The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.2.0 pre-release testing

Also not a bug per'se, but is there any reason DR always opens on the Console instead of the last window you had open, eg media or entity inspector windows.

No specific reason. It's possible to change that, I reckon.

I thought I'd try the Readables Editor with the changed game settings, to see if the "can't save" problem was solved.

It isn't.

Here are the changed game settings:

post-3633-0-79082500-1486226391_thumb.jpg

And here's the setting for the Readables Editor:

post-3633-0-60496700-1486226399_thumb.jpg

But when I open an existing readable, edit it, and try to save it, I get this:

post-3633-0-62708700-1486226407_thumb.jpg

There's no pk4 anywhere in the process. You can see that DR had no problem finding the readables text, but it's unable to figure out how to save any changes I make.

Yes, that's fine as long as you don't delete your darkmod tree from time to time, as I do.

Where, exactly, is it described in the wiki? All I found was this: "The fs_game setting should point to your darkmod installation." which is the way I had it, but apparently that's not correct.

Well, I have the setup similar to your first one. The only difference is that I store the missions inside the darkmod folder. I see that this is a problem if you occasionaly have to delete the darkmod tree.

My setup is like this:

Engine Path: H:

fs_game: darkmod

fs_game_base: fms/name_of_fm_I'm_currently_working_on

Except for particles, all custom files normally end up in the fms folder.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hm, is it possible to reproduce that somehow without your WIP package? I'm happy to look into that if there's a way.

I'll do this in stages, since I found a different problem while preparing a test map. :blush:

I set up DR with these settings, matching your suggestion for how work should be set up under the darkmod folder:

post-3633-0-67379400-1486232601_thumb.jpg post-3633-0-87418800-1486233634_thumb.jpg

I created the folder fms/readable.

I created a small map with a readable in it.

I put in some text.

post-3633-0-99028300-1486232982_thumb.jpg

I saved the readable and exited DR.

So far, no problems.

I opened the file darkmod/fms/readable/xdata/readable.xd and found the correct text inside it.

I opened DR, loaded the map, clicked on the book, and opened the Readable Editor, which gave me this:

post-3633-0-79710900-1486233258_thumb.jpg

Here's the test map:

readable.zip.txt

========================================

What am I doing wrong, that DR would forget about the contents of my readable?

I'd like to get this correct before I move on to understanding the problem with the game settings I normally use, which use full pathnames to place the FM outside the darkmod tree.

I opened DR, loaded the map, clicked on the book, and opened the Readable Editor, which gave me this:

Isnt this a known issue, as I have seen this before. In my case I believe I fixed it by nuking the contents of the entry for that readable, then copy and paste from a know working readable. I then replaced just the text that I actually wanted into the relevant sections.

Isnt this a known issue, as I have seen this before. In my case I believe I fixed it by nuking the contents of the entry for that readable, then copy and paste from a know working readable. I then replaced just the text that I actually wanted into the relevant sections.

If it's a known issue, perhaps it's something greebo can address at this point.

I've been using a workaround for the readable editor "can't save" message, but I hadn't seen text disappearing like this until I switched to the recommended FM setup this morning.

It would be nice to dispense with your workaround and mine.

@grayman: I loaded the map and there's indeed no text, which is due to the readable entity not specifying any xdata - the spawnarg is missing.

The xdata is correctly saved to the fms/readable/xdata folder. Then I tried to create a new xdata, which worked too.

The thing I noticed: after hitting "Save and Close" in the Readable Editor dialog, the entity is correctly equipped with the xdata_contents spawnarg, but the map is not marked as unsaved, so I could just quit DR without being notified about unsaved changes. My guess is that this is what happened to you as well? Did you create the readable, edit the xdata, save and close the dialog and then quit DR? Then the spawnarg was likely not saved to the .map file.

The "not marking as modified" issue is tracked and fixed: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4479

Does every mission author have a setup like this?

My preferences settings look like this:

Engine Path: "D:/games/"

Mod: "darkmod/fms/bh2"

Mod Base: "darkmod"

I don't know if it's possible but it would be nice to have this screen simplified to just "dark mod installation directory" and "FM folder". When I first came to the TDM world this game settings screen took me a long time to work out and i've seen a few posts over the years from others asking about the right settings too.

Provided it doesn't break anything it would be great to have that simplified version. And if it really needs to have the current setup maybe just a box tick to goto "advanced game settings" and have the current method in there?

Seems I mixed up mod and mod base all the time. Worked anyway, though.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The test with a full pathname failed.

Replicating my instructions above when creating the readable, the only difference is that instead of

Mod: fms/readable

I tried this:

Mod: C:/readable

and when I tried to change the text in my existing readable, I got the error dialogue in the last picture of this post above.

Seems I mixed up mod and mod base all the time. Worked anyway, though.

As long as there aren't any file name clashes the order actually won't make much a difference, apart from the file output issues. The order was very important back when it came to overriding the base resources from Doom 3 with TDM ones, like the main menu and player defs

The test with a full pathname failed.

Replicating my instructions above when creating the readable, the only difference is that instead of

Mod: fms/readable

I tried this:

Mod: C:/readable

and when I tried to change the text in my existing readable, I got the error dialogue in the last picture of this post above.

I'll look into that.

Confirmed. The Readable Editor cannot handle the absolute path names in the fs_game setting, it tries to append the fs_game path to the engine path, with a result like this: C:/games/darkmod/d:/temp/readable//xdata/readable.xd

edit: tracked and fixed http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4480

You're welcome, thanks for the confirmation.

I'm going to gear myself up for the release in the next few days then.

What did you think about my idea a couple of posts up? Is that possible?