The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

As a brazilian, I find that untrue and offensive.

Why? I mean, why do you find that offensive? It wasn't meant offensive, and, it's kind of a fact that the per capita income is lower than, say, in moderately wealthy european countries.

Of course, it doesn't all bow down to that. Just a piece of the puzzle i guess. I guess it's also a cultural thing, whether video games are popular or not. But, if you can't afford a high end machine, running the latest generation of video games, that won't really contribute much to it either.

Edited by chakkman

Why? I mean, why do you find that offensive? It wasn't meant offensive, and, it's kind of a fact that the per capita income is lower than, say, in moderately wealthy european countries.

In terms of sales? Perhaps. But for the purpose that is in TDM, making Spanish translation to reach millions of people as millions of Spanish speaking people play games either paid or free. Or Pirated.

TDM needs to be at least Top 25. Anything less would be a blow to the Prestige of the game. Behind a Pokemon Clone, that's not the look! TDM needs to be in Victory at all cost.

Of course, it doesn't all bow down to that. Just a piece of the puzzle i guess. I guess it's also a cultural thing, whether video games are popular or not. But, if you can't afford a high end machine, running the latest generation of video games, that won't really contribute much to it either.

I also found your comment offensive because is uncalled for, this is not a comercial game where selling statistics should matter, we shouldn't put aside a part of the gaming population just because you think they don't buy games enough and btw, i'm Portuguese as well and i'm not from south America.

IMO TDM is a free game that should be open to any and all languages, if the TDM team, for obvious reasons, can't do all the translations, imo a tool should be made, where users can do that relatively easily for their language, at lest for the game interface and tools, if missions for some reason are not easy to change or if the mission developer don't want anyone to translate it.

I can help with Russian and Romanian.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Ok so i've gone through the thread and i've compiled everyone's comments, feedbacks and offers.

Thank you to everyone who has responded!

Here is the list of definite changes I have:

- Changed the dark radiant scene to make it more fluid and show off more than the model selection screen
- Closed Captions will be added to the YouTube video CC section (these are not hard coded into the video but rather an option to turn on for those who would like it).
- Change the safe sequence to show off rope arrows/noise arrows (to avoid spoilers)
- Voice over will be redone, to have a better pace and tone and be more consistent in style
- Change the "inspired by thief" part and move it to earlier in the script (after talking about the history of the game)
- "Mac" will be changed to "OSX" and "PC" will be changed to "Windows"
- Make the black jacking scene with picking up the body brighter (or possibly change it to different footage)
Something I am a little unsure of is making the smoke intro fade in later so you can't see the point of origin for the smoke... I think the smoke looks fine but someone has raised that as an issue. If no one else complains I will leave it as is so speak up now if you want that changed (the video will fade in later so you can't see where the smoke is coming from). I liked the fact that you see it start from left to right and fill up the screen myself.
Ok so there are a few things that are still to be decided so I have created a couple of polls that I would like everyone to fill out please, stating what your preferences are. These polls will be open for 24 hours from this post, when I take the data from them and make the changes. Here are the questions and the links to their related poll:
Should the last 30 seconds of the trailer remain or be cut? http://www.strawpoll.me/12306963
Should the song be changed? - http://www.strawpoll.me/12306964
Should the ingame footage be reshot? http://www.strawpoll.me/12306967
Should the background music audio level be tweaked? http://www.strawpoll.me/12306970
Should the video be more energetic and exciting? http://www.strawpoll.me/12306975
And finally translators we have kindly had some forum members offer up their language skills to translate the video. Keep in mind this will be going into the youtube CC options (which means you can turn it off if you don't want it) but the more languages the better as I don't believe there is any restriction on what's offered. Because the steam greenlight page embeds a youtube element these will be visible on youtube (For people who have CC turned on). It' s basically a nice option to have that helps out our non-native English speaking friends :)
Translator volunteers so far:
Anderson - Russian and Romanian
Gast - French
Judith - Polish
Obsttorte - German
Taquito - Spanish
If you would like to volunteer as a translator, once the final script and video is done I will get into contact so we can get the translation added to the video ASAP.
If you see a language not on the list that you would like to translate for, please let me know and I will update the list to include you.
That's all for now!
Edited by Goldwell

That might be just my browser, but I can't vote in the polls because of the redirection loop.

Perhaps try another browser?

If not you can either write your choices in here, or if you want them to be anonymous just PM me with what your choices are and I will add those to the final tally once I get the final numbers tomorrow.

After all, English, Spanish, and French is the big three.

What is this statement based on. German, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese etc... are also languages spoken by a big number of persons. The russian community on Thief is pretty large for example.

And the german speaking countries (mainly Germany, Austria and Switzerland) are main consumers when it comes to pc games, hence almost all big games get translated into german (similar to movies).

However, as already stated, as a free game we don't really have to bother which language is spoken by the people with the biggest purse.

If you want to get an idea where people playing TDM from taking a look at those who are in the forums might be of use. As far as I have noted it we have persons from:

• USA, Canada, GB and other english speaking countries
  • Germany (lots of them :P), probably Austria and Switzerland
  • Poland
  • Czech
  • Russia
  • Finland
  • Sweden (maybe Norway??)
  • South Africa
  • Japan
  • France
  • South America (AFAIK the main languages there are Spanish and Portuguese)
  • Italy

I may have missed some. However, it's a pretty rough take condensating all of them to three main languages you consider to be 'big'.

@Goldwell: Once the script for the video is final, can you pm me a written version of it for the translation, please?

It might also be worthwhile having a second person per language for proof-reading. When translating FM's we've also used to be several persons to yield a good result. This, however, might not be possible for all languages if we are lacking people.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Goldwell: Once the script for the video is final, can you pm me a written version of it for the translation, please?

It might also be worthwhile having a second person per language for proof-reading. When translating FM's we've also used to be several persons to yield a good result. This, however, might not be possible for all languages if we are lacking people.

Will do! I plan on sending out a mass PM to all the translators on the list once the script is final (which i'm hoping will be done tomorrow).

That's a good idea about the proof-reading suggestion, so yeah anyone who is interested in translating even if we have a translator, please speak up and i'll add you to the list.

Something I am a little unsure of is making the smoke intro fade in later so you can't see the point of origin for the smoke... I think the smoke looks fine but someone has raised that as an issue. If no one else complains I will leave it as is so speak up now if you want that changed (the video will fade in later so you can't see where the smoke is coming from). I liked the fact that you see it start from left to right and fill up the screen myself.

Thank you for your work. Maybe don't bother with the smoke especially since the effect was intentional :smile:

Edited by Gast

What is this statement based on.

Years of experience in localisation business. Typically, this is the minimum scope for western culture. In most cases that scope is larger and includes e.g. most of the European countries. It usually depends on the budget and target markets.

Edited by Judith

Thank you for your work. Maybe don't bother with the smoke especially since the effect was intentional :smile:

I've moved it forward a bit actually so the smoke still comes across the screen but it's not as obvious where the point of origin is. It does look better so I guess I met you halfway on that one ;)

I've moved it forward a bit actually so the smoke still comes across the screen but it's not as obvious where the point of origin is. It does look better so I guess I met you halfway on that one ;)

Great! I was just bugged by the very first frames, I'm sure the spreading effect looks perfect now.

Years of experience in localisation business. Typically, this is the minimum scope for western culture. In most cases that scope is larger and includes e.g. most of the European countries. It usually depends on the budget and target markets.

The minimum scope for what? What products are we talking about?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I also found your comment offensive because is uncalled for

Not that i want to make a bigger deal out of it than it is, but, since when is something offensive, when it is "uncalled for"? Or was my comment offensive out of another reason? I don't see it. Maybe it is already offensive these days, when you point out a country's per capita income. :wacko:

I don't think i'd find it offensive if someone pointed out that Denmark's, or Switzerland's per capita income is higher than Germany's. It's a fact, so why would i feel insulted, or less worth?

Edited by chakkman

The minimum scope for what? What products are we talking about?

Scope of a localisation project, for anything really. I think we're getting offtopic here. Right now TDM menu supports like 10-15 languages, German and Spanish included, the rest is up to FM authors.

I believe Judith was referring to the polls I posted about the trailer

Yup. I get the same results under Chrome too, I'll try from another PC later today.

Wouldn't it be more interesting to know of which countries the most The Dark Mod players originate? I mean... how much worth is it that around the world the respective languages are spoken, when close to none players of the game originate from there?

There was actually a poll about that here in the forum some time ago. It might be outdated by now, but still schould give a good indication about countries of origin on this board.

I would volunteer for proofreading the German version of the closed captions.

Edited by Destined

Yup. I get the same results under Chrome too, I'll try from another PC later today.

If that doesn't work feel free to PM your answers, or post them here and i'll add them on after the final count is drawn :)

Wouldn't it be more interesting to know of which countries the most The Dark Mod players originate? I mean... how much worth is it that around the world the respective languages are spoken, when close to none players of the game originate from there? I do know that south american e.g. doesn't hoard a lot of players of modern games, simply because the per capita income is low there, and many people are not able to buy a high end computer, which runs the latest generation of games. Considering that most of the spanish, or porotguese speaking people originate from there, it would make such a statistic pretty pointless.

@Chakkman, (I had to go back through the thread to find the comment that started this) perhaps what you could have said -

"Statistically speaking I believe that South America doesn't contain a lot of players of contemporary games, perhaps due to the lower per capita income and as a result players aren't able to be able to purchase a mid-high end machines. So with the aforementioned facts in mind, It might not be worth translating into Spanish or Portuguese?"

As I have just found out, Latin America does indeed have the highest number of Spanish/Portuguese speaking players, but there are also a lot of other country's where Spanish & Portuguese is spoken.

@Jon Irenicus & HKmart, I would like to believe CHakkman was trying to offensive on purpose, don't forget for a lot of people people on this forum English isn't their first language so there are bound to be some miss-communication etc. And this coming from someone who is a native english speaker and can't type for shit.. :laugh:

Edited by Bikerdude
edited in light of Springheels coment.