The Dark Mod Forums

New Graphics Card Help!

Taquito

I am more worried with the installing than anything else. :ph34r:

If you will still have internet access while you are swapping in new parts I would be happy to walk you thru it. Do we know for sure that your case will hold an ATX ps? and do you have a brick&mortar electronics store nearby?(Radio Shack, Best Buy, ect.) A local mom&pops computer shop may be a good place to find an adapter for the time being, then you can take your time finding just the right PS and waiting for it to ship. If you have already installed a graphics card, you will have no trouble doing this upgrade!

edit: ok, just checked on the HP p7-1451, no worrys on the atx PS fitting, so for now you just need the adapter.

Edited by montag
  • Like 1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423173&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cables+-+Internal+Power+Cables-_-N82E16812423173&gclid=CIOA_oKh-tACFYEdgQodNgYCsw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is an example of the adapter, note the question about the upper middle pin. there is a nice set of pics showing what you need to check, and part numbers for both choices.

And here is a really nice deal on a power supply that will fit your needs now, and provide a nice cushion for any future upgrades. (note the final price, if you jump thru some hoops is only $33!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153167&ignorebbr=1

Edited by montag
  • Like 1

If you will still have internet access while you are swapping in new parts I would be happy to walk you thru it. Do we know for sure that your case will hold an ATX ps? and do you have a brick&mortar electronics store nearby?(Radio Shack, Best Buy, ect.) A local mom&pops computer shop may be a good place to find an adapter for the time being, then you can take your time finding just the right PS and waiting for it to ship. If you have already installed a graphics card, you will have no trouble doing this upgrade!

edit: ok, just checked on the HP p7-1451, no worrys on the atx PS fitting, so for now you just need the adapter.

ATX is a brand of a PSU? I'm not sure I get it. Yes There's a Best Buy, Office Max, Office Depot within a 10min radius. There's also places to get the installation done but they will most likely charge around $60-$100 for the installation. I think I can do it.

-Remember I changed the original psu. the guy who installed it told me he had to break a part of the cage to fit it in and had more watts than the factory one but I don't remember exactly the number and this new supply doesn't have any labels on. I think I'll pass by and ask if they have records of it.

Nope. Perhaps through hdmi adapter?

Yes, now there's no more any bundled VGA adapter cause VGA must die :D

An HDMI adapter is sometimes in the bundle.

But an HDMI connection is not a good thing for a PC monitor (overscan issues).....so your monitor has only VGA and HDMI inputs?

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Well, HDMI is not a good thing but VGA IMHO must really die :P

Try the HDMI connection if the monitor supports it (and if you got the cable).

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

VGA only.

OK, so go for the DVI-VGA adapter. Maybe if you still have the old VGA bundle it is inside :D

Edited by lowenz

Update:

I found a dvi d hdmi adapter and plugged it to my TV. The PSU and GPU install seems to work. I'm installing the drivers now. :rolleyes:

Ah, that sensation..... :D

But hey, you don't need the adapter because your card has the HDMI output.....or not? Please check!

HDMI is good using the TV (and not a PC monitor).

Edited by lowenz

Yep I noticed that. Everything seems to be runner smoothly, except everything seems a bit blurry. Not as clear and clear as before. I checked the resolution and it seems that is ok. I have no idea what it is.

Overscan problem? Can you check the limits of the image (desktop, etc.)?

(overscan -> the image is stretched BEYOND the frame)

And remember to avoid every blurring/smoothing function of your TV (in the menu). Disable them!

Edited by lowenz