The Dark Mod Forums

Almost Epic Adventures™ : The Goblin's Week | Wild Mage Games

wildmage

Haha I like the humour in this video :D

To me it looks promising, maybe there will be a demo some day for us Thief fans to test out the game (I cannot give much feedback just based on the trailer).

And I LOVE the way you can sneakily open doors! :wub:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Good job. Voted.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Looks nice. The artwork and the bits of the gameplay I can see from the video looks promising. But I guess stuff like "Styx" or "Cthulhu" are copyright-protected, although it might be allowed to use them in a satire?! Good luck there.

Voted. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hello everybody.

Thank you all for your likes, votes and feedback. It means a lot :)

For Styx is was only a nod in the trailer, it is not the actual goblin name. And I agree with Obsttorte, for me it would be anyway considered as satire.

Cthulhu is now copyright free, but I may remove it because summoning is slightly compatible with the lore. We will see.

Thanks again, and do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Edited by wildmage

• 3 weeks later...

Greenlighted.png

Good news, everyone! Almost Epic Adventures: The Goblin's Week has been Greenlit!

I really want to thanks everybody who supported my project on Steam and/or took the time to give me some feedback :)
I was especially happy to see that the game concept interested some of you, and that my target audience may really exists :P

What's next? I am working hard on the first alpha version that will cover the first days of the week.
After that I may try to run a Kickstarter to be able to work with a few contractors to improve the game.

In any case, I will keep you informed :)

• Like 4

Congratulations mista, and good luck on your future endevours. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Congrats to op on your greenlight success. Game looks very prommising to me so good luck with the dev!

That reminds me, I need to look at getting TDM on SGL...

Not to highjack thread but thats a pretty good idea, could bring some new players, especially if you add workshop. Edited by tefdal

That reminds me, I need to look at getting TDM on SGL...

At the moment it would be advisable to get these plans in motion concurrently with providing TDM with EAX functionality at 2.06. Then people with big expectations wouldn't be turned off so easily as it is a valid and long term complaint after all. A big turn-off.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry to have taken so much time since the last post, but I wanted to tell you that yes, the project is still alive, it is even going well. I begin to see the end of the development, even if it is still far away and that there are still many dangers to come.

Dev progress

Here is a quick review of the current game state.

• I have almost finished to code all game features.
  • The art style has been improved in a large part of the dungeon.
  • The game has been optimized a lot, even if I want to do more.
  • I improved the level design, even if there is still a lot to do.
  • Regarding the game content, I have split the game in four parts to focus on finalizing them one by one. The fist quarter is almost finished, and it will be the occasion to shoot more images and videos.

Here are some images on the game progress. You are more than welcome to tell me what you think of it.

2017-06-29_14h20_17-1024x576.png
2017-06-29_14h14_45-1024x576.png
2017-06-29_14h11_41-1024x576.png
2017-06-29_14h19_39-1024x576.png

Demo in a few months

Also, I will try to make a short demo from it in the upcoming months, so you can all see by yourselves if the game is really worth it.

Help me spread the word

My biggest concern is be to get out of the complete anonymity. So, if you like what you see and want to help me, do not hesitate to share.

Stay up to date

I post regular updates, devlogs, and other content on the blog, but also on several social platforms. The best way to follow the project is to subscribe to one of those:

Website-Newsletter
Diaspora*
Twitter
Facebook

Edited by wildmage
  • Like 1

haha, at first I was warming up for some not so nice feedback lol, but then it got interesting. Good work, keep going,

I like where it's going.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, here’s news from the front.

First of all, happy new year to all! I wish you good health, and success for your projects. As for me, I hope that this year will be productive, with the release of The Goblin’s Week :)

It’s been a year since the publication and acceptance of my game concept on Steam Greenlight, and the first video trailer. I announced that the game would be released in 2017, and that was not the case. The game should be released in 2018. It’s time to take a look at what has been done this year, and to present what remains to be done.

Review of the year 2017

This year, I was tired of adding more and more content, accumulating bugs, temporary 3D models, unfinished features, and so on. So, I focused on the first part of the dungeon, so that the content of that part is clean and polished.

So I redesigned and modeled the 3D characters, they are now all ready. I reviewed the 3D models used for this part, I reviewed the meshes, optimized the physical colliders, and improved the scripts. I got down to the hard task of optimizing performance, including setting up a progressive dungeon loading system. I did a thorough overhaul of a lot of the code to clean, optimize and solidify its basis. I notably reviewed the dialogue system, localization system, save system, inventory system, game management system, footsteps and collisions system, and weapons equipment system.

Refactoring these systems allowed me to do new things, for example here is a very recent video of a crossbow test:
[video=youtube;Q0LHWJwaq5U]

The first level is almost complete. All game features are implemented, although I still have to improve some stuff. For the other levels, some are already in an advanced state, others just in prototyping phase.

2018-01-04_17h40_37-1024x576.png
2018-01-04_17h43_43-1024x576.png
2018-01-04_17h39_26-1024x576.png
2018-01-04_17h45_40-1024x576.png

Having realized that the game development would take longer than expected, I tried to find an alternative funding source by selling assets for Unity. To date I have published three assets, sales are starting to take off a little but I have finally not gained more development time, compared to the time spent producing them. I would like to publish other assets, including the dialogue system, but given the required work I prefer to focus on the game.

To conclude, even if the remaining content of the game is still substantial, the state of the game itself has progressed enormously. I now have a solid basis, and everything is ready to create the rest as efficiently as possible.

Roadmap for the year 2018

This year, once the last elements of my version 0.1 are done, I will finally be able to work on the level design and game design, so that the gaming experience is the best possible and the closest to my goals.

I have already started to review all levels of the dungeon either on paper or in the editor, to rework the overall game experience. I want to have a first version of all areas to get the game as a whole. I will also have a better estimate of the remaining work, and I will be able to focus my efforts, and remove areas if necessary. I will then rework the levels gradually and iteratively, and I will create the necessary content and scripts as I go along. I will of course continue the playtests, although at the beginning I will continue to favor the observation tests, at home.

There are still some tasks for which I have trouble anticipating the difficulty, for instance the music composition, replacing all temporary sounds, and translating the game in several languages.

I talked about publishing a playable demo, it will not be for now. I’ll let you know if such a demo is finally released.

More screenshots

2017-11-15_12h00_59-1024x576.png
2017-11-15_12h00_10-1024x576.png
2017-11-15_11h57_32-1024x576.png
2017-11-09_11h51_28-1024x576.png
2017-11-15_18h08_06-Copie-1024x576.png

Stay up to date

To stay informed, I invite you to follow the progress of the game on my site, by subscribing to the newsletter, or via the various social networks:
Newsletter
Diaspora*
Twitter
Facebook

I hope you are as eager as me to see the game out. As always, do not hesitate to give me some feedback,
See you soon,

Arnaud

• Like 1

Viscera clean up detail was not part of the original inspiration. I discovered it the first time someone told me my game looked like a clone of it. But since then I played and analyzed it, so it is now one of my inspirations.

But to be clear, cleaning the dungeon is only a sub-part of the game.

There are others tasks to do for the master, like cooking or getting the mails, but the real game is actually investigating into forbidden areas.

My game is an adventure-investigation game. What originally interested me was "what if instead of being a hero you were a simple minion working in the dungeon of an evil master".

The cleaning part is more a fun way to roleplay being a minion, and is part of the game story.

I know my video and presentation page must be improved to better explain what kind of game it is.

Legend of Grimrock is an inspiration only for some parts of the dungeon, like the maze, but in my game there are almost no combats. I focus on searching for traps and avoiding or breaking them.

Amnesia is certainly a huge inspiration for the game mechanics, like doors interactions, but also for physics-based and narrative puzzles.

Recently I played a lot to Thief 1 & 2 and Deus Ex for their level design, multiple solutions, stealth mechanics, and emergent gameplay.

Adventure games like Monkey Island are also an inspiration for the humor and comedy-based puzzles.

My goal is to combine the fun and humor of classic adventure games with the reactive gameplay of simulation-based mechanics.

Edited by wildmage
  • Like 1