The Dark Mod Forums

Opened My Business This Week.

New Horizon

So, I put an ad in the paper this week and got my first customer. Said he had virus issues. This was an understatement my friends. This computer had 4000 viruses. The most I had ever seen prior to this was 300. Not only that, his computer only had 256 megs of ram but opened enough programs at startup to occupy over 400 megs of ram. I see a problem here. LOL His computer would start using the hard drive immediately and he would run out of virtual memory. Said his kids made..."adjustments"...to correct this issue. I really didn't see any but....whatever. :lol:

I have now begun to question what I have done. I have left the tech support at the call centre behind and have taken work into my home. I do believe that the most common job I will get is virus cleaning.

Oh well, it's good money. Man, 4000 viruses!!!

This computer had 4000 viruses...

Wow, that's a fuckload. Funny though, my friend downloaded a cleaning program and it detected ~8500 individual spyware programs on his! Truly!

I was like "wtf do you do to get all this shit!?!".

Ahh yes, the lovely things. I guess he could'nt tell because he has like 1Gb of ram, so it did'nt matter much.

Yeah, funny situations. :lol: :lol:

Wow, that's a fuckload. Funny though, my friend downloaded a cleaning program and it detected ~8500 individual spyware programs on his! Truly!

I was like "wtf do you do to get all this shit!?!".

Ahh yes, the lovely things. I guess he could'nt tell because he has like 1Gb of ram, so it did'nt matter much.

Yeah, funny situations. :lol: :lol:

wow...8500! That's just insane. I seriously don't know how people do it sometimes. LOL I mean, I don't do anything exceptional to avoid viruses. I don't even have a firewall or any antivirus software installed on a regular basis. I just run one once in awhile and 9 times out of 10 I'm clean.

I just run one once in awhile and 9 times out of 10 I'm clean.

Wow. I never run it. Funny, last time i caught a virus that kept coming up no matter what i did. I stopped it in the end. I deleted all of its files (along with some windows files) then my mouse did'nt respond...no keyboard, etc.

Had to reinstall. Now i use desktop armour which says if any changes are made to the registry, and The Cleanr to change it all back :D

Oh yeah, mine's clean.

Only ever got hit once, and that was with that '60 seconds to shutdown' virus (or whateve it was)

I don't have anti virus and didn't have a firewall until I installed SP2.

I've been dowloading all kinds of dodgy shit from dubious sites and P2P for years.

It just goes to show that this virus parinoia that some people have is total bollocks.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

oh yeah, that was the only virus I ever got.

Luckily I had read the way to deactivate it earlier on a virus warning page...phew.

Yeah, I've never actually been adversely affected by any virus; they either get stopped by my anti-virus or firewall, so don't ever do any actual harm. Spyware - meh, I use Adaware and Spybot every so often, they usually pick up a few tracking cookies or whatever.

Only ever got hit once, and that was with that '60 seconds to shutdown' virus (or whateve it was)

I don't have anti virus and didn't have a firewall until I installed SP2.

I've been dowloading all kinds of dodgy shit from dubious sites and P2P for years.

It just goes to show that this virus parinoia that some people have is total bollocks.

Funny thing is that I do the same. I download from "dubious" sources and only have a firewall since aboiut a year, but only because it is part of the router, not because I thought it neccessary. In more then ten years I had only one or two virii, ond one of them was installed because of a fault of mine. I was analyzing it and hit the run button in the debugger instead of canceling it, when I was finished. :)

Whats even more funny is: I was running Hidden and Dangerous some years ago on my machine. It didn't work properly and because I couldn't find a solution I decided to give the helpline a try (something I never do and never will do again). The result was that I had to reinstall my entire machine because of the things, the guy told me to do. I knew that this wouldn't work, but I gave it a try anyway. After my machine was screwed up enough because of the "helpfull tips" of the helpline, I was forced to reinstall. Needless to say that the game still didn't work. But I had a pirtated copy which worked fine. The guy on the helpline told me it is my gfxdriver and moboard and whatnot, even though I told him all along that the priated version works fine. THe only response that got was that he told me he has to sue me if I continue to use the pirated version. I told him he should try that. :) Well, so much for "priated versions only have virii and create problems". Usually it's the other way around.

Gerhard

There are a lot of people making a lot of money from anti virus software and firewalls and spyware removal. It's in thir interest to generate paranoia about how certain you are to have your computer explode in your face if you don't pay for their software to protect you.

I wouldn't be surprised if the major software security compaines aren't surreptitiously starting virus scares themselves.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Anotjher thing is that however much you snigger at it, XP is now virtually becoming airtight to viruses and loopholes, unless you actually download a file called runme.exe and execute it.

It only took 5 years. We'll soon be able to do the whole thing all over again with longhorn.

- Emil Zola

character models site