The Dark Mod Forums

New Graphics Card Help!

Taquito

• Just came from Best Buy. There's really nothing there other than an EVGA GTX 950 at $206.
  • I cancelled the order already.
  • This might sound like a stupid question but is it a big difference between the Evga 1050ti SC vs the regular one?
  • Arse, and yeah less power for more money.
  • Ok good, better to buy the right stuff the first time.
  • yes clock speeds and amount of ram, the SC model looks like a cut down version.

So looking at NewEgg I have found the following that are in stock -

This might sound like a stupid question but is it a big difference between the Evga 1050ti SC vs the regular one?

http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=4CAA4209-125F-43F8-B78E-DB56B52FD66E

+

http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=7E5BFB9F-C13B-4800-A855-BEA3724A5F8E

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Some MHz(s), nothing important (and ovbiously you can overclock the GPU+VRAM manually).

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

2rw6vrr.png

Shipping seems a bit high in Newegg.

I also tried checking out the Power supply and there's no sticker or any id at all. Perhaps in the other side of the piece but I cant see it. I tried finding the box but nothing. I still got the original one in the closet which is 250. But I don't remember the exact w of the one it has now. :blush:

Shipping does seem a little bit high, but if that 2-3 day claim is right, not too bad. I have a brother who lives in St. Croix, and every year I send him a "Cincinnati chili gift pack" for Christmas, for grins I tracked the last one I sent. It went from Cincinnati to Jacksonville Fla., to Puerto Rico, where it spent (presumably) TWO fun filled days, then it shipped back to Florida, and from there to St. Croix. Total travel time of seven days!

Regarding your power supply, you mentioned that you upgraded it in the past. As long as it's 300watts, you should be OK for a bit. IMHO, no one should ever skimp on a PS, you get what you pay for, and what you pay for is stable power and longevity. Plan on replacing it soon with a quality one, it's worth the money. Your local Best Buy should have some on hand, look for an Antec, Corsair, Evga, or Seasonic brand, expect to pay $40-$60 on it. For now, don't sweat it, but definitely do plan on replacing it as soon as you can.

Update:

I decided to go with the GTX 1060 since getting a 500w pcu is cheap and it's all still in budget. Hopefully I can say goodbye to lag now. I'll let you know when the items arrive. Thank you all for having patience with me. I might be needing help with the SSD installation cause I have installed a Graphics card before but nothing beyond that. Do I need anything else?

Edited by Taquito

• No, you're good to go! :D
  • Does the SSD have the mechanical adapter included, right?
  • +1
  • Even if it dosent, a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter can be found for a $2-5

A word of advice - from bitter experience - remove the existing graphics card drivers before installing the new card

Yes -

1. uninstall old driver (dont reboot)
  2. run driver sweeper 3.2.0 (dont get a later version of this app as its infested with ad/mal-ware)
  3. remove old gfx card
  4. shutdown
  5. install new gfx card
  6. install latest gfx driver.
  7. reboot
  8. Then finally and the most important part - Play The Darkmod.

• Even if it dosent, a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter can be found for a $2-5

True, but it should still be considered. It cost me another half an hour to get the adapter, when I built my PC (driving to the store, buying it at the worst time of day, driving back; and I was lucky there that the store was just a couple of minutes away). When you're already ordering/buying stuff, you should get it right away.

• Like 1

I can't deny I'm pretty exited to get this package. It's been years since I bought stuff for myself other than sneakers. :rolleyes:

And it's for a greater good too :o:D (you're a great analist of FM quality so an hw upgrade can do justice to your skill).

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

I liked post#92, but can't find the "Don't Like This" button for post#93! You can find 2Molex or sata to 6 pin adapters, but you would be better off picking up the power supply that you mentioned earlier. Easy for me to say, cause it's not my money, but you'll be better served going that route. I'm jealous of your card and ssd btw! Very nice!

I didn't know the detail about not having a 6 pin included in the PSU means it didn't have the necessary power for the card. That could have been the indicative I was looking for. I will take the PSU out to see if the sticker with some info is at the other side. At least a PSU is still in budget. I saw a 500w in Best Buy.

I know that must be frustrating, but just shop for a decent brand name with at least one 6 pin PCI Express connector (for the card), enough sata (serial ata) connectors to run your HDD(s), your new SSD, and your DVD player. (if it's older it may use a molex connector) You are soooo close!

• Like 1

I didn't know the detail about not having a 6 pin included in the PSU means it didn't have the necessary power for the card. That could have been the indicative I was looking for. I will take the PSU out to see if the sticker with some info is at the other side. At least a PSU is still in budget. I saw a 500w in Best Buy.

You have the power, only not "well routed" (through a dedicated rail) to the VGA.

If you have a 2molex-6pin adapter you can use it waiting for the new PSU. The 1060 doesn't need a lot of power.

Edited by lowenz

can you illustrate with a pic lowenz? I'm lost

You know the adapter: vaciff1399876029283.jpg

The 6pin *dedicated rail* is needed to avoid fluctuations in voltage but the old adapter you see above can do the work well as well for some days.

• Like 1