The Dark Mod Forums

My first map – questions & work in progress

peter_spy

The bitmap paths in the ase files start with \\purgatory\purgatory (see the video you've linked as well as the ase files shipped with the mod.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Ok, now I got the basic fog down, delta1 looks good, shaderParm3 is the fog end range. Looks like the light needs to be scaled a bit beyond any walls, so it doesn't end so abruptly, but that's fine. The question is, is there a parameter for fog start range? Often you don't want the fog to start where the player is, but like 128 or 256 U away.

Oh, and I can make skyboxes the same way I did in unreal, nice :)

Edited by Judith

Obsttorte made a fog fading script: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=9330

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14394-apples-and-peaches-obsttortes-mapping-and-scripting-thread/page-9?do=findComment&comment=310721

Another option, which is a pain, would be to experiment with a falloffImage. As I recall, in fogs the falloff image controls the density

from the light_center. At Doom3world, I think I recall someone claiming that it actually took a 2D image shaped like the region they wanted

fogged. I keep forgetting to test this.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Now I'm trying to make alpha materials, first off is the alphatest type. From what I've seen in materials in DR, I have to specify a separate grayscale image that is used in makealpha stage. Is there a way just to use the alpha channel of TGA texture instead?

Btw. my material looks like this:

textures/tut/alphatest/bush01
{

noshadows
nonsolid

surftype15
description foliage

qer_editorimage textures/tut/alphatest/bush01_ed

{
maskcolor
map makealpha(textures/tut/alphatest/bush01_alpha)
alphatest 0.5
}

diffusemap textures/tut/alphatest/bush01_d
bumpmap textures/tut/alphatest/bush01_n
specularmap textures/tut/alphatest/bush01_s

// TDM Ambient Method Related, etc.

Edited by Judith

Yes, you just save your .tga with an alpha channel and set the diffuse stage like this:

{
blend diffusemap
map models/md5/chars/townsfolk/wench_dress

alphaTest 0.5
}

• Like 1

Yes, you just save your .tga with an alpha channel and set the diffuse stage like this:

{

blend diffusemap

map models/md5/chars/townsfolk/wench_dress

alphaTest 0.5

}

That works perfectly, thanks! One important thing is, this actually replaces the diffuse declaration in your material, so after deleting the "diffusemap textures/tut/alphatest/bush01_d" line everything worked great.

Also here is a quick and dirty way to make an decal with an alpha - dont know if this is the correct way etc. All I do in Gimp, paint.net, etc, is I have 4 channels (RGB & Alpha) and I just delete what I want to be transparent -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5kxM4tyjQI

Great video Biker, although making a bush or piece of grass would be much easier ;)

Now onto the 8-bit alpha.

One important thing is, this actually replaces the diffuse declaration in your material, so after deleting the "diffusemap textures/tut/alphatest/bush01_d" line everything worked great.

That's what he meant by "set the diffuse stage to" ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Sorry, I'm a dummy when it comes to GLSL programming. But, I'm slowly getting somewhere. I see that there's no proper 8-bit alpha, only the 'translucent' keyword that uses the black and white values from the image. Surely it's a good thing for local fog, smoke and such things.

I also like how the cubemap is modified by the normalmap. It can be used both for frosted glass, ice and snow, gold, silver etc. I also checked the heat haze, but I'll have to look at it more closely later. Not sure why I'd need a giant ice block here, but oh well ;)

tut_2017_02_04_00_10_04.jpg

Edited by Judith
  • Like 2

• Like 1

Yeah, I found those two, but didn't understand much, so I looked up some of the materials in DR to see how they work. Then I tried pasting fragments of code to my own materials to see what they actually do in particular stages. At any rate, the transparency is handled much better than in T3.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

Alright, I wanted to try this out since I first saw scaling lights and projection textures. This example is very crude, will be much more refined in the future, and not during the daytime ;)

tut_2017_02_04_21_49_54.jpg tut_2017_02_04_21_13_03.jpg tut_2017_02_04_21_13_46.jpg

Edit: this probably needs some more explanation. this is 3dsmax Daylight system at work. I basically recreated those walls in max and used Render to texture feature to bake lightmaps, and then used them as projections in spotlights. The time was set to 2 pm though. Later I'd tweak it to get some nice lightmaps for the nighttime.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 4

These are from like 3-4 years ago, but thanks. By the way, if anyone needs a fast way of doing those:

vaulted_ceiling01.jpg

You can actually save even more poly by making just one of these four arches and then cloning and rotating it. You just need to make it tile properly.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 3

Another series of tests, this time with blending modes and mostly greyscale images. Actually I was trying to make detail normalmaps first, but couldn't blend two normalmaps together. I know a nice trick from UE3 on that, but I wasn't able to recreate it in GLSL. But, as a side effect, I was able to make a "dirt macro-texture", which is a classic way to break up your tiling a bit. It's nice that scaling works properly, although the minimum range is only 0.1. Well, that's still enough to break up obvious patterns on larger surfaces.

tut_2017_02_06_20_50_43.jpg

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

You can blend normals together using the addnormals keyword.

You can also use a black and white bias texture with blend filter to reduce the normals or remove them

from regions:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14394-apples-and-peaches-obsttortes-mapping-and-scripting-thread/page-14?do=findComment&comment=395180

It's a simple thing really:

textures/tut/base/wall01
{

// tile, carpet, dirt, gravle, grass, rock, twigs, foliage, sand, mud, brokeglass, snow, ice, squeakboard,
// puddle, moss, cloth, ceramic, slate, straw, armor_leath, armor_chain, armor_plate, climbable, paper, hardwood

surftype15
description stone

qer_editorimage textures/tut/base/wall01_ed
diffusemap textures/tut/base/wall01_d
specularmap textures/tut/base/wall01_s

{
blend bumpmap

map addnormals(
add(
textures/bias_map.tga, textures/tut/base/wall01_n.tga),
add(
invertColor(textures/bias_map.tga),
textures/tut/base/wall01_dt.tga)
)
}

I tried putting my normal and detail normal somewhere there, but it's definitely wrong ;)

Hmm, unless you forgot to copy it, the only thing I see missing is the closing } (bracket) at the bottom.

Can you post your file paths in the host OS?

Also, perform a condump:

(in the console)

condump texture_issue.txt

This worked:

{
blend bumpmap
map addnormals(textures/tut/base/wall01_n.tga, textures/tut/base/wall01_dt.tga)
}

But I also need to perform additional operations on the detail texture, like be able to change rgb and scale. Not sure how red, green, blue and scale parameters should look like here.

Edited by Judith