ti - $159
  2. 250gb Samsung evo 2.5" SSD - $75

Both have free shipping, but you you will have to check if thats free or if not what the shipping to your country is.

Ok so a quick look on amazon.com for items from reputable manufacturers (only ones that offer multi year warranty - Asus, Msi, Gigabyte, Evga, Samsung) -

1. 4GB Asus GTX 1050Ti - $159
  2. 250gb Samsung evo 2.5" SSD - $75

Both have free shipping, but you you will have to check if thats free or if not what the shipping to your country is.

What do you think about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-525GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480520897&sr=8-2&keywords=ssd+500

MX300 525 is on par with MX200 256 (but with more capacity). It is a decent/honest SSD, I can reassure you :D

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 2