The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

Uh...

?

Hell yeah, I love this video.

I remember looking up for TDM videos on Youtube when I was trying to figure out if it was worth playing the game. This video is what really convinced me to download The Dark Mod.

So yeah, definitely add this to the Steam page.

Edited by Jon Irenicus

I agree that it's a poor showing compared to now. That said, we could probably post a video of an elderly alcoholic vagrant defecating on a sidewalk

with the rate we are approaching Greenlight approval now.

The music is good whatever you say.

Surely you don't truly mean that defecating alcoholic vandals aren't popular on Greenlight?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91573598

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Amazing how there are two threads about this, and none offers a single link as to where on Steam this is. Obviously because I want to vote for it and support this!

That said, it comes as a surprise to see TDM on Steam. Granted it's usually known for commercial games, and not very frequented by Free & Open-Source Software. Considering TDM's non-commercial strictness, I further wouldn't have expected it... of course Steam allows free games to be hosted as well, so probably no biggie there.

Amazing how there are two threads about this, and none offers a single link as to where on Steam this is. Obviously because I want to vote for it and support this!

When you want to vote, you need to go to "Greenlight" in the "Community" tab. There you can just search for "Dark Mod" and you will find it.

Greenlight titles are comparatively hidden, most likely because it would be just too much if you would find all Greenlight titles with a regular search.

Where did you vote? Because I looked on both threads again and even searched on Steam itself, and there is no link anywhere to be found (just a TDM group which I just joined).

Might be you missed the post I made before, so I repeat:

When you want to vote, you need to go to "Greenlight" in the "Community" tab. There you can just search for "Dark Mod" and you will find it.

Greenlight titles are comparatively hidden, most likely because it would be just too much if you would find all Greenlight titles with a regular search.

Edited by Destined

Might be you missed the post I made before, so I repeat:

Sorry about that, missed it... a lot of posts were made all of a sudden and it threw me off. Found it and gladly voted!

I'm interested to know how much of a team decision this was. I've been musing about TDM on Greenlight recently too, so it's opportune that you guys have submitted it when you did. The way I see it you may have to research into putting in a Workshop option since, if our numbers blow up as they ought to when exposed to an audience as wide as Steam's, all the FM mirrors are gonna shatter :D.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

That said, it comes as a surprise to see TDM on Steam. Granted it's usually known for commercial games, and not very frequented by Free & Open-Source Software. Considering TDM's non-commercial strictness, I further wouldn't have expected it... of course Steam allows free games to be hosted as well, so probably no biggie there.

Absolutely not. Check Heroine's Quest The Herald of Ragnarok. Decent point & click on Steam 100% for free.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Absolutely not. Check Heroine's Quest The Herald of Ragnarok. Decent point & click on Steam 100% for free.

Heroine's Quest is great! A worthy full-length successor to Quest for Glory - and yes, completely free.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Will the FM's be hosted on Steam servers?

I really hope TDM won't have to exclusively depend on Steam's servers. I personally think Steam is nice because it makes TDM more accessible and boosts its publicity, but we still are a FOSS project with its own internal development system and servers. Just my thoughts... a mirror on Steam would be nice honestly, but please don't move all FM's there forever!

For fuck's sake, we're not seriously considering adding a video from 2005, that still has the Doom 3 hands in it??

I'm working on a new trailer that should be out by the end of the week, and it uses recent missions along with 2.05.

Pending community approval that will hopefully be the steam greenlight trailer.

I vaguely recall recommending this, and someone pointed out that more popularity isn't always inherently good.

I'm hesitantly eager to do this, but please, for the love of all that is holy, do not alter design direction based on those that do not intend to continue enjoying the game.

This will invite many passersby who will play a mission, offer advice, and leave before bothering to try another.

I already feel a tad dirty having influenced this community's map makers somewhat (Sotha and Dragofer, I know you guys keep me in mind for your maps but that was never really what I wanted), but many, many more voices will pop up with the introduction of this game to Steam.

In particular, do not give much credence to anything on the Steam forums. There are few greater pits of ignorance, stupidity and decay.

I really hope TDM won't have to exclusively depend on Steam's servers. I personally think Steam is nice because it makes TDM more accessible and boosts its publicity, but we still are a FOSS project with its own internal development system and servers. Just my thoughts... a mirror on Steam would be nice honestly, but please don't move all FM's there forever!

This as well, less dependence on Steam is better.

If we use this as publicity and nothing more, I'll be perfectly happy, but as it stands I feel like I'm seeing my favorite indie band sign up with iTunes, this is a major flag of potential issues in the future.
Tread carefully, please.

Edit: Feel free to use anything on my channel for this if you want to, just let me know you've done so.

Edited by Bikerdude

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.