The Dark Mod Forums

Soft watergui transition

DeTeEff

If I understand correctly, to create murky water you create a body of water, add a coloured patch on top, add a fog light in the water and then add

underwater_gui   guis/underwater/underwater_greengrey_thickmurk.gui

to the water body.

The problem is that the "camera/eyes" of the player reaches under the water before the game recognize the player being submerged and the murky gui kicks in, so if the player just slightly dips his head in the water, the water is clear. Is there any workaround for this?

I have tried to put several layers of the coloured overlay like 1-2 units below the surface, but the effect in unsightly at the water edges where you can spot the layers...

If there were any kind of unmistakable (iff) mark of the camera rendering water, either visual mark or in the code, then you could make a check for that directly and link the gui to that. I'm thinking that's a job for the source code, though, unless the gui script can have access to whatever it is.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

there's an issue filed for this.

i wrote a solution that worked pretty well when the player enters or leaves the water when vertical.

but it falls apart if the player is leaning. nothing i could do would solve the leaning problem.

i set the solution aside and haven't looked at it since. i prolly won't go back to it, since you and I are the only ones I know who've raised the issue in 7 years.

Hehe, some people are just more nitpicky than others :) Just that I wanted a gritty and dirty and unforgiving sewer with lots of the good, brown stuff, and it's a bit jarring that the water is totally clear at just the surface...

Is your fix going to be included in any future updates?

• 4 weeks later...

If I understand correctly, to create murky water you create a body of water, add a coloured patch on top, add a fog light in the water and then add

underwater_gui   guis/underwater/underwater_greengrey_thickmurk.gui
to the water body.

The problem is that the "camera/eyes" of the player reaches under the water before the game recognize the player being submerged and the murky gui kicks in, so if the player just slightly dips his head in the water, the water is clear. Is there any workaround for this?

I have tried to put several layers of the coloured overlay like 1-2 units below the surface, but the effect in unsightly at the water edges where you can spot the layers...

Add brushes overtop edges where it's ugly so it's hidden from player sight?