The Dark Mod Forums

Free Ubisoft Games

Destined

Hi guys,

this year is Ubisoft's 30th birthday and they have been giving away one game each month. This weekend all seven games they have given away are on offer for free again. All you need is a Ubisoft account (and their launcher, which is annoying, but I had it anyway, so who cares). The games they are offering are:

• Prince of Persia - Sands of Time
  • Splinter Cell
  • Rayman Origins
  • The Crew
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Farcry 3 - Blood Dragon
  • Assassin's Creed III

About the games: They are all not the latest, but hey, they are for free...

Prince of Persia is an eccellent 3D jump n' run game. The humour lives a lot from the sarcasm of the prince. Even though it is old, I will most likely play it again. I can only recommend this game.

Most of you will know Splinter Cell, as it is one of the better stealth games, there are. It has its faults, as it is the first part of the series. Still, it is among the best stealth games, I know.

Rayman Origins is a 2D jump n' run game and is on a par with Super Mario, if not even better. Also very reccommended if you're into this type of games.

The Crew is a racing game. I don't care for this type of games, so I have no idea, how good or bad it is.

Beyond Good and Evil I have not played, yet. I only have heard that it is supposed to be a good game. I am currently installing it.

Farcry 3 - Blood Dragon is an over the top 80's action movie on LSD. It is a 1st person shooter type of game with some stealth elements that does not take itself seriously, which makes it a very funny game. As I said, it is very over the top, but that is one reason I would recommend it

Assassin's Creed III should also be something everyone here knows. It is not the best part of the series, but it is also not the worst game I know. For free, it is definitely fine.

• Like 2

I agree, for free, you can't complain much.

I loved the early Splinter Cell games, nice to replay the first one without scouting for the DVD ;)

With the Crew, I have mixed feelings. Would be nice, to support more wheel hardware, would be nice, to be able to replay it. Those buy "Wild run", buy "Calling all units" nags are a definite put off.

FC3 Blood dragon, guess you either like or hate it :)

AC III is something, I already have and like - too bad claiming the free copy destroyed my savegames...

Can't tell anything about the others.

Yes you need to have uplay installed, login and you can claim them. You also need to click through to join the Club ubi 30 thing at some point. I clicked to claim them and all of them are in my games tab now (not downloaded though). People moan about uplay but in my view its now improved a fair amount, seems relatively unintrusive. Asks before going in your system tray, does not force start itself on boot, does not force install intel password manager likke adobe flash update without asking, it does all these things right.

• Like 1

Sands of Time is the best game in that list, and that's coming from someone with at least half a hundred hours in SC 1.

Blood Dragon is proof the formula could work, but only if you keep it simple.

They won't.

Sometimes I wish Blood Dragon was the only Far Cry game released after 2, because it really is just great.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Thanks for the heads up.

The Prince of Persia trilogy is definately one of the best games of the millenium. Right there with Thief.

Warrior Within is my favourite though. Brilliant overture.

My problem with Ubisoft is not DRM but that they never made the deal with Cyan about Myst 3 and 4. Having those packed up would be great.

Additionally leaving Silent Hunter to bite the dust is shameful.

Do you get them simply by using the Uplay application or are they automatically added to the account?

My current PC desktop and laptop don't have the app.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

@V-Man339

Blood Dragon is proof the formula could work, but only if you keep it simple.

They won't.

Sometimes I wish Blood Dragon was the only Far Cry game released after 2, because it really is just great.

What was wrong with farcry 3? Blood dragon is just a reskin of that anyway..

Also, farcry 4 is also very similar and quite fun too in my view...

Edited by tefdal

The Prince of Persia trilogy is definately one of the best games of the millenium. Right there with Thief.

Warrior Within is my favourite though. Brilliant overture.

I actually prefer Two Thrones, mainly because of the dialogues between the Prince and the Wraith. But I agree, it is one of the best game troligies I know.

Do you get them simply by using the Uplay application or are they automatically added to the account?

My current PC desktop and laptop don't have the app.

You need to install Uplay. There you have a "Ubi30" tab in which you can claim the game, which adds them to your game library in Uplay.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this post is not really about free games, but there is an Assassin's Creed Bundle on www.humblebundle.com right now. Currently there is part one and the AC Chronicles trilogy for 1 $. Additionally parts 2 and 3 for 7.50 $ and furthermore Unity and Brotherhood for 15 $.

If you know and liked "Mark of the Ninja", the AC Chronicles trilogy is not too bad (not as good as Mark of the Ninja, but still...). Especially, for 1 $ you can basically do nothing wrong. Again, you will need Uplay for the games to work, though.

Well, thanks for the heads up!

I secured AC 1 and Chronicles to my main Uplay account - I've forgot, which email I did register the first AC game with ;)

Also got my Spendierhosen on, (does this translate?), and spend more, then one $...

Downloading China now and looking forward to a break from World of Tanks for the weekend :)

I also took the 1$ offer and since I already have AC Chronicles China, I have a spare key if anyone is intersted. I can also save it as a prize for any upcoming mapping contests (although I am not sure if this qualifies as a prize). I will wait a couple of days if anyone is intersted or tells me to save it for the moment.

EDIT: I have also already played AC 1 and am not sure if I want to play it again, so I can throw in this key as well.

Edited by Destined
  • Like 1

So the free spree is over now? I am late and never had time to do this for a service I'm not sure I'll use.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Speaking of free games, Mass Effect 2 is available "on the house" on Origin right now:

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/mass-effect/mass-effect-2/standard-edition

Don't use Origin, so don't know if this is worth it or not... But hey, if it's in my library I guess it could be an option at some point?

Origin is ok, if i had to choose between UPlay and Origin, i'd take Origin every day. It's a slim client, pretty unintrusive IMO, and they don't annoy you with e-mails or something either (i guess, if you don't choose to be bothered by newsletters). The Mass Effect games are nice. I'd think it IS worth it.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

Origin is ok, if i had to choose between UPlay and Origin, i'd take Origin every day. It's a slim client, pretty unintrusive IMO, and they don't annoy you with e-mails or something either (i guess, if you don't choose to be bothered by newsletters). The Mass Effect games are nice. I'd think it IS worth it.

Are they? The prospect of having a trilogy with a mediocre ending while lending to overrated expectations is worse than never getting a sequel to Half Life. I only played Mass Effect 1, and the blockbuster jazz on Mass Effect 2 that ends on a cliffhanger doesn't impress me when talking about it in context of the final game.

Moreover, you could say statistically the Ubisoft's policies aren't worse than EA's by a mile. To me at least Ubisoft tries to do something new occasionally, while EA had the most agressive policy of pushing through that Origin client of theirs (never making Battlefield Vietnam free even, which is symbolic). They removed the store page for old games on Steam in order to push them through exclusively through Origin. Relatively old. Such as Dead Space. They have the right. But it's low. I won't forget that. Ubisoft at least tries to be more mobile and dynamic.

Atm don't know if I'll bother with the UPlay client because it all takes time, but currently GOG and Steam definately deserve to be on the market. Origin should disappear. They don't try anything new like OnLive used to (which led them to closure by Murphy's Law).

Even Microsoft's Windows Store attempt #2 through Windows 10, being pre-installed (Games for Windows Live was miserable for 2008 games) has more karma than EA by now.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Regarding Mass Effect, I think the games are so good, that it makes up for the mediocre ending. But it definitely was not suited for such great games.

I cannot bring myself to getting Origin. It is one of the main reasons I still have not gotten Mirror's Edge 2 (apart from it not being on Steam, where I currently get 90% of my games). And I heard it is massivley invasive with things like scanning your computer for pirated games and some such (although this is also pretty old information and I have no idea, if this is still up to date). Anyway, I will refrain from getting Origin as long as I can.

• Like 1