The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Modular Building assets, 2.05

Springheel

I've been using these in WS4 and WS5 and there's no way I could've made the progress I've made w/o them.

Springheel's suggestion is that you don't use caulk for the walls between modules. I found that shadow_caulk works fine, and the game isn't burdened with having to paint a texture behind the walls.

• Like 2

Good news! For the general release, I suggest you should write an even more accessible introduction that explains the concept to complete newbies in non-technical language. You can follow this up with a mini-tutorial with a technical overview and even a tips&tricks section, but the first impression should be entirely transparent to someone who knows nothing about level design.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Checked them out yesterday and they are beautiful. Very nice work there, mista.

There's no question that modular builds have much heavier performance impact than brushes do.

Why do you think so? The triangulation on some of your models isn't perfect, but this is something done by the modeling tool, I guess. Besides that I guess models are always the better choice.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thank you for this, Springheel.

We're really blessed to have such an extraordinary team & contributors.

And now I can finally say there's at least one good thing that's come out of 2016.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

And now I can finally say there's at least one good thing that's come out of 2016.

Well, you had Trump :P

• Like 1

Let's agree on The Accountant 2, The King of Diamonds, Volta and the Stone, and Down by the Riverside. :D

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Really gorgeous models there! I am sure this will help many map authors, especially newbies who want to quickly realize a map. I have one question regarding the modules: You said that they are modeled. Does this mean that these structures are non-sealing? If so, it would be good to mention it somewhere, so people know that they have to add some sealing geometry beneath the models, as visportals would not work and (if they only create a house without an exterior) might get problems with leaks. The more experienced authors will know this, of course, but newbies might get thrown off by it.

Another question regarding the sorting (this is actually for DR in general): Is it possible to assign two different "editor_displayFolder" spawnargs in DR for the same file? This way, if you are not sure if a model fits in category one or two, you could just add the respective model to both folders.

Does this mean that these structures are non-sealing? If so, it would be good to mention it somewhere,

Second paragraph under "Using Modules".

Why do you think so? The triangulation on some of your models isn't perfect, but this is something done by the modeling tool, I guess. Besides that I guess models are always the better choice.

I guess it's not the use of models per se, it's the fact that these particular models have a great deal more detail than what you would see in regular brushwork.

Let's agree on The Accountant 2, The King of Diamonds, Volta and the Stone, and Down by the Riverside. :D

And PD3! ;)

Edited by Goldwell

Painfully beautiful, especially those interior parts! I guess you have built them in a "real" modelling software and not "just" DR? :)

I particularly like the softness of the edges. Like the years and wear and tear have shaven off the clean edges.

Yes, I made them in Lighwave. The beveled edges and smoothing definitely make a difference.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This looks really great, thank you for the wonderful work! Can't wait to try these in 2.05 :)

My main confusion was how much this is just models, and how much it's prefabs that also include brushes of full rooms. Considering the need to create area portals in between rooms, as well as entities like operable doors and windows, a single mesh for an entire interior might be tricky. I assume each piece is for filling one room in between a precise arrangement of brush walls, but I guess I will see.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

• 2 weeks later...

After the release of 2.05, I only had little time to take a look at the new modules you made. But even the small glimpse I got was very impressive! Very nice work on these and thank you for providing them to the community! I am sure that these will help me and a lot of other mappers to realise missions a lot faster than could have been done without them. Now I only need to actually find the time to do it...

You're welcome. I'm really excited to see what mappers do with them!

• Like 2

Thank you :)

The scenes are very rough, however. Lots of detailing needed.

I am ever amazed at what the Internet can do to free us (if it doesn't enslave us first) and the creativity of people doing what they love! Bravo!

• Like 2

Stop in at www.everybodyandme.com for all the latest demos and commercials!

Keep listening!