The Dark Mod Forums

Mod DB voting began

Darkness_Falls

Survarium is good but without a single player campaign is nothing but a technically advanced stalker-game shell.....

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I don't think they reveal the whole ranking unfortunately. We probably didn't drum up a lot of publicity because

we didn't have a TDM version release during the voting season. (And a bunch of sour grapes Moddb denizens

think we shouldn't be counted because we are now Standalone...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I don't think they reveal the whole ranking unfortunately. We probably didn't drum up a lot of publicity because

we didn't have a TDM version release during the voting season. (And a bunch of sour grapes Moddb denizens

think we shouldn't be counted because we are now Standalone...)

In as TDM isn't a mod anymore? This is questionable.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

The top three are pretty cool mods. The rest ... meh.

I know it's been said a lot, but it feels like modding is a dying art and it doesn't have near the same activity it's had in the past.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The top three are pretty cool mods. The rest ... meh.

I know it's been said a lot, but it feels like modding is a dying art and it doesn't have near the same activity it's had in the past.

That seems to be the case due to the rising indie development teams. Also free engines like Unity.

When the choice comes up it's much better to do that and maybe even earn a bit along the way such as the one man made Depths of Fear :: Knossos on Unity. Futher examples as Don't Starve (not on Unity though, but still relatively cheap). Try to remember how that started.

TDM seems near things like 0 A.D. which are free software things of their own. Or like Space Engine even. But TDM just gives tools.

Mods as they used to be 10 years ago either adopt their own niche for cult classic games or they transform into something independent.

Mods for online games - targeted at multiplayer of course are much more vulnerable as is the case for a lot of Gold Source and Source mods. But no problem for singleplayer. That's why TDM lives on and why FM's are still made for Thief. A depression in online people for multiplayer is a killer.

Mods just changed - they took the shape of accesibility on platforms as Steam Workshop, for games which support them and where devs thought it was worth it. The process gets into a cycle that breeds continuous interest to be highlighted long enough for constant new fluxes of audience coming in and out guaranteeing visibility, promotion and a working community.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Dunno, but, since the crap the developers of Deus Ex: Revision had to take, first for not releasing yesterday, and then for the Steam only release, i don't like Mod DB so much anymore... funny how trolls can change the picture you have from a otherwise serious site.

Edited by chakkman

Dunno, but, since the crap the developers of Deus Ex: Revision had to take, first for not releasing yesterday, and then for the Steam only release, i don't like Mod DB so much anymore... funny how trolls can change the picture you have from a otherwise serious site.

I had some discussions with the guy behind the GMDX mod and others on RPGCodex recently and they think Deus Ex: Revision is much worse than GMDX. Now it looks to me as if they made a deal with Valve to get it on Steam in exchange with only having it work with the Steam version! So who is to blame when people on ModDB don't like this?

A deal with Valve? For a free mod? They offered the mod quickly after the Steam release for non-Steam versions BTW. I don't think theres anyone to "blame" either, considering people worked for free in their spare time, and get no profit of it. I don't think buying Deus Ex on Steam for 1 € 50, or whatever it cost when Revision was released, is asked too much.

A deal with Valve? For a free mod?

Yeah, why not? I tried several times to get my Unofficial Patch included in the Steam release of Bloodlines as it is needed to run the game on modern systems. Valve never even cared to listen! GOG did and contacted me myself because of this. Also although I know nothing about modding DX, I don't understand how a mod could only work for the Steam version in the first place unless they intended to do this on purpose to give GOG a kick. Actual selling price of DX wouldn't matter to Valve, but keeping practical monopoly on online distribution surely would...

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 2

Yeah, why not? I tried several times to get my Unofficial Patch included in the Steam release of Bloodlines as it is needed to run the game on modern systems. Valve never even cared to listen! GOG did and contacted me myself because of this. Also although I know nothing about modding DX, I don't understand how a mod could only work for the Steam version in the first place unless they intended to do this on purpose to give GOG a kick. Actual selling price of DX wouldn't matter to Valve, but keeping practical monopoly on online distribution surely would...

The problem with Bloodlines is the deafness and blindness of Activision who own it. We have no word here unfortunately.

Every email I tried to send them had no response.

badge?user=andarson

The thing is, before having definite proof that it is exactly like that, it is not wise to blame Caustic Creative for all that. And IF we do a guessing game, then i'd say none of that is true. What i actually COULD imagine is that Caustic had a "deal", or let's rather say a arrangement, with Squre Enix, after all they were free to use the franchise, kind of, to wait until Deus Ex is on sale, and then release the mod. Because, when Revision came out, you could buy Deus Ex on Steam for peanuts. But, those are just assumptions too. I really don't understand why Caustic got so much sh** because they released a free mod, which they created in their spare time. It really came over as ungrateful.

Edited by chakkman

I really don't understand why Caustic got so much sh** because they released a free mod, which they created in their spare time. It really came over as ungrateful.

I don't really know either and everything I wrote above was indeed speculation, but I got the impression that there is more going on behind the scenes than we know. If I remember the RPGCodex discussions correctly, there is some bad blood between different DX modding teams...

Edited by wesp5

Not really. GOG managed to get my basic patch into their version of the game in no time, so the blame is clearly on Valve...

CD Projekt is known for their initiative.

I don't even know what to say. Clearly Valve doesn't want to get risks. It might also be a legislation thing because Valve is US while CD Projekt - Poland. Therefore GOG does it and Valve does it only if Activision asks.

In a way it prooves the relationship Valve has with us and explains why we never got a Half Life 3. Nothing happens without reason.

badge?user=andarson