The Dark Mod Forums

New Graphics Card Help!

Taquito

SSDs from Crucial and Samsung are all I've ever purchased.  My original 60GB Crucial is in its third system (laptop) and has been trouble free for a few years.  Crucial (Micron) and Samsung (along with Kingston I believe) make their own memory so they know its quirks/nuances and how to interface with it.  Samsung of course makes their own controller so... yeah everything in the drive they make which you can't beat.  I think Kingston has occasional issues in their QC dept. so Samsung and Crucial are the only drives I ever recommend to anyone.  So I agree with Bikerdude and lowenz.  Will be a great purchase.

SSDs and Monitors are the things which make the most difference.  A 1" larger monitor you can see instantly and more real estate gives you more room to work and makes things easier to see, once you have it, you immediately appreciate it.  SSDs are increasing the speed of the slowest piece of hardware in a computer.  Its amazing how long we went with 50MB/s being the established norm and its also astonishing how much faster even an old PC feels with a quick SSD installed.

Your video card will change but you'll never go back to a spinning disk for your primary hard drive once you get that SSD installed.  It would be like using a dial-up connection to get on the internet.

• Like 1

For size of your monitor and CPU there isn't much point going above the 1050Ti and the Crucial 512GB is a good price and perf. So what I recommend you do instead is upgrade the PSU to a single rail 500w and maybe get a bigger monitor - remind what's the make/model of the one you have atm,..?

PSU - EVGA 500W 3yr warranty - $40

For size of your monitor and CPU there isn't much point going above the 1050Ti and the Crucial 512GB is a good price and perf. So what I recommend you do instead is upgrade the PSU to a single rail 500w and maybe get a bigger monitor - remind what's the make/model of the one you have atm,..?

PSU - EVGA 500W 3yr warranty - $40

I already got a new Power Supply not long ago. Basically these are the options shipping where I'm from:

Card:

https://www.amazon.com/Geforce-Dual-Fan-Graphics-DUAL-GTX1050TI-4G-Graphic/dp/B01MCVH13I/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480971337&sr=1-5&keywords=GTX+1050+Ti+4&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-04G-P4-6253-KR-Rodgers/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480971337&sr=1-1&keywords=GTX+1050+Ti+4&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

SSD

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-525GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480971480&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd+512&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480971480&sr=1-2&keywords=ssd+512&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

Sorry to keep bothering you but I'm pretty insecure with things I don't know much about.

1. I already got a new Power Supply not long ago. Basically these are the options shipping where I'm from:
  2. Card:EVGA
  3. SSD:Crucil
  1. Oh cool, whats the make and model..?
  2. Get the EVGA card 1. its smaller, 2. its faster and 3. its cheaper - review
  3. The Crucial, again your system wont really be able to take full advantage of the Samsung, so may as well save yourself $50

Does the dual fan thing makes any difference?

Potentially 2 fan can run slower for same cooling, but the 1050 even a Ti is gonna produce no heat so 2 fans are a overkill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you get the EVGA and the Crucial thats $280, leaving $120. The sensible thing is to put that into your savings account, but if your monitor is a few years old it maybe worth replacing it. But if your happy with your current monitor you could upgrade the 1050 to a 1060 @$199 still leaving $70 to put away for a rainy day.

• Whats the make model of your PSU
  • Whats the make model of your monitor.

• The moitor is pretty old and outdated, nothing fancy. Hp Pavillionf1503
  • The purchase has been made for the Evga and the Crucial.
  • you mean this one, that a fairly low end monitor (only does 1024*768), so with the extra cash yyou have left over would you like me to look around for a better one..? There are load of far superior monitors for $70-100 mark.
  • Good man!

For a 1050 no, but you got a second fan if one fails

Heh, but when has that ever happened when all you need to do is hoover it out once every few months.

• The GTX 1050..

The SSD appears as "Preparing for Shipment" and arriving Dec 21 to 30. That's the only mail I've received from Amazon.

• Ok, we can find you a similar card. Have you tried looking for the card from anywhere else..?

Er wtf, does it always take this long to get stuff shipped to you..?

• Absolutely cancel and reorder a similar item.

They are all more or less the same.

• We should be able to find you another card

hmm not quite, the card I originally found was very good spec for the cash.

@dukenzo: I can cancel the order but I can't order before i get the refund first. :unsure:

@Bikerdude: I can't tell cause I rarely purchase anything online. I'm fighting the urge to go across the street and get one at Best Buy. :blush: Amazon doesn't seem to specify how much they got in stock.

Do they have a website for the BestBuy in your country that I can have a look at..?

In the meantime what has been order thus far and from where..?

-Nope. But I can check it out tomorrow. I'm assuming prices could be close to this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=gtx+1050+ti&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

-The SSD Card. In the order info it says it will arrive in between Dec 21 and 30.

• -Nope. But I can check it out tomorrow. I'm assuming prices could be close to this: -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=gtx+1050+ti&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

• -The SSD Card. In the order info it says it will arrive in between Dec 21 and 30.
  • That 1050Ti they have is a longer card, its very lickly it will physically fix in the case but to be sure I need to you pop the side of the case of and take a picture with a ruler or tape-measure. Or you for the $170 they want for the 1050 you could spend $30 and get a 1060 -

- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5622835.p?skuId=5622835

• They don't have ANY 500GB SSD's in, so you unless you can find me any other site to check out stick with the amazon order.

That's a bummer Taquito, have you tried contacting them? (amazon seller) I have never bought anything from amazon, but it seems like someone could give you a better idea of how long you would have to wait before they restock. I am planning on getting the same card, my local microcenter had 10+ Asus 1050ti's on friday, today they have just one left! A week or so ago, same deal, they had a good stock, then sold out. At least it seems they are trying to keep a good supply of them, and I would assume most sellers on amazon would do the same. A year or so ago, I ordered a shit ton of car parts online and received a similar message about one single part, of which I had ordered four. I went all old-school and called their 800 number, talked to a real human and in 5 minutes was told to ignore the e-mail, all the parts would be shipping together. You never know, sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Fingers crossed you can source one somewhere soon.

p.s.@ Bikerdude, doesn't the 1060 require a separate power connection? his PS may not be up to the task.

Edited by montag